British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
frigbo

Bob Duckworth RIP

Sadly  reports today that former Belle Vue, St Austell, Newcastle and New Zealand rider Bob Duckworth passed away on Wednesday. Bob was 94.

That's sad to hear. Was only thinking of him the other day. Heck of a nice man and a good steady rider.                                       

When he rode for Belle Vue he lived in Partington, same village where the Collins/Morton clan was from (and they were then active riding around the Collins farm). My dad had a railway arch as a garage, plenty room for dads car plus Bob's speedway bike and gear.  It would be 1963 when Bob was invited to present trophies at the Manchester Gran Prix cycle speedway championship at the Carrs Wood, Gately track. He asked Mum, Dad and myself along. That was my introduction to cycle speedway, starting as a rider in the Manchester winter league that same year.

Sad news indeed, but memories are priceless.

Very sad to hear...

Very much part of the Belle Vue heat leader trio in the early 60's. He was also one of their three New Zealanders along with Ron Johnston and Bryce Subritsky.

• Like 1