British Speedway Forum

Yep, Barker definitely > Hume.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2023 at 7:02 AM, Phil The Ace said:

He said he will be ready for start of the season last night at the maugers 

Interesting, I didn't expect that tbh. 

On 10/29/2023 at 7:35 AM, Arch Stanton said:

If you’re starting with a blank canvas then sure, but just going off the Ellis rumour it leaves 4.16 for a sixth rider IF the limit is confirmed at 40 for six riders at the AGM. Emil, Doyle, King, Ellis, Rew leaves a 4.16 gap. Personally I’d take Barker over Hume (both fit) all day long. Looking at the Green Sheets, only options appear to be Rowe, Kemp, Hume and Barker. Who would you go for? Let’s not forget Barker is popular with the management here, apparently he’s great in the pits and is a good team man. He’d soon swap with Rew after the first set of averages and I think he’d score decent enough points at reserve. 

Edit: This is the Belle Vue thread not Ipswich, apologies. 

I can't see Rowe or Kemp as surely we would've used them last year as rising star. I would go Barker over Hume imo I don't think he'd chuck away as many points as Hume does when he comes under pressure from opposing riders. Unless they punt for another 4 point assessed average man?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

Interesting news that brennan will not be riding for belle vue next year

We new that would be the case, victim of the averages unfortunately.  Been great for the Aces, wish him good luck for next year. 

34 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

We new that would be the case, victim of the averages unfortunately.  Been great for the Aces, wish him good luck for next year. 

Agree with your post I  would say however that at the tail end of the season Imo the travelling got to him a little and his form dipped a bit.                                            next year he is riding in four leagues which will add even more travelling to his schedule this is on top of sgp qualifications  rounds and riding for GB be interesting how he copes and if it affects his form with his new club.

I do find the use of averages still a completely unnecessary system where teams that are successful are ripped apart. Teams are built to a decimal off the daft points limit and then we see multiple team changes throughout the year. Riders should be graded and throw the calculators in the bin. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, SUPERACE said:

A victim of fighting with your team mates maybe? I've always thought Brennan comes across really well with his public persona but now he's been binned off by Glasgow & Belle Vue ;)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Coventry_Bee said:

I do find the use of averages still a completely unnecessary system where teams that are successful are ripped apart. Teams are built to a decimal off the daft points limit and then we see multiple team changes throughout the year. Riders should be graded and throw the calculators in the bin. 

so instead of using a fair method of an average based on their actual form, you want everyone to be graded which isn't fair way at all?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iainb said:

A victim of fighting with your team mates maybe? I've always thought Brennan comes across really well with his public persona but now he's been binned off by Glasgow & Belle Vue ;)

I think he has probably reached his peak

• Like 1

1 hour ago, therefused said:

Absolute nonsense! Can’t wait to see him prove you wrong.

Why are we so good at writing off our own young talent in this country 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, therefused said:

Absolutely ridiculous notion when you consider that he is 22 and racing in an era when many riders peak over 30 (Freddie Lindgren 38 this year for example), and has markedly improved his average every year  including the current one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, therefused said:

At 22 give over. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, therefused said:

Not for me Geoff.

6 hours ago, Coventry_Bee said:

I do find the use of averages still a completely unnecessary system where teams that are successful are ripped apart. Teams are built to a decimal off the daft points limit and then we see multiple team changes throughout the year. Riders should be graded and throw the calculators in the bin

Not sure that would be any better, let's say for example 9.00 = grade A, 8.00 = grade B, 7.00 = grade C etc. An 8.99 rider is the same grade as an 8.00 rider. But a 7.99 rider is a whole grade below 8.00.

Doesn't matter where the cut-off is, some riders would become far more valuable than others!

The use of averages certainly has it's flaws, but it's the best system available imo.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1