British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolverhampton 2025

With apologies to 847084, thought this would be a better way to continue the discussion. From the local Express & Star newspaper:-

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/speedway/2023/11/02/wolves-new-speedway-track-hope/

The club are looking at a site which would host speedway, motocross and potentially BMX. If a BMX track is installed that would result in a grant from the Olympic Committee.

I imagine that any stadium would be 'very low key'. I seem to remember that Peter Adams, as an architect, designed Vojens for Ole Olsen (someone let me know if that is incorrect). But hey we don't want to get ahead of ourselves just yet. 

16 minutes ago, Beowulf said:

With apologies to 847084, thought this would be a better way to continue the discussion. From the local Express & Star newspaper:-

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/speedway/2023/11/02/wolves-new-speedway-track-hope/

The club are looking at a site which would host speedway, motocross and potentially BMX. If a BMX track is installed that would result in a grant from the Olympic Committee.

I imagine that any stadium would be 'very low key'. I seem to remember that Peter Adams, as an architect, designed Vojens for Ole Olsen (someone let me know if that is incorrect). But hey we don't want to get ahead of ourselves just yet. 

That’s potentially good news, let’s hope things progress well. I think Wolverhampton 2025 maybe a little optimistic as it took Gordon and Morton over 10 years to get our BV stadium built. I won’t mention Swindon!!  

2 minutes ago, Speedtiger said:

That’s potentially good news, let’s hope things progress well. I think Wolverhampton 2025 maybe a little optimistic as it took Gordon and Morton over 10 years to get our BV stadium built. I won’t mention Swindon!!  

Track, pits and grass banking will do me for starters ! The key thing is planning permission. A site at i54 has been mentioned and that could be under the auspices of South Staffs council,  or jointly with Wolverhampton council, so that particular site might have complications but we can't consider anything until the location is revealed. The site that they are looking at is within 15 minutes of Wolverhampton, and you can go a fair way in 15 minutes of driving.

2 hours ago, Beowulf said:

The site that they are looking at is within 15 minutes of Wolverhampton, and you can go a fair way in 15 minutes of driving.

Haha! On a Friday afternoon a 15 mins drive from the City (Town) centre would just about get you to Monmore Green! :D

38 minutes ago, Lefty said:

Haha! On a Friday afternoon a 15 mins drive from the City (Town) centre would just about get you to Monmore Green! :D

I live about a mile from Monmore. In 15 minutes I can almost be in Walsall, and wouldn't want a track there.:o

4 hours ago, Beowulf said:

Track, pits and grass banking will do me for starters ! The key thing is planning permission. A site at i54 has been mentioned and that could be under the auspices of South Staffs council,  or jointly with Wolverhampton council, so that particular site might have complications but we can't consider anything until the location is revealed. The site that they are looking at is within 15 minutes of Wolverhampton, and you can go a fair way in 15 minutes of driving.

If something is in South Staffs then how could it be "jointly with Wolverhampton" unless the site borders both

South Staffs AFAIK has never had a speedway track and it must be doubtful if they'd be in favour 

40 minutes ago, noaksey said:

If something is in South Staffs then how could it be "jointly with Wolverhampton" unless the site borders both

South Staffs AFAIK has never had a speedway track and it must be doubtful if they'd be in favour 

I believe that with the i54 site where Jaguar Landrover are both councils colloboated together ( I don't know whose land it is)  to deliver economic benefits to the area. As a hypothetical example, if the i54 land was owned by Wolverhampton but access to it was via South Staffs ? Anyway best to wait until the location is revealed, might be somewhere totally different. 

• Like 1

The Key to the Report is that it says Wolves are working with City Councillors - which implies its under the jurisdiction of Wolverhampton City Council.

The only site that has been mentioned that possibly fits in with this is the i54 site and even that must be borderline.

The other rumoured sites have all been in South Staffs which will be totally different from trying to deal with Wolverhampton City Council.

As has been mentioned a drive of 15 minutes from the Stadium could be within quite a large radius on a good day or a small one on a bad day.

Lets hope there is serious cause for optimism in this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beowulf said:

I believe that with the i54 site where Jaguar Landrover are both councils colloboated together ( I don't know whose land it is)  to deliver economic benefits to the area. As a hypothetical example, if the i54 land was owned by Wolverhampton but access to it was via South Staffs ? Anyway best to wait until the location is revealed, might be somewhere totally different. 

Cheers, good info that 

11 hours ago, Speedtiger said:

It'll be a very basic venue to start with.  Not a chance of the stadium being at the same standard as the NSS from the word go.

Long way to go, bit hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel for us getting back.  The only concern would be getting to the site on public transport if its any distance away.  Fine work those of us with cars, but maybe not so much for those who used to hop on the 79 bus to get to Monmore

Edited by MattB

6 minutes ago, MattB said:

It'll be a very basic venue to start with.  Not a chance of the stadium being at the same standard as the NSS from the word go.

Long way to go, bit hopefully some light at the end of the tunnel for us getting back.  The only concern would be getting to the site on public transport if its any distance away.  Fine work those of us with cars, but maybe not so much for those who used to hop on the 79 bus to get to Monmore

Agreed, a long way to go and sure there will be many twists and turns to face but fingers crossed things will turn out well. 

1 hour ago, MattB said:

Agreed, Monmore  easy to get to,  very close to the town/city centre. 

Neither Trelawny or Somerset had stadiums but every visit was memorable and the racing was first class.

• Like 1

And don’t forget that CVS has had a hand in doing this before at Redcar. Very basic to start with but perseverance and patience will bring improvements. 

20 hours ago, Lefty said:

Surely the 'new' Wolves won't want to race on a Friday?! Rob Godrey would have a fit!!:t:

• Haha 1