British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Leicester Lion Cubs 2024

55 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

The problem with using averages is it's easier for a rider with a 5 point ave to get a team place, even if he's been riding for 15 years & will never develop past that level, than for Perry in her s second season to get a team spot as he's improved "too much"

I've often thought what if your average was divided by the amount of NL seasons you've raced? 

Something like after one season get 25% off your average, 2 seasons 20% off etc, after 6 years, no more reductions? Just a way for a rider like Perry only 16 not to miss out on a NL place because he developed too much too soon?

Maybe teams should be building to a combined age limit instead of averages? Or some kind of weighting introduced to the average to take into account experience?

55 minutes ago, szkocjasid said:

although they are just trying to win

Trying to win what though? You may have inadvertently stumbled on the solution here, it is a development league after all, why is it even a league? Just have individual matches, maybe in a series like in cricket. Perhaps the inability to satisfactorily complete the competitions last season was actually an example of how things should be?

37 minutes ago, iainb said:

Maybe teams should be building to a combined age limit instead of averages? Or some kind of weighting introduced to the average to take into account experience?

The problem with going solely by age, is age discrimination is illegal. When the "rising star" system was first introduced riders had to be under 26, unless they had ridden less than 3 seasons (senior racing), which is why Luke Crang was on the RS list for example. In any "normal" job a 50 year old can still apply for a apprenticeship, sounding want to stop late starters getting team places because of their age.

Just now, szkocjasid said:

The problem with going solely by age, is age discrimination is illegal. When the "rising star" system was first introduced riders had to be under 26, unless they had ridden less than 3 seasons (senior racing), which is why Luke Crang was on the RS list for example. In any "normal" job a 50 year old can still apply for a apprenticeship, sounding want to stop late starters getting team places because of their age.

But these aren't employees they're contractors, and with a combined limit there's no age discrimination. Maybe though instead of age you could add some weighting in taking into consideration laps/ matches ridden in various different leagues.

My understanding is that Leicester had no option to have Joe T and Max Perry in the team  even if they have two 3pt reserves and another in the main body of the team .

I believe there is a rule being brought out about riding in Championship and NDL with clubs being limited to just one rider that can do both leagues this is to prevent fixture clashes and trying to find guests.

.So  with Max already signed for Poole and Joe at a track the club had to make a decision and went with Joe as the solid number 1 hopefully Max will be back at Leicester at some point 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, flagrag said:

My understanding is that Leicester had no option to have Joe T and Max Perry in the team  even if they have two 3pt reserves and another in the main body of the team .

I believe there is a rule being brought out about riding in Championship and NDL with clubs being limited to just one rider that can do both leagues this is to prevent fixture clashes and trying to find guests.

.So  with Max already signed for Poole and Joe at a track the club had to make a decision and went with Joe as the solid number 1 hopefully Max will be back at Leicester at some point 

Nothing about this on either Poole's or Leicester's sites

3 hours ago, flagrag said:

I'd be very surprised if poole go with hagon and Perry can't see it personally.

They usually like at least 1 strong reserve.

4 hours ago, flagrag said:

1) I've not seen that rule posted anywhere official.

2) it seems a pointless rule with NL teams only racing 10 fixtures, can't be expecting many fixture clashes

3) it would be very hard to regulate mid-season, for example lets say every single NL team has the one doubling up rider allowed. If a Champ reserve gets injured, then the next best NL rider would have to give up his slot in order to race in the Champ? - mind you if a rule is ill thought out & not gonna work, probably means they'd vote it in lol!

4) now I'm sure this would never happen, but hypothetically Oxford's reserve gets injured, but because they have a chance of winning the NL they could choose not to use one of their own NL riders & take one from their nearest rivals to help them win the NL?

13 hours ago, mc131 said:

I'd be very surprised if poole go with hagon and Perry can't see it personally.

They usually like at least 1 strong reserve.

Be prepared to be very surprised because we've already told you it's happening

• Like 2

Sad not to see Perry back as he's a classy rider. Although he will get a place somewhere else. He's too good not to. Probably Poole bound who knows. 

Joe Thompson will captain the side from what I'm hearing and rightly so. He's gonna need plenty of practice this year and he may as well do some extra laps at home to improve his prem form. 

No idea who the cubs will bring in but I expect Joe T, William Cairns to sign. Maybe Vinne Ford and Max James can be added to that as well. Could Spencer and Mickie Simpson return?

On 12/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, szkocjasid said:

1) I've not seen that rule posted anywhere official.

2) it seems a pointless rule with NL teams only racing 10 fixtures, can't be expecting many fixture clashes

3) it would be very hard to regulate mid-season, for example lets say every single NL team has the one doubling up rider allowed. If a Champ reserve gets injured, then the next best NL rider would have to give up his slot in order to race in the Champ? - mind you if a rule is ill thought out & not gonna work, probably means they'd vote it in lol!

4) now I'm sure this would never happen, but hypothetically Oxford's reserve gets injured, but because they have a chance of winning the NL they could choose not to use one of their own NL riders & take one from their nearest rivals to help them win the NL?

The entry criteria for NDL riders has been set such that no rider who has achieved a Championship average of 4.00 or above will be eligible to take part. Rule changes are subject to SCB approval.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, flagrag said:

My understanding is a deal was allegedly being sorted for him at CL level with a club and he went and sorted a deal at Poole (who believed they were getting an asset and splashed the cash to him) on his own without discussing it with Leicester.

Ah The Winter Speedway Merry go round is brilliant.

2 hours ago, MillenTheVillen said:

My understanding is a deal was allegedly being sorted for him at CL level with a club and he went and sorted a deal at Poole (who believed they were getting an asset and splashed the cash to him) on his own without discussing it with Leicester.

Ah The Winter Speedway Merry go round is brilliant.

I thought max was already a Leicester asset. Wasn't there a piece in the star about it earlier in the season. 

2 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

I thought max was already a Leicester asset. Wasn't there a piece in the star about it earlier in the season. 

Seems someone forgot to tell Poole that was the case and they missed that weeks copy of the Star, they splashed the cash believing they were getting an asset, they'll now owe a loan fee to Leicester also.

On 12/7/2023 at 2:56 PM, flagrag said:

Max James has now signed for BCL Edinburgh. Does this prevent him from riding for the Cubs as well.