Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Recommended Posts

I wasn’t a Hackney regular but would go when West was were racing, and for individual events, tests, WC qualifying rounds etc. Always enjoyed my visits to Waterden Road. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2024 at 1:23 PM, TonyMac said:

YOUR HACKNEY

 
For my regular Backtracking column in Speedway Star I’m asking fans of different clubs – past and present – for their personal thoughts on what immediately springs to mind whenever their team or track is mentioned.
 
Over the years which riders, meetings, incidents and people associated with this track stand out – and why?
 
It’s not only open to home fans – visitors’ recollections are also welcome. You can mention as many different aspects as you like but please don’t simply type names – add some supporting comment explaining what they mean to you.
 
Best contributions will appear in print. Thank you for taking part.
 
To help prompt you, here are several suggestions…
* ‘Make it a Date, Friday at Eight’
* Leaping Len, Pratty, Benga, Cass the Gas, Thommo, Mort, Plechy, Bo Pete, Pavitt, Russell, Loramski, Louis, Galvin, Moggo, etc
* Hawks and Kestrels
* The ‘lucky’ 50 pence piece
* Snowie Beattie’s weekly fiddle
* Hawkeye and Birdbrain, Bert Busch, Ken Archer, Alf and Keith Weedon, Big Arthur, Bryn Williams
* Superama, Champions Chase KO, NL Best Pairs
* Terry Ripo, Ted Sear
* Sampson’s Coaches
 

Len losing his trousers at the end of season meetings!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, norbold said:

My main memory of Hackney is walking across Hackney Marshes to get there. It was the only track in my 60 odd years of speedway that I have lived in walking distance of!

Obviously the racing at ‘Ackney made less of an impression on you than Stan Stevens beating Briggo at the wonderful West Ham ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2024 at 8:36 AM, M.D said:

Eastbourne fan and only went to Hackney a few times when I was younger and not in the last few years at the track.

The outstanding memory for me was going up to see Paul Woods for an England V Denmark meeting, Woodsy was a non riding reserve and didn't get an outing.

What caught my eye was a certain Michael Lee, think he got 16 + 1 from 6 rides, he was unbelievable that night.

For information, it was 8th July 1983, England won 65-43

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to go quite regularly to both Wimbledon & Hackney from 78-86 - but always preferred the racing at Hackney.  I supported neither team.  The bloke running the track shop on bend one always kept back the Kings Lynn progs for me (in the days when tracks sold progs from other tracks).  Around 1985 I started making small stick on photos 2"x3" of popular riders from 35mm photos I would take in the pits - sold a lot of them at Hackney and Rye House to the girl fans of certain 'cute looking' riders.  Never got caught by Len.  I still have a few of Melvyn Taylor.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My first speedway meeting 1963 New Cross v Ackney. Went to Ackney once, 1964, don't remember it though, was only an 8 year old nipper.

Edited by auntie doris
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we first went to Hackney in 1973 the hire car lost third and fourth gear approaching Hangers Lane...continued to Waterden Road around tha North Circular (those were the days) in second gear. After the meeting we found a telephone kiosk (remember those?) and phoned the breakdown service and had to hang around for a return call. In the meantime a police officer arrived on the scene as we had been reported to be behaving suspiciously (these were the days of the IRA) and after explaining our peril we phoned the owner (father of one time second halfer and Peterbrough rider Chris Drewitt) who told us to try and get the car back to Oxford...drove all the way back to Oxford in second gear! Fun days and you don't forget memories like that!

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

When we first went to Hackney in 1973 the hire car lost third and fourth gear approaching Hangers Lane...continued to Waterden Road around tha North Circular (those were the days) in second gear. After the meeting we found a telephone kiosk (remember those?) and phoned the breakdown service and had to hang around for a return call. In the meantime a police officer arrived on the scene as we had been reported to be behaving suspiciously (these were the days of the IRA) and after explaining our peril we phoned the owner (father of one time second halfer and Peterbrough rider Chris Drewitt) who told us to try and get the car back to Oxford...drove all the way back to Oxford in second gear! Fun days and you don't forget memories like that!

I remember my first few cars, used to go out on long journeys never knowing if I'd get back. Never seemed to matter either still went 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

no nonsense start marshall with away riders that didnt go down too well with them!!!

sublime Bo Petersen

There was a chap that worked at Hackney and did every job you can imagine for both speedway and greyhounds.great character to speak to,wish i knew his name.Worked on the track behind the bar ,you name he did it for years.

Edited by speedwaysliders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, speedwaysliders said:

no nonsense start marshall with away riders that didnt go down too well with them!!!

sublime Bo Petersen

There was a chap that worked at Hackney and did every job you can imagine for both speedway and greyhounds.great character to speak to,wish i knew his name.Worked on the track behind the bar ,you name he did it for years.

Snowy Beattie? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2024 at 6:03 PM, E I Addio said:

Obviously the racing at ‘Ackney made less of an impression on you than Stan Stevens beating Briggo at the wonderful West Ham ! 

When Hackney opened it was quite a dilemma for me. I was born and brought up in Hackney and, as I said, the speedway was in walking distance of my home but by then I had become a New Cross supporter and, of course, New Cross re-opened (after a year's break) the same year as Hackney and in the same league. So, in the world of local derbies, Hackney became the enemy! Although New Cross then closed, West Ham opened the following year, so I had no option but to transfer my allegiance to West Ham as I couldn't contemplate supporting the old enemy however near to me it was!

From then until 1972, I was a regular at both tracks every week. After West Ham closed I continued going to Hackney but could never bring myself to actually support them, especially as, by then, I had moved away into the deep recesses of Essex (Loughton).....I effectively became trackless in terms of support until moving to Clacton in 1979 and falling into the welcoming arms of Ipswich.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, norbold said:

When Hackney opened it was quite a dilemma for me. I was born and brought up in Hackney and, as I said, the speedway was in walking distance of my home but by then I had become a New Cross supporter and, of course, New Cross re-opened (after a year's break) the same year as Hackney and in the same league. So, in the world of local derbies, Hackney became the enemy! Although New Cross then closed, West Ham opened the following year, so I had no option but to transfer my allegiance to West Ham as I couldn't contemplate supporting the old enemy however near to me it was!

From then until 1972, I was a regular at both tracks every week. After West Ham closed I continued going to Hackney but could never bring myself to actually support them, especially as, by then, I had moved away into the deep recesses of Essex (Loughton).....I effectively became trackless in terms of support until moving to Clacton in 1979 and falling into the welcoming arms of Ipswich.

Interesting you lived in Loughton. My wife is a Loughton lass and we married in St. Mary’s, even though she lived two doors away from St. John’s. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, steve roberts said:

When we first went to Hackney in 1973 the hire car lost third and fourth gear approaching Hangers Lane...continued to Waterden Road around tha North Circular (those were the days) in second gear. After the meeting we found a telephone kiosk (remember those?) and phoned the breakdown service and had to hang around for a return call. In the meantime a police officer arrived on the scene as we had been reported to be behaving suspiciously (these were the days of the IRA) and after explaining our peril we phoned the owner (father of one time second halfer and Peterbrough rider Chris Drewitt) who told us to try and get the car back to Oxford...drove all the way back to Oxford in second gear! Fun days and you don't forget memories like that!

I hired

a car. 50 years ago to drive from Grays to Luton Airport and the gear lever came off a mile from home. This was 5.30 a.m.. Drove all the way with one hand holding the gear lever and steering with the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHR2 said:

I hired

a car. 50 years ago to drive from Grays to Luton Airport and the gear lever came off a mile from home. This was 5.30 a.m.. Drove all the way with one hand holding the gear lever and steering with the other.

Kids of today have no concept of what we had to do with old cars, do they? These days, one poxy sensor can disable the car; in our day, half the bloody car could be missing, but we were still able to drive it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy