British Speedway Forum
Barrow Boy 2

Leicester Lions 2024

5 hours ago, Skidder1 said:

...getting a last minute flight to Tenerife, I imagine!!:D

He doesn't want to miss the pi**- up

On 11/12/2023 at 7:49 PM, szkocjasid said:

As they haven't listed any changes to the RS criteria, I believe all of the 2023 "rising stars" are still eligible to remain in that role for 2024?

On 11/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, W9 Lion said:

Wont Kemp be to old?

The rule was something like under 25 or 26 at the start of the season, so Kemp could have potentially 4 or 5 more seasons (unless he averages over 5.5) as a "riding star".

That was the rule when it was introduced & I've not seen any changes announced since then.

13 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The rule was something like under 25 or 26 at the start of the season, so Kemp could have potentially 4 or 5 more seasons (unless he averages over 5.5) as a "riding star".

That was the rule when it was introduced & I've not seen any changes announced since then.

The term ‘Rising Star’ should imply youngster on the way up. Riders in their mid twenties should not be put in this category for team structures. The RS position is currently protected in heat formats and in my opinion, riders of that age should be able or prepared to mix it with all riders in the league.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Teromaafan said:

The term ‘Rising Star’ should imply youngster on the way up. Riders in their mid twenties should not be put in this category for team structures. The RS position is currently protected in heat formats and in my opinion, riders of that age should be able or prepared to mix it with all riders in the league.

I honestly believe they made the rules so Josh Bates would fit (he was just under the qualifying averages in both leagues). But I think it's worked out ok tbh. If the rule was just U-21s, you could end up with riders well out of their depth in the Premiership. 

Plus they want to cater for any late starters in the sport I guess?

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I honestly believe they made the rules so Josh Bates would fit (he was just under the qualifying averages in both leagues). But I think it's worked out ok tbh. If the rule was just U-21s, you could end up with riders well out of their depth in the Premiership. 

Plus they want to cater for any late starters in the sport I guess?

Another example of the sport pandering to riders. If you’re a late starter then your route to the top may be slightly harder. Get on with it. The competitor should bend to the rules of the sport, not the other way round. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The rising star initiative in its current guise should be nowhere near the Premiership

The Championship should hang its head in shame that they dropped it

I wholeheartedly agree with the second part, but think the RS scheme works well for both leagues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

I wholeheartedly agree with the second part, but think the RS scheme works well for both leagues.

How does the RS scheme work for the Championship? :blink:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

How does the RS scheme work for the Championship? :blink:

By creating a pathway for young riders at Championship clubs to ride against some of the best in the world, improving them and subsequently their scores at Championship level?

56 minutes ago, RogerM22 said:

By creating a pathway for young riders at Championship clubs to ride against some of the best in the world, improving them and subsequently their scores at Championship level?

How it trailing half a lap behind "some of the best in the world " going to improve them? 

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut

1 hour ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

How it trailing half a lap behind "some of the best in the world " going to improve them? 

Do you think either Thompson twin found no benefit in riding with Doyle/Emil and against other world class riders? Maybe they'd improve anyway, but what's wrong with guaranteeing them a space? It should be a thing in both leagues.

3 minutes ago, klstarsfan said:

Constantly riding against easier opponents is not going to improve a young rider, they need the challenge! 

To be the best you have to ride against the best ..

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:33 AM, FishersGate said:

His lad is a junior speedway rider. P Cairns. 

Well well well.....its almost like I always knew all along ;)

9 hours ago, 2ndbendbeerhut said:

If you look at the averages of the best 7 "riding stars" they are fair aves for reserves imo, so shows the quality is there to continue with the RS system imo. If they all averaged below 3.00, I'd agree the system doesn't work in the Prem.

J.Jenkins (4.21)

D.Kemp (4.04)

L.Flint (4.00)

A.Rowe (3.76)

D.Thompson (3.70)

D.Gilkes (3.67)

C.Bailey (3.57)

Biggest flaw this year was clubs not using the best options, so a couple of riders may have been out of their depth.

Even if there's injuries, still riders like Jack Thomas, Jason Edwards, Henry Atkins & Ashton Boughen waiting in the wings.

Getting off topic now,

So for Leicester, I'd go with Kemp as my RS.

Edited by szkocjasid
  • Like 1