British Speedway Forum
Guest SwineTown

Phil Crump

Guest SwineTown

It struck me yesterday that all my early speedway meetings were dominated by Mr Crump and yet i was so young that i really didn't appreciate his riding - i know its tragic but there you go.

I would love to hear from other forum people about his career, his lack of serious individual success (hmmm...sounds like another aussie/swindon superstar...) and his form.

Most robins fans i know rate him higher than ashby but concede that he rode for us through some VERY bad years. I never saw briggo, ashby a little (i think).

so any stories?

Does Jason kick dadiies bottom!

Should he have been world champ?

Edited by SwineTown

Guest Steve Dixon

I always thought of Phil Crump as Aussie equivelant of Dave Jessup, unlucky or no big match temprement??

He was a big star in the second division along with P.C. but he seemed to lack something until Niel Street came up with his new 4 valve in 1975, he had a few good years then, the highlight being his rostrum place in the World Final 76.

Thats my memories of him anyhow. :)

He did have quite a bad injury in 73 which kept him out for most of the season if i remember.Was definitely a great rider but there were at that time a lot of great riders and a few superstars.As Steve Dixon said Neil Streets engine gave Crumpie an extra boost for a while and maybe if the World Championship was held in the early part of that season they might have both made the rostrum :unsure: Would say Jason is one of the top 3 riders in the world ,not sure i would have said that about pop`s

Guest Steve Dixon

On a career, I would say Jason has topped his dad,and will go further this year by winning the title! :rolleyes:

there wasnt in the history of the sport any tougher than phil crump. the deeper the track, the rougher it was, nobody could touch him. as to his big night jitters, twas a well known fact. great rider, remember when he went to newport and really did ride up the boards. it is true after breaking his femur, he wasnt quite the same, but still... well.. like a young pc on steroids.. great rider.. :neutral:

i can testify ( i wanna testify) that i for one stood in awesome disbelief as in one of his first meetings at somerton park as he actually rode around the bottom of the fence on the first bend!

he was a fantastic rider to follow...

his intial years on the street four vavle was a sight to behold as (at blunsdon in 74-75) he went up the backstraight head below the handlebars whizzing along! a win inb the artdeans trophy springs to mind, the year his chnaces to become world champ were definately 75-76 third on the podium wasnt bad in 76.

a truly nice guy never failed to sign autographs for us ..always seemed to wave if he saw you on the motorway on way to away matches, and at motorway services

we had a big yellow banner ta time signed by him called ...

bionic crump

(well it was fashinoable at time lol six million dollar man!)

little did we know his son would turn out to be more succesful..

a true speedway dynasty? :D

I wonder if Jason's little son will follow in the footsteps of Dad, Grandad and Great Grandad, now that would be summat!

Phil was a sight to behold.... ISTR he was also physically very strong - rumour had it that he could lift one of his bikes with one arm!!!

so any stories?

As already said on several threads.................... He ran over my Uncles Head......... OUCH :oops::wink:

Guest SwineTown
so any stories?

As already said on several threads....................

i checked back through MANY pages of YearsGone by for Crumpie threads to no avail so stop your whinging - everywhere i go on this forum theres a big angry "shazzybird" moaning at me for something innocuous. Have I upset you perchance? :D

when I eventually meet you, you'll find out if you've upset me :wink::P

Just for the record ask Barney he'll tell you, like he told me at Eastbourne 3 weeks ago about the incident :approve:

Guest SwineTown

who is Barney?

(and enough with the winking and tongues young lady)

Barney Kennett, Ed's Uncle rode for Canterbury in the 70's/80's. Has a few good stories to tell. He also said if they had the rulings then what they had now there would have been a few skint riders due to fines :lol: (just for you SwineTown :P ) :wink:

Edited by shazzybird

Guest SwineTown

so not the big purple singing dinosaur then.