British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

The autograph book

..........whereas Steve Gresham simply wrote an X............. :wink:

..........whereas Steve Gresham simply wrote an X............. :wink:

......you sure it was Steve Gresham.............. :D:D:D

I don't know about the messiest, but the tidiest was Phil White at Sheffield mind you it use to take him a minute to do one.

Still ploughing through all the goodies left by our Forest Gate Great Aunts and the latest speedway item to materialise is one of their autograph books from the late 30's. Included that are legible are Arthur Atkinson, Rod Stobart[?], Tommy Croombs, Tiger Stevenson, Mick Murphy, Eric Chitty [signed with Ricky as a middle name], Dick Geary, E Langston[?], Ken Brett, Harry[?] Shepherd, Bluey Wilkinson, Frank Betts[?], Cliff Watson, Eddie Phillips, Phil Bishop, Jack Baker, ? Hewitt. Opening the book for the first time and realising that it was full of signatures from 65 years ago or more was very humbling. If anyone can help with confirming or correcting any of these it would be appreciated. There are more in there which I am unable to read but if anyone wants a crack at them I will be scanning them and putting them on my webshot site as soon as I can get the time.

Does anyone know if any of the guys are still alive?

Hi All,

I have also recently acquired an autograph book dated 1947/48.

It has the title "Bradford Odsal Speedway" with the autographs of Eddie Rigg, Norman Parker, Ernie Price, Norman Price, Aub Lawson, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Arthur Atkinson, Alec Statham, Bill Gilbert, Jack Biggs, Oliver Hart, Arthur Forest, Ron Pearson, Joe Abbott.

There are three that I carn't make out and they are B. A. Lovell ?, Jack Hugh ?, George Zilinger ?

Any Ideas.

I beleive these autographs where obtained at the Odsal Stadium on July 5th 1947, England v Australia - International.

Other Autographs under the title "Speedway" are: J Smith, S Roper, R Bell, S Grimshaw, A Boaty, L Metcalfe, T Kirton, M Young, A Robinson, D Allinson, C Hayton, B Morris, D Rumlott, B Yankovich, A Palin, G E Parkinson, J A Sutcliffe, A Janson, D Jackson, Todd, J E Holdsworth, E Phill, W Wheaton, A R Walsh, B R Green, T Rhodes, S Kershaw, J A Ford, L Malpass and J Smitherson ?.

If anyone can confirm any of these riders and who they rode for, I would be very grateful.

Thanx

Wollongong

Edited by wollongong

Can't help with the name Zilinger, but the other two are Bob Lovell and Jack Hughes. (Incidentally Hughes and Arthur Forrest were brothers-in -law)

Also the Ron Pearson should be Ron Peace.

Great story Norbold. I do hope a great find like that finds a good home, be it with yourself or some other old-time fan who will cherish it. It does make me think that it is a shame there is no British Speedway Museum. What a fine exhibit that would be.

There is a very good, no excellent speedway museum near Edinburgh but I suppose it's not "British" if it is not in England :D

If you are in the area and it is open it is well worth a visit