British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Speedway Drive-ins

SPEEDWAY DRIVE-INS

Does anyone have any funny or interesting stories relating to vehicles parked on the terracing at places like Stoke and Long Eaton, where you could watch racing from the comfort of your car?

Were there other venues that allowed vehicles to park inside the stadium, providing a view of the racing (in UK or abroad)?

In response to another online post, I received comments about car lights being flashed to signal a home win, about some passengers hiding in the boot (to avoid paying admission money!) and one needing a tow when his car tyres got stuck in mud. Another fan's dad owned a motorhome and would start cooking dinner when he parked up at Loomer Road!

I think I'll write a piece about 'Speedway Drive-ins' in our next Round The Bend newsletter, so I hopefully look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks,
TMc

Could do a drive in at Buxton. 

Seem to recall an incident, where two riders tangled (may have been Benji Compton and Ashley Mallet), the latter going over the fence, and landing on a car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RS50 said:

Could do a drive in at Buxton. 

Seem to recall an incident, where two riders tangled (may have been Benji Compton and Ashley Mallet), the latter going over the fence, and landing on a car.

Did he get the boot?

• Like 1

The closest I ever got to cars being parked within the confines of a stadium was the back straight at Dudley Wood. Recall talking to Hans Nielsen's wife, Suzanne, who was watching the racing from his van.

• Like 1