British Speedway Forum

1 hour ago, hyderd said:

I thought the full team was being announced. Is there a surprise or shock waiting in the wings. Over to you Phil the ace

You want more than 7 in the team?

Great side but was always gonna be weaker than last year. Will be strong at home but weaker away. I'd still be happy with that side

4 hours ago, foreverblue said:

Ipswich look stronger, this team doesnt look good to me, Mountain will be a massive weak link.

Because Ipswich finished on 39.16 so they could get stronger!!!!!!

4 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

Don’t underestimate Ben Cook, he was very impressive last year after settling down

Ben Cook is the real improver .And Belle Vue are going to need him to be.

17 hours ago, mikebv said:

They have to start the season on a lower team average than they ended last year with, so they were bound to be weaker..

Unless they could have got a "four point superstar" on an obviously false assessed average..

Personally I would have gone for a weaker No6 and replaced Blodorn with Charles Wright, as "the tail" looks too long if the Aces want to be title contenders...

Thy don't look like they have that "4th Heat Leader" that they had with Wright, and, instead have two clear Second Strings and two clear reserves..

Could have had the top 3 +Wright  Cook and Mountain and Bailey stronger imo.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

`what's happened to Mulford he was improving before his accident?

Obviously weaker on paper but looks decent but has a few question marks about the 2024 version.

Lidsey will need to keep the improvement but won’t add the same amount on his average of 2023 which was a real ringer of an average.

Blodorn into the main body of the team has a bigger task as well. Has plenty of time on his side, is decent at the NSS however its away he will need to improve.

Doesnt hit the way that Sheffield, Ipswich and now Leicester do on paper for me.

Teams looking good all around tho of those announced. 

13 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Under the current team average, I'd argue there's only 1 heatleader & 4 2nd strings. Only the top averaged rider has a fixed position in the team. 

Well .. the idea of a 'heat leader' is surely to be the best rider for the team in a heat, whatever that heat is.  Until heat #12 that's the case if #1, #3 & #5 are the heat leaders... ignoring heat #2 & #8.

There is a valid argument for putting a teams 3rd best rider at #4 rather than #3.

The terms are historical. Modern day...#1 & #5 - Big hitters, #2, #3, #4  & #6 Engine room, #7 Rising star are more appropriate.

It was more interesting when team managers had a job that required craft and they could put any rider in the top 5 where they wanted. Bring that back!!! I'd always want my teams best rider at #5 & my teams best gater at #2.

19 hours ago, RoundTheBoards said:

You want more than 7 in the team?

When I asked the question the full team had NOT been announced. No need to get smart. 

17 hours ago, DazS said:

`what's happened to Mulford he was improving before his accident?

He's not as good as Mountain or Bailey so no place for him in the team.

The Belle Vue team doesn't look bad at all, but so far all 6 completed sides look decent, so hopefully it'll be a very close league. On paper I'd say Belle Vue don't look a "top 4" team, but if they can get lots of bonus points - can make it.

Bit of a lopsided fixture list, 4 matches in April, but only 1 in June & 2 in July.

At least there's 5 NL fixtures to fit in to plug the gaps.

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

Bit of a lopsided fixture list, 4 matches in April, but only 1 in June & 2 in July.

At least there's 5 NL fixtures to fit in to plug the gaps.

There are 4 speedway of nations meetings to plug the gaps in July.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hyderd said:

When I asked the question the full team had NOT been announced. No need to get smart. 

It was, you asked that question Saturday morning, the full team was announced Friday evening.