British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayFan91

Belle Vue vs Ipswich (playoff semi 2nd leg) 25/09/23

So a six team Prem with Brum in for Wolves and no P'boro?

Meh.

7 hours ago, bellevueace said:

One question could there be any possibility of Wolves running at Birmingham in the short term whilst looking for a site to develop?

Little to no chance of that. Big meetings I hear with the greyhound people about the future of speedway there. It’s another place that’s likely to be lost to speedway in the near future.

greyhounds already running Wednesday nights so alternatives needed for the Brummies. CVS would have said that Wolves would be running at PB in 2024.

3 hours ago, SUPERACE said:

Rumores of it yes.

Very unlikely. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, one of clubs said:

Gutted about the result last night, in all honesty we lost it at FH and that is what put us out. Congratulations to Ipswich and good luck in the final.

I wish fans of other tracks would stop banging on about having a stadium built for us using public money. They do not complain about Manchester City paying peanuts in rent for a new stadium for their sole use, or West Ham having their security and other operating costs paid for by the taxpayer.The stadium and the newly build surrounding leisure facilities are for general public leisure use and not exclusively for speedway. We hope that some time in the not too distant future that once defunct tracks return and that there are no more under threat, which is something all fans know the sport can not afford. 

Pure jealousy. It took hard work by Mort & co. to get the council to layout for a new track. No doubt they reminded the council that Hyde Road track was of international renown for 50 years,  had provided jobs in the area, won many sporting accolades, had 4 riders winning seven world individual world championships (that’s PCx2, OF, PC, JCx3), provided wholesome entertainment for families over decades etc.                              

If Wolverhampton or Peterborough, or indeed anywhere council, offered to cough up financial support to build a track I am sure the supporters in those areas would be cock-a-hoop at the offer. Unfortunately in today’s climate it is highly unlikely it will happen. But instead of being happy that a team (and everything that surrounds that term) has managed to continue successfully, some members of the speedway family begrudge others having got what they would definitely be very happy to receive in their own area. If you are REAL speedway fans everyone should be unreservedly happy for any team to receive help from whatever legit source.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 4

Congratulations to Ipswich. Over the 2 legs 2 points better,well done. Looks like Sheffield will make the final again, so I will sit on the fence and just enjoy what I hope is a final just as good and intense as last season. How ironic would it be if R Lambert who helped Belle Vue win it in 2022 against Sheffield , then helped Sheffield in 2023.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

Given his lay off the previous 7 days or so its a stunning bit of guts and determination to even ride let alone pull off that heat 15

And he had 10 rides in the Golden Helmet the day before! Incredible determination.

50 minutes ago, hyderd said:

Congratulations to Ipswich. Over the 2 legs 2 points better,well done. Looks like Sheffield will make the final again, so I will sit on the fence and just enjoy what I hope is a final just as good and intense as last season. How ironic would it be if R Lambert who helped Belle Vue win it in 2022 against Sheffield , then helped Sheffield in 2023.

It was a 6 point aggregate victory. Quite comfortable in the end ;)

14 hours ago, Beowulf said:

The British League got up to 19 teams at one stage. Hull (boulevard) and Newport (Somerton park) were awful tracks, square around football/rugby pitches, but I never wanted them gone. They provided speedway for fans in those places  and better that than nothing at all.

Totally agree, and yes Hull was a terrible track, i remember going there for one meeting and Belle Vue refused to ride and walked out, the home riders rode round on their own for a walk over, but as you say no one wants to see any track close.

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

Would certainly be no compaints from Qwlerton this time :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

It would certainly be ironic. I’m a Tigers and Aces fan but even I think it makes a joke of the sport. Not sure how Kelvin will explain it on TV to the casual viewer! But them’s are the rules. 

9 hours ago, stevebrum said:

Little to no chance of that. Big meetings I hear with the greyhound people about the future of speedway there. It’s another place that’s likely to be lost to speedway in the near future.

greyhounds already running Wednesday nights so alternatives needed for the Brummies. CVS would have said that Wolves would be running at PB in 2024.

Very unlikely. 

But strong rumour Brummies moving upto premiership on a Monday using the bulk of this years wolves team and possibly Pete Adams as manager.

1 hour ago, bellevueace said:

Totally agree, and yes Hull was a terrible track, i remember going there for one meeting and Belle Vue refused to ride and walked out, the home riders rode round on their own for a walk over, but as you say no one wants to see any track close.

I remember Ivan mauger talking about Hull quoted as saying "it's like going down a corridor and turning left" :blink:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Well 2 of the wolves lads have gone to Leicester I’ve heard. 

but there will be a big wolves influence at Birmingham. On track and off it 

Got to be Masters and Douglas right? Considering how well they ride the Leicester track.

2 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

But strong rumour Brummies moving upto premiership on a Monday using the bulk of this years wolves team and possibly Pete Adams as manager.

Hopefully that's true, We can't lose Pete as well because he's a character in his own way lol.

2 hours ago, Wolfie456 said:

I wish them well with that, how on earth given the previous difficulties at Birmingham do they think that this would be a good idea

As for Uncle Pete I think it's time he put his feet up 

34 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I wish them well with that, how on earth given the previous difficulties at Birmingham do they think that this would be a good idea

As for Uncle Pete I think it's time he put his feet up 

What and miss his happy smiling face? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1