British Speedway Forum
Arch Stanton

Ipswich v Sheffield play off final 1st leg

3 hours ago, GeneralMelchett said:

I said this pre meeting - I felt Sheffield were weaker - Tobias would have been good for 11/12 points - Jack Holder the same - Tai maybe

If Sheffield had kept Jack they couldnt have strengthened the team

20 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Last night as a team they were not good anough on the night end of .Anyone with half a brain would have been happy with that first leg lead.Forget Danyon do you not think Emil/ Doyley could of taken some of the blame last night? they were under par for there mega ability. No i wouldn’t because they have been outstanding all year. Hume , Rew, Thompson x2 have rode there balls off all year but with a top heavy side this side still did very well you need to get real.

Ipswich suffered through blind loyalty, how Riss was still in the team for the play offs  is crazy, Sheffield did the right thing by replacing out of form riders, Ipswich should have done the same.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:13 PM, foreverblue said:

Ipswich suffered through blind loyalty, how Riss was still in the team for the play offs  is crazy, Sheffield did the right thing by replacing out of form riders, Ipswich should have done the same.

Doing that never works generally and to be fair Riss has improved in the last five weeks .Who would you bring In Available anyway ?

27 minutes ago, Sidney the robin said:

Doing that never works generally and to be fair Riss has improved in the last five weeks .Who would you bring In Available anyway ?

R/R would have been better than Riss

On 10/6/2023 at 3:08 PM, foreverblue said:

So keep an injured rider and use guests as he was injured at the time the transfer window shut ? Use guests to cover. That would go down well on this forum with all the abuse sheffield have had in the play offs with using guests 

22 minutes ago, Charlieboy said:

So keep an injured rider and use guests as he was injured at the time the transfer window shut ? Use guests to cover. That would go down well on this forum with all the abuse sheffield have had in the play offs with using guests 

Love them or hate them guests are a part of speedway in this country.Sheffield made a choice to strengthen the team overall which meant Jack could not return as they kept Tai who was originally signed as a injury replacement. Jack could have returned when fit.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:08 PM, foreverblue said:

On 10/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, Charlieboy said:

So keep an injured rider and use guests as he was injured at the time the transfer window shut? Use guests to cover. That would go down well on this forum with all the abuse sheffield have had in the play offs with using guests 

@Charlieboy not necessarily, if Woffy was kept as an injury replacement for Holder, then Jack could have come back in, it would have meant keeping Ellis & Kerr though, not bringing in C.Holder & Vissing.

Would have meant less guests needed, which they wouldn't have known they'd need at the time obviously.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

@Charlieboy not necessarily, if Woffy was kept as an injury replacement for Holder, then Jack could have come back in, it would have meant keeping Ellis & Kerr though, not bringing in C.Holder & Vissing.

Would have meant less guests needed, which they wouldn't have known they'd need at the time obviously.

Jack wasn’t fit enough to come back In because of his injury. He wouldn’t have been able to ride in all our meetings. He was only just able to manage his GP last 2 rounds with long gaps in between. The GP tracks are easier to get round than Wolves and Ipswich with their tight bends. End of the day guests are used by every team and you are always going to try and use horses for corses whichever team you are. I don’t like them but it’s the nature of the beast   Sometimes they pay off sometimes they don’t. I don’t think Harris and Lambert scored more than Jack and Tobi /Wuffy would have done so we didn’t benefit from that. Ellis could have had one of his better nights and scored what Noddy did so Jye was probably the difference replacing Vissing who still hasn’t returned from injury. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlieboy said:

Jack wasn’t fit enough to come back In because of his injury. He wouldn’t have been able to ride in all our meetings. He was only just able to manage his GP last 2 rounds with long gaps in between. The GP tracks are easier to get round than Wolves and Ipswich with their tight bends. End of the day guests are used by every team and you are always going to try and use horses for corses whichever team you are. I don’t like them but it’s the nature of the beast   Sometimes they pay off sometimes they don’t. I don’t think Harris and Lambert scored more than Jack and Tobi /Wuffy would have done so we didn’t benefit from that. Ellis could have had one of his better nights and scored what Noddy did so Jye was probably the difference replacing Vissing who still hasn’t returned from injury. 

Don't think anyone else disputes the use of guests in the circumstances - the injuries were unfortunate and unforeseen

It was the fact that Lambert should never have been allowed to be one of the guests that is more the issue

Agree that being able to replace Vissing was the difference in the scheme of the bigger picture 

The changes made and the way that was undertaken also leaves a lot to debate as to the ethics of it but quite frankly I can no longer be bothered!!

4 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Don't think anyone else disputes the use of guests in the circumstances - the injuries were unfortunate and unforeseen

It was the fact that Lambert should never have been allowed to be one of the guests that is more the issue

Agree that being able to replace Vissing was the difference in the scheme of the bigger picture 

The changes made and the way that was undertaken also leaves a lot to debate as to the ethics of it but quite frankly I can no longer be bothered!!

Allowing Lambert to ride is how you interpret the wording of the rule as with many rules. I don’t understand why they couldn’t just add lamberts rides last year to his then average so he’d have an updated average this year. Why are play offs not added to the riders current average. I think all official matches should count. League /Cup/play offs. The changes we made had to be made because it’s a numbers game. We couldn’t just change one rider   In my opinion I would have kept Kerr as he’s a better performer at Ipswich and Wolves. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks on here because we can’t change anything. 

5 hours ago, Charlieboy said:

Allowing Lambert to ride is how you interpret the wording of the rule as with many rules. I don’t understand why they couldn’t just add lamberts rides last year to his then average so he’d have an updated average this year. Why are play offs not added to the riders current average. I think all official matches should count. League /Cup/play offs. The changes we made had to be made because it’s a numbers game. We couldn’t just change one rider   In my opinion I would have kept Kerr as he’s a better performer at Ipswich and Wolves. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what anybody thinks on here because we can’t change anything. 

Fully agree as an Ipswich supporter I have no issues with Sheffield operating within the rules & that’s what they have done.

It was clear to me after reading the rules  thatt Lambert could ride in the play offs. In fact that was the morning after Doyle was injured in the go when I suggested Ipswich book him for the semi finals.

However what I think needs to change is any rider being able to ride for more than one team in the playoffs. Harris representing Ipswich in the semis & Sheffield in the final is just ridiculous. Secondly if using guests in either the semi final or final the same guests should ride in all the matches unless the rider they are guesting for is declared fit.

That would prevent the team using guests opting for a horses for courses policy.

Any way some more loops holes to look into & close. Enjoy your winter, can’t wait to welcome Sheffield back to Foxhall next year.

On 10/3/2023 at 10:54 PM, Jonny the spud said:

This is my first time on here in about a month. I stopped following the sport in the Uk. 

...mmmm

On 10/9/2023 at 6:57 PM, cowboy cookie returns? said:

Fully agree as an Ipswich supporter I have no issues with Sheffield operating within the rules & that’s what they have done.

It was clear to me after reading the rules  thatt Lambert could ride in the play offs. In fact that was the morning after Doyle was injured in the go when I suggested Ipswich book him for the semi finals.

However what I think needs to change is any rider being able to ride for more than one team in the playoffs. Harris representing Ipswich in the semis & Sheffield in the final is just ridiculous. Secondly if using guests in either the semi final or final the same guests should ride in all the matches unless the rider they are guesting for is declared fit.

That would prevent the team using guests opting for a horses for courses policy.

Any way some more loops holes to look into & close. Enjoy your winter, can’t wait to welcome Sheffield back to Foxhall next year.

Enjoy our winter while you cry the entire time?

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Enjoy our winter while you cry the entire time?

I've watched the final half a dozen times now. can't stop watching it.