British Speedway Forum
Badge

Lions v Witches knockout cup 1st April

1 hour ago, Teromaafan said:

I do fear for Joe T. The one thing expected of an RS is to beat the opposing RS in home matches. If you cannot pick up points in those races, where are your points coming from? In all fairness tonight, his brother will be the best No.7 he has to face at home, but I think this is going to be a very tough season for Joe and Dickson will be ruthless again if necessary (depending on what options become available).

Not sure of there's many options at RS. I'm sure Joe T will be given time, I guess Hagon or Henry Atkins are the next best waiting in line, but will they be any better than Joe at home (when he's not racing Dan)?

10 hours ago, iainb said:

The captain and the manager missing from the face the fans session after the meeting!

Stewart always goes missing when we lose from memory. 

• Like 1

Fair play to the witches they have put together a cracking side. So no real complaints losing to them. Meeting was lost at reserve for us. Kemp and Thompson only scored 3 between them . That's seriously poor.  I still dont think thr RS system is fit for purpose. How can anyone take our league seriously when a few number of teams have national league quality riders riding at 7? Ah well we moce on. That's a gamble SD has taken this year, heavy top 5 and weaker reserves. My only issue with last night issue was the track, they did well in making it super smooth but God knows why they took most of the camber off. You could see Fricke and Douglas trying to find it but now it's gone. That was Leicesters home advantage, the camber. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Thought both Rew and Jenkins were better than their scores suggest. Jenkins looked quicker here than he has at Foxhall this season so signs of improvement there, and Rew was unlucky in a couple of his non scoring races. Other than that, very solid through the team. 

They were I agree. Feel a bit for Jenkins. The lad was a rising star last year, moved to senior reserve this year and two meetings in moves to number 2 in the main body! That’s harsh especially when you look at Leicester’s top 5 and who he was up against. He was mixing it though and was on the pace. 

Rew temporarily dropping to reserve might be seen as some as an advantage, but personally the quicker Rew and Jenkins swap back again the better for Ipswich as a team. Just looks more balanced with Rew able to hold his own in the main body and Jenkins contributing more from the reserve berth where he should be. 

Tie should be in the bag for Ipswich and with all due respect, Birmingham in the semi finals should comfortably see them in the final again. As for Leicester, I’d probably be glad this wasn’t a league fixture. Think I’d rather lose an early home cup fixture than an early home league defeat which can leave you chasing the pack from the get go. 

• Like 1

Dunno we should be heavy favourites obviously, not gonna pretend otherwise, but Leicester’s top 5 are all decent at Foxhall and have won plenty of races between them in the past. Their issue will again be at Reserve. Dan Thompson and Rew will comfortably outscore Kemp and Joe.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, szkocjasid said:

Rew's non-scoring heats were very tough heats too. Basically racing against 2 heat leaders.

You’re right, Fricke and Lawson in one and Masters and Becker in the other. His other two were a paid win and a win. He did well. 

1 hour ago, FishersGate said:

Fair play to the witches they have put together a cracking side. So no real complaints losing to them. Meeting was lost at reserve for us. Kemp and Thompson only scored 3 between them . That's seriously poor. I still don't think thr RS system is fit for purpose. How can anyone take our league seriously when a few number of teams have national league quality riders riding at 7? Ah well we move on. That's a gamble SD has taken this year, heavy top 5 and weaker reserves. My only issue with last night issue was the track, they did well in making it super smooth but God knows why they took most of the camber off. You could see Fricke and Douglas trying to find it but now it's gone. That was Leicester's home advantage, the camber. 

I'm not sure there are any National league quality riders at RS. To me Joe T has outgrown / is too good for the NL, despite the fact he still races in it. Boughen could also still race in the NL, but Oxford must consider him stronger than Atkins, who's not eligible for the NL, by that logic Boughen is above NL level.

2 hours ago, FishersGate said:

Stewart always goes missing when we lose from memory. 

It's easy to come out and take the plaudits when you've won but you earn your coin commenting on losses. No quotes from him on the website either. Is there any other sport where team managers get an easier ride?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

I'm not sure there are any National league quality riders at RS. To me Joe T has outgrown / is too good for the NL, despite the fact he still races in it. Boughen could also still race in the NL, but Oxford must consider him stronger than Atkins, who's not eligible for the NL, by that logic Boughen is above NL level.

I think the only reason Joe has outgrown the NL is because every year it seems to get and weaker. If added back in Gilkes, Kemp, Edwards etc Joe wouldn't look so dominant in it!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TTT said:

Leicester like Sheffield don't have any reserves.

Long season ahead for the Lions unless changes are made.

Who would you bring in?

2 hours ago, iainb said:

It's easy to come out and take the plaudits when you've won but you earn your coin commenting on losses. No quotes from him on the website either. Is there any other sport where team managers get an easier ride?

And, what exactly do you want him to say. We were robbed, I think the wind was blowing in the wrong direction ? Grow Up. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, justathought said:

And, what exactly do you want him to say. We were robbed, I think the wind was blowing in the wrong direction ? Grow Up. 

I expect him to come out and face the fans and or press, like he does when we win, and explain what he thought went wrong and why and what the prospects are for the 2nd leg, just like a team manager would in any other sport. For you to accept silence is a pretty blinkered and naive view, obviously he can do no wrong in your eyes and doesn't need to answer to anybody. Another year goes by without any sort of cup run!

Edited by iainb

8 minutes ago, justathought said:

I really don't why see why you would tell someone to grow up when all the fans want is maybe some reasoning or explanation for a loss. Even if he made something up to hide his frustration at least we are seeing the gaffer speak to us

Literally every coach/manager in every sport does it so I don't see the issue ?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FishersGate said:

I really don't why see why you would tell someone to grow up when all the fans want is maybe some reasoning or explanation for a loss. Even if he made something up to hide his frustration at least we are seeing the gaffer speak to us

Literally every coach/manager in every sport does it so I don't see the issue ?

In other sports its pretty much expected / mandatory for the manager / coach to speak to the press / TV after a result. Occasionally a manager might send a minion to do the talking but its still an official reaction.

I thought the meeting was close last night - I think the reserves do need sorting out for the Lions but overall they still look a fairly decent side to me, I think everyone expected DanT to have the beating of his fellow reserves on the Lions side but maybe the heat 4 5-1 wasn't as expected. He has certainly started the season well - he could well find himself in the main body of the team at some poo9int this season - but he is proof that the R/S works!

Masters and Richard Lawson were IMHO your best riders last night - you need more from Fricke tho as your no1

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The way the teams have been built just shows how strong the reserve position is going to be. Then you take on the Number 2 position with  Lawson vs Jenkins but then you have the Doyle/Emil  factor so the averages have to work positively where. The top 5 for Leicester is really solid. 
As a neutral I think it’s great to see Emil and Doyle team ride, Saying that I doubt Doyle knew on heat 4 that his teammate was behind him as he was gone and never looked back but that heat 15 and Emil’s control of the bike and where he constantly looked where Doyle was made for great speedway. Danny King and Adam Ellis is a strange pairing as they just seem to be where the other one wants to be. 
Overall a really enjoyable close meeting. Roll on the summer when it’s a bit warmer though !!

Edited by Coventry_Bee