British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayFan91

Sheffield Tigers vs Ipswich Witches (playoff final 2nd leg) 05/10/23

15 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

"Pure quality", sorry If you think that's how away team fans should be spoken too, I'd call it "pure ignorance" especially as many the Ipswich fans probably go and support Tai at Cardiff.  

Well done Kyle Howarth (and sort of Sheffield) on last night's medal (last man standing he needs to be named). Just a shame Lewis Kerr wasn't riding as well.

Surprised he got a wild card for GP's over Max Fricke.

12 hours ago, Gavan said:

Friends of mine and other Ipswich fans have had to leave for fear of their own safety and couldn’t even go talk to the Ipswich riders to thank them for their season … lovely fans up there 

Weve had abuse thrown at us all season, perhaps theyve got over last season now, and to think about all the hullabaloo when we brought in a guest for an injured number one. Wasnt a bad meeting considering the weather, as i said Ipswich would get turned over as they were carrying four passengers.

So as a speedway fan without a club to support, last night did become interesting, and despite the rain and what Tatum kept saying, I thought there were some good racing moments.   I didn't see Sheffield pulling it back, and fair play to them.

But.... I have always said speedway is ridiculous having play-off's to decide the league title winners.  Makes no sense, it makes the entire league season somewhat pointless.  With so few teams in the league over half the league qualify, and as it was last night the 3rd/4th place league finishes contested the final.    To give speedway some credibility the league season winners should be automatically seeded to the final and get choice of 1st/2nd leg.  The 2nd/3rd place teams content a semi-final.   And for a slightly improved weather situation the final should be the middle of September.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Endeavour said:

Surprised he got a wild card for GP's over Max Fricke.

Quite agree with you, perhaps it was a case of not how you ride but who you know

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great effort and result by the Tigers a well deserved win. BUT I still feel the whole play off pantomime and ‘guest’ riders situation is farcical. I know thems the rules of the league competition BUT the true 2023 Champions are Belle Vue who dominated over the whole season from start to almost the end. This manufactured for TV end of season cash in climax featuring 3&4 placed teams and bringing in mercenary riders who could not be bothered to ride all season in the UK makes for a hollow victory and the sport as a joke. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hammer1969 said:

Quite agree with you, perhaps it was a case of not how you ride but who you know

.. and a Monster sponsor perhaps?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bellevueace said:

Weve had abuse thrown at us all season, perhaps theyve got over last season now, and to think about all the hullabaloo when we brought in a guest for an injured number one. Wasnt a bad meeting considering the weather, as i said Ipswich would get turned over as they were carrying four passengers.

I don't think bringing in a guest is the main issue, it's being able to bring in riders that don't ride in the UK all season then when they've finished riding abroad they come back over here for a few meetings to boost their bank balance and their medal cupboard.  Robert Lambert now has winners medals 2 years running from different clubs and years down the line when looking at statistics it will make him look good even though he only played a very small part in those clubs.  The rules need sorting so that Lambert and others can't do the same again next year.

• Like 2

With good friends in both camps, I watched and hugely appreciated both legs.

What more can we ask for, that was a Grand Final coming down to the very last heat after so many twists and turns?

Last night's Heat 13 saw Jason Doyle at his very best, a magnificent race, one for the archives.  Truly amazing stuff.

And the matchwinner for Sheffield wasn't Lambert, wasn't Bomber or even Chris Holder -- it was Jye Etheridge.    

Well done Reggie!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WembleyLion said:

With regard to Tai’s comments. He 
sure is 
a great rider but one with an extremely limited range of vocabulary which probably explains his difficulty in communicating without expletives.

Can you have imagined say Nielsen, Gundersen, Loram, Rickardson or any of those former World Champions doing that?

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 6

Well had a night's sleep to get over the disappointment,  but am pleased for tigerblade, Kyle,  Picko and Jason. 

We win as a team and lose as a team, and boy has this witches 7 been a team. It has been an absolute joy having Emil race for us and along with Doyley must take the credit (along with Peterborough obviously) for us being in  the final. 

I'm sure Guy is a happy bunny, both his teams winning the end of season trophies. 

• Like 4

A guest rider is entitled to payment and praise for the points they score but nothing else, league winners medals should only go to the riders who are in that teams official one to seven regardless of whether they are fit to ride or on the injured list.

If it was me, I would have felt embarrassed about getting a medal for one guest appearance, but maybe it shows just how much some of these modern riders really don’t care about which body colour they are wearing anymore.

Can you imagine a scenario back in the day where Sam Ermolenko would guest for Cradley Heath in a play off final, help them win the league and then actively celebrate with them? I don’t think so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marko said:

A guest rider is entitled to payment and praise for the points they score but nothing else, league winners medals should only go to the riders who are in that teams official one to seven regardless of whether they are fit to ride or on the injured list.

If it was me, I would have felt embarrassed about getting a medal for one guest appearance, but maybe it shows just how much some of these modern riders really don’t care about which body colour they are wearing anymore.

Can you imagine a scenario back in the day where Sam Ermolenko would guest for Cradley Heath in a play off final, help them win the league and then actively celebrate with them? I don’t think so.

If the money was decent of course he would of.

9 minutes ago, marko said:

To be fair I remember Tatum helping Cradley win the Cup one year V's Wolves I was there to see it, he was really given a great reception by the Heathens fans. I think it was 89 - of course the year of Eriks accident. However I really can't recall IF he celebrated wildly or got a medal!

Edited by GeneralMelchett
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheReturn said:

As a neutral onlooker I don't think it was. It was embarrassing and  unprofessional. 

Shows a total lack of class and  humility. 

Sounds like a lot of people have lost a lot of respect for him.

If I was his sponsor I certainly would not have liked it

Edited by KevtheRev