British Speedway Forum

3 hours ago, martinmauger said:

Jumping in late (too late?), I'd go with John Cook, apologies if already mentioned.  In 1980 he stuggled badly at Hull on a 4v JAWA known for tricky handling, he moved to Ipswich pas art of the deal taking Dennis Sigalos to Foxhall (HUGE loss to Hull) & Billy Sanders coming to Hull (along wth a cash adjustment), where Billy became quite popular.  But from 1981, riding a track he seemed to prefer more on a Weslake he defo preferred more, Cook became the all-action 'Cowboy' that we all loved to watch, never a dull moment when he was on track....

That's a great call! It's easy to forget how poor and ineffective he was in his first season. He has the rare distinction of actually DOUBLING his average from one season to the next (4.17 to 8.63).

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 9:56 PM, Fromafar said:

Wayne Brown at Berwick spent most of his 1st three seasons at reserve averaging under 4. Then one night he beat the Owen Brothers in Pairs at Berwick and suddenly  became a Top Man the next week and never looked back.Had a great career at Berwick and then had one season in big league then went home to help with the family business.Unfortunately was killed in a work related incident soon afterwards.A great little guy sadly missed.

1976..Berwick..10..21..8..1..1.71
1977..Berwick..32..106..93..9..3.85
1978..Berwick..18..70..62..7..3.94
1979..Berwick..43..192..408..24..9.00..4F..3P
1980..Berwick..45..207..469..22..9.49..4F..10P
1981..Berwick..33..155..342..16..9.24..2P

• Like 4

On 5/5/2024 at 11:03 AM, iainb said:

Steve Johnston... When he first arrived at Long Eaton from second halving at Sheffield I used to have to watch his races through my fingers, seemed to be out of control for most of his races!

I always thought he was exciting rather than out  of control in those early days.  But, hey I am getting on now, so you may be right.  One of his first races involved a dust up with Dave Blackburn at the pits gate.  I think that's when we started to really like this guy, especially when he made it clear he wanted to stay with us rather than return to Sheffield.  I think they had dropped him because of an hand injury in the workshop so he got a chance at Long Eaton and quickly became a fan favourite. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheReturn said:

I always thought he was exciting rather than out  of control in those early days.  But, hey I am getting on now, so you may be right.  One of his first races involved a dust up with Dave Blackburn at the pits gate.  I think that's when we started to really like this guy, especially when he made it clear he wanted to stay with us rather than return to Sheffield.  I think they had dropped him because of an hand injury in the workshop so he got a chance at Long Eaton and quickly became a fan favourite. 

Yes, I do seem to remember an incident with Blackburn