British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beirao

Classic Speedway Memories of the 50s, 60s and 70s January 2024 Edition

The following articles are included in this months edition

The Good Year - each tracks most memorable year

What a Great Team We Nearly Had - Glasgow's hoped for signings that didnt materialise

Mike Parker - his contribution to speedways development in the 60s

Anyone Remember No 14 - more memories

Big Birthdays

Preview of February Edition

classicspeedwaymemories.webador.co.uk/

• Like 1

In the 1970s Workington's good year was 1973 when they finished runner up to Boston in both the league and the Knock Out Cup, not 1974

Another enjoyable read, thank you! Have to agree that 1981 was my favourite Cradley year. 1983's team was no doubt stronger - in fact arguably the best BL team ever - but the season didn't have the same feel to it as the one two years previous when Cradley finally landed the title for the first time. For those of us who had supported them through the lean years of the early 70's the 1981 season was particularly sweet.

Couple of points. Ulf Lovaas was originally signed by Cradley in 1973 riding a few matches at the end of the season, before being snapped up be Oxford the following campaign. Jan Simensen was signed by Cradley in 1970 which was not when Coatbridge were operating. Originally snapped up by Cradley to bolster a weak team, unfortunately he only had been at Dudley Wood a matter of weeks when Cradley lost Colin Pratt following the Lokeren disaster. After completing an impressive first term in the Green and White the Heathens were desperate to retain him for 1971, but were denied a work permit for Jan as he would have been a second "foreigner" - I'm sure that was not unknown in 1971. Subsequently he ended up at Coventry.

Thanks Salty. It looks like I got Lovaas and Simensen transposed. Have made the necessary corrections. 

Edited by Beirao

No worries. As I said a really enjoyable read. 

• Like 1