British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aries

Leicester v Belle Vue Thursday 14th March

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Oxford did go ahead, but it wasnt great...imo!

Rideable, but not raceable!!

Leicester got it right! 

Overtaking in 5 of the last 10 heats.

I've not seen plenty of meetings at other Premiership tracks in perfect conditions where you could not say that.

1 hour ago, iainb said:

And Oxford? Criticised for going ahead in less than ideal conditions?

I wasn't at Oxford but reading speedway updates it seems that it was raining right up until start time and raining heavily during heat 1. The efforts of all their off season promotion paid off though with a home win in front of a good sized crowd... Leicester? We were all sat at home watching updates from Oxford wondering what the difference was. 

It stopped raining at about 6.30pm at Oxford. There were about 3 drops at 7.30pm. 

Oxford went ahead because the forecast gave a decent prospect of there not being too much rain. As it happened there was more rain than forecast, but because the track had been well prepared in expectation of rain and the riders were willing to give it a go, it went ahead.

31 minutes ago, iainb said:

It is very much to do with track surface imo, KL has been completely ruined the the shale that they use, it used to be one of the very best race tracks in the country, not so much now. But it is a multi use surface, not like at Leicester. It'd be interesting to know how many clubs' first meetings have been cancelled over the years, probably their most important meeting of the season next to a PO Final.

I don't particularly think fans are confused by the fact that tracks are different, we all know this. I think what confuses many fans is why matches that went ahead in years gone by are sometimes called off well in advance today. It really is something that blights the sport, fans don't know whether they coming or going and are often sat at home (or even worse in a hotel room local to the track) on a lovely sunny night wondering why there is no Speedway on. We all know the reasons behind this, what would be more interesting would be to ask what could be done about this, whether this be some kind of all weather track surface, track covers, wet weather setups on the bikes etc.

Last year they got slated for having everyone queue up and the track wasn’t racable. And they get questioned for calling it off early when a weather forecast correctly says that it will rain a fair amount 1 hour before start time.  
Fans might be annoyed but say it got to heat 3, and a bike hits the grip and takes off, you have Dougie or someone break their shoulder then it would have been “Why did they not see the the forecast?” And you’re team is  knackered. 
Early call off, 14 riders stay out of ambulances on the first day.  
Also, wet tracks usually help the away team as the home advantage disappears, so there’s a good chance Belle Vue could have smoked Leicester anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iainb said:

So Oxford got it wrong? I think you watched it on the stream? Never as good as actually being there. I was following it on updates and it read as a pretty good meeting, considering people were predicting a 60-30 job. It read as if there were a number of passes (6 is the word count on updates), and a last heat decider. Oxford fans probably went home happy and I bet a fair few Birmingham fans would be happy at that result? Oxford's season is underway and they'll probably reap the rewards for this... we at Leicester are all waiting on the weather forecast for next week.

I did watch it on stream and yes there were a few passes, but it wasn't what I'd call great racing....I wouldn't say that I enjoyed the meeting, regardless of how close the score line was!?

Guess it's all about opinions?

Not sure what's to be gained by getting a meeting on at all costs, from a 'viewing' spectacle?

I understand the Club/riders have cost/admin considerations.

Think one trouble is Oxford have such a packed schedule this year any rain offs could seriously effect everything 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I did watch it on stream and yes there were a few passes, but it wasn't what I'd call great racing....I wouldn't say that I enjoyed the meeting, regardless of how close the score line was!?

Guess it's all about opinions?

Not sure what's to be gained by getting a meeting on at all costs, from a 'viewing' spectacle?

I understand the Club/riders have cost/admin considerations.

The gain is all the promotion you've done leading up to the first match of the season is realised, you've less chance of a fixture back log. I've watched absolute bore-fests on a perfectly prepared track in the past... look at the pairs at Leicester last year, I'm still clearing the sleep out of my eyes!

I thought you'd be pretty made up with that result last night as a Birmingham fan, if your number 1 had pulled his finger out the Chee-Spires were there for the taking. You should at least get the bonus point

27 minutes ago, arnieg said:

It stopped raining at about 6.30pm at Oxford. There were about 3 drops at 7.30pm. 

Oxford went ahead because the forecast gave a decent prospect of there not being too much rain. As it happened there was more rain than forecast, but because the track had been well prepared in expectation of rain and the riders were willing to give it a go, it went ahead.

From Speedway Updates:

19:31 - Parade is on now. It is drizzling. 
19:41 - Raining still - heat 1 at tapes. 
19:45 - Rain getting worse, heavy now. Track is holding up. 
Oxford are in full white race suits so they are getting covered. Rain stopped now

Sounds like the texter was a bit of a drama queen :D

Did you go? Was it any good?

15 minutes ago, iainb said:

From Speedway Updates:

19:31 - Parade is on now. It is drizzling. 
19:41 - Raining still - heat 1 at tapes. 
19:45 - Rain getting worse, heavy now. Track is holding up. 
Oxford are in full white race suits so they are getting covered. Rain stopped now

Sounds like the texter was a bit of a drama queen :D

Did you go? Was it any good?

I was there and it was drizzling on and off until about 8pm. Certainly don't think it could be called 'heavy', though, and don't think the meeting was ever in any danger. The track started to dry out pretty quickly.

One thing that was refreshing was the speed on the meeting. Was all over in just over one hour and 15 minutes - not one track grade!

• Like 1

Can I just ask, (to someone that knows the rules?) if a No.7 breaks the tapes, or fails to beat the 2mins allowance in Heat 8? does the offending team have to run with just one rider (No.2)?

8 minutes ago, Bojangles said:

I was there and it was drizzling on and off until about 8pm. Certainly don't think it could be called 'heavy', though, and don't think the meeting was ever in any danger. The track started to dry out pretty quickly.

One thing that was refreshing was the speed on the meeting. Was all over in just over one hour and 15 minutes - not one track grade!

Totally agree! Very refreshing!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Can I just ask, (to someone that knows the rules?) if a No.7 breaks the tapes, or fails to beat the 2mins allowance in Heat 8? does the offending team have to run with just one rider (No.2)?

In the Premiership heats 2 and 8 the RS is protected so a number 7 will go off a 15m handicap for the first offence, should they do something else then it will be 3 riders.

Of course in other leagues the option of 15m or replacement / use a number 8 will be allowed 

Edited by IanBrannan
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

No they go off 15m

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 8:32 AM, iainb said:

Leicester? We were all sat at home watching updates from Oxford wondering what the difference was. 

Actually, Not all of us. 

Edited by justathought
  • Like 1