British Speedway Forum

On 11/26/2023 at 8:29 PM, JoeW436 said:

Not much between them but probably be a good idea for Tom to have a fresh start somewhere else, his progression has stalled slightly in the last 18 months. 

Think all the meetings Tom was doing caught up with him towards the end of last season

The amount of travelling on himself and wear and tear on his equipment.

Next season he's added another League I wouldn't be surprised if his average drops. Dont know the reason he was released couldn't have just been his average otherwise we could have kept James

Maybe Mark thought he was taking to much on

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DBP said:

Think all the meetings Tom was doing caught up with him towards the end of last season

Next season he's added another League I wouldn't be surprised if his average drops. Dont know the reason he was released couldn't have just been his average otherwise we could have kept James

Yes when you compare him to other riders of a similar age his progression has stagnated lately imo, maybe he is spreading himself a bit thin like you said.

On 11/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, DBP said:

Think Tom is a good prospect and has some great meetings but tend to agree his schedule seems quite hectic.Takes its toll unless you have great set up.

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

Think Tom is a good prospect and has some great meetings but tend to agree his schedule seems quite hectic.Takes its toll unless you have great set up.

Tom, for me, is a rider that will have a career similar to Steve Worrall..

A 3rd HL/Best Second string, depending on the top 3's level based on the team ponts average strength..

A good solid rider rather than a "world beater", (as they tend to be those who can pass opponents often as well as gate), and there is nothing wrong with that...

Wish him the best for next season, its been good to watch his progression at the NSS..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Brady Kurtz 

norick blodorn 

jaimon lidsey

ben cook

daniel Bewley 

Connor mountain

connor Bailey 

Be interesting to see how Jimmy does at reserve.

21 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

Brady Kurtz 

norick blodorn 

jaimon lidsey

ben cook

daniel Bewley 

Connor mountain

connor Bailey 

That’s a weak team imo compared to the other teams I’ve seen built for 2024. Need Dan to be fully committed to the UK this year & big improvements needed from norick who will be in the main team?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Chrisdonnelly said:

That’s a weak team imo compared to the other teams I’ve seen built for 2024. Need Dan to be fully committed to the UK this year & big improvements needed from norick who will be in the main team?

I’m the total opposite myself. I see a team where all 7 riders could improve and I don’t think no other team could say that. 

regarding Dan, he’s had his metal work out now. So hopefully see a new Dan next season. 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:32 PM, DBP said:

Not sure but strange that him and Charles Wright released from the club following their spat earlier in the season.just a thought.

42 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

I’m the total opposite myself. I see a team where all 7 riders could improve and I don’t think no other team could say that. 

regarding Dan, he’s had his metal work out now. So hopefully see a new Dan next season. 

I hope your right. Norick has been good at reserve but not sure how he'll mix it at no 2. Conor mountain hasn't set the world alight and been knocking around a few years now. I do like Ben cook, Lidsey & Kurtz in the team however 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:39 PM, Chrisdonnelly said:

At first glance, I thought the same, however, Bewley was at least one average point below what should be expected of him as a genuine World Class rider, and Lidsey is one of the most improved riders over the last few years globally, and next year over here I can see him also putting a point on his average...

The concern is that the Aces don't seem to have that "fourth heat leader" like they had the last two seasons with Wright at four...

They also don't have that reserve/second string rider, and that is important as this rider effectively means the No6 will always be of a high standard when averages change...

Blodorn, Wright and Brennan swapped last season..

They look a "top second string" short and a "strong No 6" short too, to compete for the title, for me..

• Like 1

On 12/1/2023 at 2:09 PM, Phil The Ace said:

It’s a decent side I don’t think any side can be classed as poor until we see what they go like as a team 

However my team Ipswich and Belle Vue have replaced 2 riders each from the 1-7 last season 

Belle Vue replace Wright and Brennan ( who in the league meetings at Foxhall got 15 and 19 between them ) with Cook and Mountain which makes them weaker in my opinion (especially at Foxhall)….. and Ipswich have replaced Riss and Hume with Ellis and Jenkins which in my opinion makes them stronger … so we beat Belle Vue in the play offs last year and this season I would fancy us again 

I admit obviously each team has strengths at different tracks like Sheffield look strong but the Holders sulk at Foxhall and Tai hasn’t been there for years …. For example Iversen and Musielek will probably outscore the Holder brothers easily at Foxhall 

Still it’s all about opinions … may the best team win lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gavan said:

It’s a decent side I don’t think any side can be classed as poor until we see what they go like as a team 

However my team Ipswich and Belle Vue have replaced 2 riders each from the 1-7 last season 

Belle Vue replace Wright and Brennan ( who in the league meetings at Foxhall got 15 and 19 between them ) with Cook and Mountain which makes them weaker in my opinion (especially at Foxhall)….. and Ipswich have replaced Riss and Hume with Ellis and Jenkins which in my opinion makes them stronger … so we beat Belle Vue in the play offs last year and this season I would fancy us again 

I admit obviously each team has strengths at different tracks like Sheffield look strong but the Holders sulk at Foxhall and Tai hasn’t been there for years …. For example Iversen and Musielek will probably outscore the Holder brothers easily at Foxhall 

Still it’s all about opinions … may the best team win lol

Can’t disagree with everything you have said there. Your changes are better than ours for sure. 

we are clearly hoping our top 5 can all improve. Especially Bewley. He’s the key to me 

3 minutes ago, Phil The Ace said:

Can’t disagree with everything you have said there. Your changes are better than ours for sure. 

we are clearly hoping our top 5 can all improve. Especially Bewley. He’s the key to me 

Agreed, but Lidsey also can go onto that "No1" level...

As he has shown in the UK, Poland and for Aussie, he has developed into that class of rider just below the very top level..

He does run too many lasts for a 7 point rider though, so by just getting even more thirds he will naturally improve his average in the UK...

If he can improve another level this year, then the Aces could have three "No1's"...

Which, as they have swapped Wright and Brennan, for Cook and Mountain, you think they would need to have...

That alone is a four point reduction, (minimum) per match for me, and you also have to factor in how many % of races they both won, meaning no loss of points to the opposition in those heats..

eg Charles in heat 14 was often a " banker" when they needed him..

Also then you add in Blodorn's scoring at SS v Reserve and there is another possible one to two  point drop per match too if he doesnt start to improve his SS scoring..

And, it is also very unlikely the Aces will have a "top reserve" every other month through the season, as averages change, like all the successful teams seem to need...

Personally, I would have found a way to keep Wright...

His injuries may impact, but for will to win and sheer entertainment at the NSS, not many match him...