British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies 2024...

11 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

I respect   your right to have different opinion and to express that opinion. That is what forums are for and after all, we all want  the team to be the best it can be and for the efforts of the management to be rewarded. 
I just get miffed when people bang on about not having a team of “has beens “ then get all excited about signing  the likes of Zagar or Schlein. I’m not saying Schlein is finished but, he’s well past  his best and personally, I’d prefer we sign someone who can progress snd grow with the club over the next few seasons, such as Mateus cuerniak, two times world under 21 champion and future works champion . There are countless young Polish/ Scandinavian riders who would excite me more than Schlein 

I totally agree with you...

Zagar/Schlein wouldnt be my choices either....I for one havent shown any excitement/enthusiasm about signing either...I've just made speculation/prediction based on rumour/availability...

Yes, my spirits have been lifted with Sam on board and I have said and I'll say it again....I hope he has some say in the direction of the rest of the team selection...

I think Zach Cook is a no brainer....always goes well at PB and I think he has the potential to finish ahead of Brennan/Worrall (at home).

The three signings already made, are a great start.

We have two of the best young  British talents in Flint and Brennan and Worrall is a reliable middle order rider who  would be an ideal third heat leader. If we sign Zac Cook, then that fits my bill for an upcoming rider with great potential for the future 

every other team has at least two world class riders and we must match that, to have any hope of having a successful season. That means finding a way of affording the likes of lindgren, lambert or laguta. It means adding riders like jan kvech to complete a solid, competitive top five. 

I know we negotiated with lindgren but it never came to fruition. I hope the management have looked at the team they had in mind snd have realised they needed to add more fire power so , we await the news with great anticipation snd bated breath. 

2 minutes ago, the hobbit said:

We have two of the best young  British talents in Flint and Brennan and Worrall is a reliable middle order rider who  would be an ideal third heat leader. If we sign Zac Cook, then that fits my bill for an upcoming rider with great potential for the future 

every other team has at least two world class riders and we must match that, to have any hope of having a successful season. That means finding a way of affording the likes of lindgren, lambert or laguta. It means adding riders like jan kvech to complete a solid, competitive top five. 

I know we negotiated with lindgren but it never came to fruition. I hope the management have looked at the team they had in mind snd have realised they needed to add more fire power so , we await the news with great anticipation snd bated breath. 

Agreed!

And I also hope that the signings are positive enough to keep you attending...afterall the 'sh#te' you've weathered up till now, it would be a shame if you missed out on seeing some 'top-class' racing!

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Agreed!

And I also hope that the signings are positive enough to keep you attending...afterall the 'sh#te' you've weathered up till now, it would be a shame if you missed out on seeing some 'top-class' racing!

I’m not prepared to watch the dross we had to put up with last season. After over 45 years of watching the Brummies, I lost my love for the team  towards the end of last season, for the  first time ever, I was on the  verge of going home before the end if the meeting, several times. There were far too many times when the result was a forgone conclusion by heat five. It was embarrassing and humiliating 

The way they have watered down the championship yet again. I definitely would not have attended if we had stayed in the championship 

the thought of watching some of the best riders in the world, does excited me but, not if our team is so weak, we are thrashed every week. If that’s the case, then I will not be attending. I have to use a days  holiday from work to attend every match and I’m no longer prepared to give up 80% of my annual leave to watch us getting thrashed every week. 

my next decision then , would be wether  to give up Speedway all together or to watch somewhere else which, would be very hard because my heart belongs to and , is  with the Brummies  

I do hope I'm wrong but for me Birmingham seem to be an NDL club, crowd wise, trying to run in the PL, they really need to make a big number 1 signing to convince the fans or it could be a very short season :(

Well they took my advice getting Sam in as Team Manager, so I'd like to see Nicki and Rory plus one more. NOT Shamek though as Nicki detests him with a passion.

6 hours ago, the hobbit said:

Yes, club hype. What else  do you expect them to put? They understandably chose to ignore the comment I highlighted. 

first part you quote from my post was about Sam being dull, my opinion , others are entitled to their own opinion. listen to the interview again, Sam clearly states he’s got a lot to learn and again, you can’t expect the club to highlight this comment. 

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not., wrong that is ) But is that not exactly what you have done?  Ignore the part of the post that highlights your own opinion.?

4 hours ago, the hobbit said:

We have 

I know we negotiated with lindgren but it never came to fruition.

You really should back such comments up with at least some form of proof otherwise it's just words.

3 hours ago, the hobbit said:

I’m not prepared to watch the dross we had to put up with last season. After over 45 years of watching the Brummies, I lost my love for the team  towards the end of last season, for the  first time ever, I was on the  verge of going home before the end if the meeting, several times. There were far too many times when the result was a forgone 

the thought of watching some of the best riders in the world, does excited me but, not if our team is so weak, we are thrashed every week. If that’s the case, then I will not be attending. I have to use a days  holiday from work to attend every match and I’m no longer prepared to give up 80% of my annual leave to watch us every week.

And that would be a sad loss for a club that is fighting for its very life.  But I understand and respect your views on this one.  But perhaps its time for a little quiet now at least until the next signings.  After all you have actually agreed that the signings thus far are good ones. 

9 hours ago, the hobbit said:

I know we negotiated with lindgren but it never came to fruition. I hope the management have looked at the team they had in mind and have realised they needed to add more fire power so , we await the news with great anticipation and bated breath. 

I don't think every other team has two world class riders, only Ipswich & Sheffield do imo

10 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

I totally agree with you...

Zagar/Schlein wouldnt be my choices either....I for one havent shown any excitement/enthusiasm about signing either...I've just made speculation/prediction based on rumour/availability...

Yes, my spirits have been lifted with Sam on board and I have said and I'll say it again....I hope he has some say in the direction of the rest of the team selection...

I think Zach Cook is a no brainer....always goes well at PB and I think he has the potential to finish ahead of Brennan/Worrall (at home).

I would've picked Schlein ahead of Worrall & Z.Cook. 

Schlein rode pretty much all last year as number 5, so his average will be lower due to racing heat 13s, whereas Worrall got heat 8 every week & Cook heat 2 every week, so they should find it harder to maintain their averages (unless they stay in the same spot).

If there's no one better out there, I'd have all 3.

9 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

If there's no one better out there, I'd have all 3.

That assumes that those are the last 3 riders on earth that you can possibly pick, There's a whole continent full of riders across the water that have never ridden in the UK before who would be able to do a better job. Broaden your horizons, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Just a slight input in to this massive conversation,

at least 20 of the riders of the other teams have

not rode PB in the last 2 years  or never rode PB

at all ! ,

i think that makes a bit of of an advantage to the 

home side. 

Just need a couple of European riders that like

a small track,  simple.   Come On You Brummies....  

47 minutes ago, Bluenose said:

Just a slight input in to this massive conversation,

at least 20 of the riders of the other teams have

not rode PB in the last 2 years  or never rode PB

at all ! ,

i think that makes a bit of of an advantage to the 

home side. 

Just need a couple of European riders that like

a small track,  simple.   Come On You Brummies....  

But, as there has been a mass clear out at PB, the majority of home riders won’t have ridden there in the last two years either.