British Speedway Forum
tapesuptv

2024 Ice Speedway

Can anyone confirm if there has been a German winner of an individual round of the Series since it was introduced in 1994? The assembled press here are divided on whether Max Niedermaier is the first German winner of a round. 

My current available records only go back to 2013/14 and I can't access anything before then as I'm presently in Inzell, and the HDD with that info is at home.

If you can help please DM Me asap

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Conkers said:

Can anyone confirm if there has been a German winner of an individual round of the Series since it was introduced in 1994? The assembled press here are divided on whether Max Niedermaier is the first German winner of a round. 

My current available records only go back to 2013/14 and I can't access anything before then as I'm presently in Inzell, and the HDD with that info is at home.

If you can help please DM Me asap

I asked a question some time ago on here as to who was the last non Russian to win a round prior to them being kicked out and I'm sure the answer was Gunther Bauer in 2003. Could be wrong though. Gunther is there in Inzell so you could always ask him :)

Edited by JamesHarris

54 minutes ago, JamesHarris said:

I asked a question some time ago on here as to who was the last non Russian to win a round prior to them being kicked out and I'm sure the answer was Gunther Bauer in 2003. Could be wrong though. Gunther is there in Inzell so you could always ask him :)

I did do and he couldn’t remember the year but that sounds about right. Thanks for the reply. 

• Like 1

You are correct - Gunther won the final Round in 2003 in Berlin, last non-Russian to win a Final before Haarahiltunen in 2022.

• Like 1

Yes, Wow what a meeting. Took out the subscription. Well worth 13 Euros just for this meeting alone!!!!

Excellent work THE DAVES!!!! & the Motottv crew.

Thought Ref Topinka bottled a couple of calls. Jell should have been excluded at turn 1 crash. Svensson rode inside track in one heat & Huusko caused Weber crash. In my opinion.

Best Ice meet I have seen.

Bet it was a great atmosphere in Inzell after the meeting.

• Like 1

That was an INCREDIBLE weekend and surely the best and most unpredictable ice racing in many years.  Thank you to all who tuned in - see you at Heerenveen!

I agree, what a fantastic meeting and a great advert for the sport. First time I'd been back to Inzell since Covid and so glad I've forked out for Heerenveen too.

I still worry about things longer term, but read on speedweek that they're thinking about races in Kazakhstan again and a possibility of China. Also murmurings of reconsidering the ban on Russian riders as Russian/ Belarusian athletes will be allowed in this years olympics. Only problem would be Bogdanov clearing off and making it boring!!

Oh, and suggestions that more optimistic talks have taken place about resurrecting Berlin. Fingers crossed :)

What is revolutionary about this new bike, anyone ? 

Rihimaki has designed a new seating position, 20cm lower than a standard bike, with a view to lowering the centre of gravity.

Speedweek.com have an article on it.

On the Saturday I was on curve 3 and had never seen him in the flesh before, so thought he was just a tiny guy. It was only on Sunday when I sat at the start/ finish that I could see the seat was really low with a raised section at the front for starting.

He basically stuck right to the inside all the time over both days, not sure whether he's always done that like Harald Simon or whether that's all the bike's good for.

It obviously works well for Rihimaki, but looks bizarre. Haaruhiltinen said he thought it looked a bit dangerous and Niedermaier said he'd rather give up than ride something like that :lol:

Thankfully doesn't look like others are following suit just yet. That could change if he pulls a win ( or two) out the bag in Heerenveen!!

• Like 1

Line up for the Roelof Thijs Bokaal meeting on Friday 5th April. Don't know if its going to be streamed or not.

1    Isak Dekkerhus - Sweden
2    Sebastian  Reitsma - The Netherlands
3    Maximilian Niedermaier - Germany
4    Paul Cooper - Great Britain
5    Leon Kramer - The Netherlands
6    Niek Schaap - The Netherlands
7    Atte Suolammi - Finland
8    Kevin Arzl - Austria
9    Benedikt Monn - Gremany
10    Jo Saetre - Norway  - 
11    Lukáš Hutla - Czechia
12    Martin Posch - Austria
13    Michał Knapp - Poland
14    Filip Jäger - Sweden
15    Marc Geyer - Germany
16    Jasper Iwema  - The Netherlands
R17    Tim Dixon - Great Britain
R18    Reinhard Greisel  - Germany

Should be interesting to see how Paul Cooper does, as he goes really well on the Grass and was exceptional at the Sand Masters last season. See how he adapts to the Ice.

• Like 1

Paul Cooper scored eight points including a heat win, riding a Niclas Svensson machine.  Jasper Iwema won the meeting after mechanical problems for Lukas Hutla saw him eliminated in the semi final, while Iwema had a fine scrap with Seb Reitsma in the Final.

Posted (edited)

Really excited for this one today. If I have my maths correct Niedermaier has to win the meeting and hope Haarahiltunen finishes no better than 3rd to force a run-off or alternatively finish 5 Grand Prix points clear to take the crown outright?

Edit - That was one of the best meetings of any Speedway discipline I've ever seen. The sign up fee to watch all four  meetings was worth it and excellent value for money. 

Edited by JamesHarris
  • Like 1

Another very good weekend in Heerenveen. Maybe the racing was slightly better overall in Inzell, but not by much.

Nice to meet quite a few British fans in our hotel in Joure too. Only downside was staying far too long in the bar on Saturday night!!

Well done to the world champ, any winner of a championship deserves it.

Hard luck to Max Niedermaier, was rooting for him as an underdog ( probably the reason he didn't win). Things swayed back and forth over the whole weekend for both contenders, but that heat 16 smash finished it.

Finally, very well done to Stefan Svensson. Delighted for him to win his last race. Seems a lovely, relaxed, chilled out bloke who just goes round waving to everyone before and after the races......... but is rapid over the 4laps.

Bring on 2025 and healed bodies for those who were injured before/ during the season.

• Like 1