British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RobbieB

Track records

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BL65 said:

How many sources state that Erik's time was 56.7? If two or more then it remains a puzzle at present. The only other thing that springs to mind was that it was an error/typo and should have been 57.6 rather than 56.7. Do the meeting reports refer to Erik breaking the track record? If not, then...... 

Several marked Wimbledon programmes, I have and the Speedway Star match report of the meeting from 2 July 1983.

The Speedway Star match report does not state that the Wimbledon track record was broken, but list race times, which includes Hans Nielsen 56.8 secs in heat 1 that is also confirmed by several marked programmes, I have.

Edited by RobbieB

2 minutes ago, RobbieB said:

Several marked Wimbledon programmes, I have and the Speedway Star match report of the meeting from 2 July 1983.

That seems conclusive enough.

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

Wouldn't it have been the ther way around, as i thought the difference was because of complying with FIM regs ? Maybe introduced when Wimbledon hosted the Internationae ?

See, that's what I was thinking too...

Posted (edited)

The simple and obvious answer to this issue is that no-one realised that the Wimbledon track record had been broken. Firstly, by Hans Nielsen in heat 1 (56.8 secs) and then by Erik Gundersen (56.7 secs) in heat 6.

The Speedway Star report is about England finishing third in the meeting.

Edited by RobbieB

4 hours ago, norbold said:

No, I'm sure Steve is correct.

Ok. I do remember someone on the forum explaining the gate. When or why it was changed etc. There were a couple of track staff who used to post on here. the post or two are probably buried in the forum vaults somewhere

After looking through my 1983 Wimbledon home programmes, I think I may have discovered why Erik's track record was not later acknowledged.

The official time keeper for the 1983 WTC Inter Continental Final at Wimbledon was J.D. Homer and not the usual person in this post L. Crossley. Therefore, it is highly probable that news of Erik's new track record time as not conveyed to those who kept the track records up to date, and by it not being brought to their attention it become unreported.

I think people used to look at Wimbledon as being the only track that had races OVER 4 laps because of the finish line being further along than the tapes

• Like 1