British Speedway Forum
brianbuck

British Riders' Championships

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

There was something on the international scene discussing that

https://medium.com/soccer-stories/before-the-world-cup-who-were-footballs-earliest-world-champions-8aebac11429a

Plus wasn't there an English club that won something called the world championship? Was it Bishop Stortford v Juventus or something.... 

West Auckland won the "Thomas Lipton Trophy" TWICE (1909 & 1911).

Edited by StevePark
  • Like 1

Let sleeping dogs lie before the trendy lefty politically correct thought police cancel those championships entirely on the grounds that they were not diverse or inclusive enough and were a homage to white supremacists, or something. Changing / correcting history for one cause will just be the thin end of a wedge.

Have to agree with Brian Burford article in SS .These British Riders Chamionships should left as what they were,and not be upgraded.No denying how great the riders were but is was not billed as aWorld Chamionship.History books should not be altered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/11/2023 at 4:49 PM, iris123 said:

Plus wasn't there an English club that won something called the world championship? Was it Bishop Stortford v Juventus or something.... 

A 'Football World Championship' was also intermittently held between the English and Scottish FA Cup winners and latterly the league champions between 1876 and 1904. 

Although I'm not a fan of retrospectively changing the status of something that wasn't recognised as such at the time, the fact is this happened with the early modern Olympics and with first class and particularly test matches in cricket. The first 'Ashes' were nothing of the sort, nor even billed as test matches at the time AFAIK.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

On 12/11/2023 at 5:18 PM, iris123 said:

The Paris meetings in contrast were billed as world championships. As were maybe one or two others ?

There was even a world championship in the UK that Jack Parker won in 1931 was it ?

All so confusing. And i d think it shuld be left as it is and not revise things

As i posted elsewhere. If you look at my profile, there is an old poster advertising that World Champion Sprouts Elder was coming to Hamburg in 1930....

A couple of days ago saw a US newspaper report from 1933 and Elder was also mentioned as world champion. So I guess something he was fond of telling people