British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wimbledonwomble

The Greatest Seven riders ever

For once I agree with you Falcace, to name riders like that in a thread about the 7 greatest riders in the enitire history of the sport is laughable. :rolleyes:

*sigh*

Oh dear - why can't people READ the post prior to deciding to slag it off? If you would care to re-read what I posted, I made the point that my list WASN'T even attemtping to be the greatest seven riders of all time based on skill, but a personal list of seven riders who I felt were great to watch, for various reasons.

I'm clearly a lot younger than many of you who have posted on here, and sadly did not have the opportunity to see the "greats" like Brigs, Mauger etc ride. Lucky old you if you did! Personally I may disagree with some of the other selections posted here, but certainly wouldn't be so rude and dismissive as to post in the terms that others seem to consider acceptable. :(

I thought you a little 'dismissive' of a womans letter to S/S giving her opinion on another thread but there you go. :approve:

Hardly. If you are referring to my comment about the subject being done to death, it was an attempt to diffuse yet another Nicki lovers -v- Nicki haters thread - think we've used enough room debating that issue don't you! Full credit to the lady for voicing her opinion - although I'm still suprised that the Star published something so contentious - not usually their style at all!

He wasn't put on the 20 yard handicap because the whole idea was scrapped following protests from Ove and the other two.

After a complete re-think my favourite seven of all time like Robyn says

not based on skill, but a personal list of seven riders who I felt were great to watch, for various reasons.

1. Ted Hubbard

2. Marvyn Cox

3. Mark Loram

4. Kelvin Mullarkey

5. Ashley Pullen

6. Graham Banks

7. Barney Kennett

and another because I like so many

1. Ross Gilbertson

2. Robert Tilbury

3. Richard Pettman

4. Andrew Silver

5. Neville Tatum

6. Andy Galvin

7. Denzil Kent

everyone of them National League and I was lucky enough to have seen all of them ride at Kingsmead :approve:

No jamie luckhurst,not even in 14 riders :o

ok

1. Jamie Luckhurst

2. Mike Ferriera

3. Steve Koppe

4. Mike Spink

5. Dave Mullet

6. Alan Mogridge

7. Paul Whittacker

Briggo was also World Champ at the age of 23.Was on the rostrum at 21.don`t know what taking his time is there :unsure:

this thread is so hard to answer. i could come up with at least twenty names who were head and shoulders above most in their day, some never winning a world final. sometimes being top of the averages and track records, and the long ago open individual meetings may point to a more fitting best rider. some were best all year long but couldnt put it together either in the qualifying rounds, some of which were harder in different countries than others, or on the big night itself. i am not diminishing the great achievements of former world champions, just food for thought. Terry Betts, Kenny Carter, John Louis come to mind as does Phil Crump. Who is to say that at times they were not the best in the world? or for argument sakes, deserving of the title, one of the best ever? also is it just me, or does it seem todays riders on average have longer careers than previous ones? :)

also is it just me, or does it seem todays riders on average have longer careers than previous ones? :)

I think it's you!

Ronnie Moore 1950-1975; Barry Briggs 1952-1976; Ove Fundin 1953-1970s; Jack Parker 1928-1954; Tommy Price 1935-1956; Olle Nygren 1949-1970s and many others

i defer to your speedway knowledge norbold. however, i must point out that a few of your choices were riders who came out of retirement for ivan maugers troupe, and no longer competitive league racers, although still quick, too old for constant british league action..and of course further world title aspirations... ;) i was really refering to the sport in general rather than the exceptions..i know all about ronnie moore at wimbledon, as with briggo, and of course ivan, but it seems that in this day and time riders remain competitive longer,... in general... than in the past.. where is my anorak? :blink:

Edited by sandman

The years I have quoted were when they were all in competitive league and/or International racing still

(its taken me 40+ years to track down this photo from a New Cross Programme.)

You should have asked me. I've got all the 1959 New Cross programmes.

In my own mind I have no doubt that Ove Fundin and Peter Craven were superior to the others. Barry Briggs really came into his own after the others had disappeared leaving him a clear field.

Just another thought on ILS's comment above.

I agree that Briggs came into his own in the mid 60s after the others had mainly disappeared from the scene, but it is an interesting point that, in fact, the last of the Big 5 to win the World Championship was Ove Fundin in 1967. So even past his best and during the Briggs heyday he was still good enough to be World Champion.

No doubt in my mind who was the greatest!

Gordon Kennett what about him never quite made World Champion but always a cut above the rest in any other meeting

No doubt in my mind who was the greatest!

Its funny though that when i first started going regularly in the early 70`s i almost never heard anyone talking about Fundin.There wasn`t much written about him either.Even though he was only a few years away from England it was almost as if he had never been there.I went to the Briggo farewll meeting at Hull and he rode a couple of races,which might have been the only time i saw him.Maybe of course this was because i was a Wimbledon fan and there were other heroes to speak about.Also gather he wasn`t that popular,but still funny though