British Speedway Forum
szkocjasid

Leicester Lion Cubs 2024

First news I've heard for the Cubs team in 2024 is no Max Perry.

Thank You to Leicester Speedway Supporters’ club for my award and a fantastic evening. Sadly I will not be representing Leicester next season as my average has placed me out of a team spot, as I only found out last night, I am now without a NDL place for 2024

https://twitter.com/MaxPerryRacing5/status/1731373615092814042?t=bSexxJdbaF88icGq7_0AjA&s=19

• Sad 2

Call me cynical, but is this what the BSPL had in mind, when they made the points limit for 2024, to assist with youth development?

Another "big" signing thrown onto the scrap heap :(

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

First news I've heard for the Cubs team in 2024 is no Max Perry.

Thank You to Leicester Speedway Supporters’ club for my award and a fantastic evening. Sadly I will not be representing Leicester next season as my average has placed me out of a team spot, as I only found out last night, I am now without a NDL place for 2024

https://twitter.com/MaxPerryRacing5/status/1731373615092814042?t=bSexxJdbaF88icGq7_0AjA&s=19

Would have thought he'd have confirmed he had a spot before now instead of presuming he had one, Dad's meant to be a nightmare and was shouting in pits at last meeting about how they had a spot in CL with Poole.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PotteringAround said:

Surprised at this one really.

If I were building the Leicester NDL team, Max Perry would have been the first name on the team sheet.

It will be interesting to see who leads to Cubs team.

Poor form that Joe gets a team place but Perry misses out, one rider who has outgrown the league vs one who could use a few confidence boosting meetings. Of the 2023 Cubs side the easiest to argue returns for are the two Max's (with Boughen already ruling himself out) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Poor form that Joe gets a team place but Perry misses out, 

Could fit both in if they wanted.  Bit top heavy, but pretty much every team will have at least two 3 pointers

J Thompson    9.08
M Perry           7.75
M James       5.70
V Foord          3.81
J Embleton    3.47
K Ward           3.00
W Cairns            3.00    (other 3 until he turns 15)

=   35.81

Edited by PotteringAround
  • Like 1

If I was a Leicester fan, I’d be hugely disappointed that Perry won’t be back. But here’s to hoping that someone else picks him up, and the other teams haven’t already effectively decided their line-ups, given a youngster as talented as Perry deserves to continue progressing in the NL without the pressure of the Championship. 

19 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Call me cynical, but is this what the BSPL had in mind, when they made the points limit for 2024, to assist with youth development?

Seems strange way of development of young riders.Maybe grading would work better with the youngsters are they shouldn’t be wanting to hang about in NDL.Just my opinion.

Edited by Fromafar

24 minutes ago, Islander15 said:

If I was a Leicester fan, I’d be hugely disappointed that Perry won’t be back. But here’s to hoping that someone else picks him up, and the other teams haven’t already effectively decided their line-ups, given a youngster as talented as Perry deserves to continue progressing in the NL without the pressure of the Championship. 

How about

Max Perry-7.75

Tom Spencer-5.78

Max James-5.70

George Congreve-5.60

Mickey Simpson-4.23

Vinny Foord-3.51

Connor King-3.39

Total-35.96

31 minutes ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

How about

Max Perry-7.75

Tom Spencer-5.78

Max James-5.70

George Congreve-5.60

Mickey Simpson-4.23

Vinny Foord-3.81

Connor King-3.39

Total-36.26

Just over the limit.  

1 hour ago, Barrow Boy 2 said:

How about

Max Perry-7.75

Tom Spencer-5.78

Max James-5.70

George Congreve-5.60

Mickey Simpson-4.23

Vinny Foord-3.51

Connor King-3.39

Total-35.96

Spencer and King are a bit stagnant in thier progression, Foord is a pretty slow burner too. Congreve still shouldn't have a NDL place at the expense of a brit.

2 hours ago, Fromafar said:

Seems strange way of development of young riders.Maybe grading would work better with the youngsters are they shouldn’t be wanting to hang about in NDL.Just my opinion.

The problem with using averages is it's easier for a rider with a 5 point ave to get a team place, even if he's been riding for 15 years & will never develop past that level, than for Perry in her s second season to get a team spot as he's improved "too much"

I've often thought what if your average was divided by the amount of NL seasons you've raced? 

Something like after one season get 25% off your average, 2 seasons 20% off etc, after 6 years, no more reductions? Just a way for a rider like Perry only 16 not to miss out on a NL place because he developed too much too soon?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Poor form that Joe gets a team place but Perry misses out, one rider who has outgrown the league vs one who could use a few confidence boosting meetings. Of the 2023 Cubs side the easiest to argue returns for are the two Max's (with Boughen already ruling himself out) 

If Joe gets a team spot but Max doesn't I'd be disappointed with Leicester (although they are just trying to win) but also with the BSPL, should be a rule that you can't ride in all 3 leagues. After all of you're good enough for the Prem, must be too good for the NL right?

• Like 4