British Speedway Forum
Guest SwineTown

Phil Crump

He's a member of the forum and quite often has a look can't wait till he sees that SwineTown :lol: definately not purple though :lol:

Didn`t he manage a team called Eastbourne at one time? Surprised you still talk to him ;)

Getting back to the topic, I would go for Jason, rather than the old man, although Phil was a good rider.

Didn`t he manage a team called Eastbourne at one time? Surprised you still talk to him ;)

Not sure if he managed Eastbourne :unsure: but his brothers Dave and Gordon both rode there.

Still talk to him! lol As a youngster Iris I was scared stiff of Barney and used to run hide and cry everytime I saw him, now he's one of my bestest buds at speedway we meet up whenever we are at the same venue and can be found in the bar after the meeting. At the VSRA 2003 was the first time I really sat and had a chat with Barney in my life although he had been good friends of my family since the year dot. Told him I'm not scared of him anymore and can drink him under the table :wink: Just goes to show what speedway is all about one big happy family and still friends today with all my family xx

Edited by shazzybird

was manager for a few years around `88!Next time you see him ,ask him if is still listening to Mungo Jerry :o

As already said on several threads.................... He ran over my Uncles Head......... OUCH ..............Head what ..Gardener? ;)

Guest Young Al

I saw Phil ride several times when I was a kid, he was one of my heroes in fact. To me he seemed to ride as though the bike wouldn't do what he wanted it to unless he was very stern with it, indeed. Young Jason seems to have a better relationship with his machinery, although they share the same level of intensity. The boy is my tip to bring the title back to where it belongs.

I saw Phil ride several times when I was a kid, he was one of my heroes in fact. To me he seemed to ride as though the bike wouldn't do what he wanted it to unless he was very stern with it, indeed. Young Jason seems to have a better relationship with his machinery, although they share the same level of intensity. The boy is my tip to bring the title back to where it belongs.

i think the reason may lay with the fact that the equiptment is much more forgiving nowadays and in general lack of dirt. 80 hp is much friendlier than 50 or 60. would loved to have seen the old man on todays equiptment with a rough, deep track, in his prime. ;) certainly would have caused a few headaches for the current young guns. absolutely no disrespect directed to todays greats intended. As good and tough as history has produced, but for you old timers who remember, pause for thought.. :blink:

Guest Steve Dixon
The boy is my tip to bring the title back to where it belongs.

Out of curiosity, where's that?

Belle Vue :unsure:

Comparisons between the past and present are always tricky...but no one should underestimate how good Phil Crump was.

One comparison, though, that it's fair to make is that Jason has fewer rivals of real quality standing in his way of the ultimate prize than the number of really top class riders that the original Crumpie had to try and overcome...Mauger, Olsen, Michanek, Autrey, Plech, Jancarz (the latter two in terms of their threat in Polish-staged world finals) - and they're just the top 'foreigners' of that era.

Now consider the English challengers...PC, DJ, Simmo, Bettsy, Lee, Kennett, Wyer - all 10-point plus men in the BL. I don't intend to belittle Jason's talents or achievements, but England doesn't have the same depth of talent today.

And as several on here have already said, the tracks and bikes were so much less 'comfortable' to ride in the 70s.

As I recall, the Aussies (and Kiwis) didn't exactly have an easy qualifying route either. Some of those Aussie Championship qualifiers were real blood and thunder meetings, with no room for error.

Phil's top man for me...but then I would say that!

Tony Mac

phil was a ruthless and fearsome competitor, who had he really believed in himself as his competition did, he most certainly would have been good for more than one world championship. i saw him on more than one occasion where my jaw just dropped. newport and swindon. kudos to the old man. no wonder jason is as good as he is..heard the problem with phil is he would not put his money back in his equiptment, big problem against the likes of mauger and co.. hope jason doesnt make the same mistake.. he really does deserve the title this year.. :neutral:

Guest Young Al

I've been told Phil showed his future father-in-law the way home at his second ever meeting on a 'proper' bike in Mildura, after doing a year on a BSA in clubman class. One way of getting a girls attention I suppose.

Aah, dear old Phil...

I don't know if it was because he suffered the fractured femur in one of the first meetings I saw (anyone remember the Gauloises Pairs tournament ??) and I felt sorry for him, or the fact that it was close to the end of the season and in winter it's speedway Down Under, but he and Billy Sanders (god rest his soul) were two early favourites of mine.

Obviously by then Phil had left Newport and gone to Bristol then Swindon, but I would have loved to have seen him in his heyday at Somerton Park.

Sandman made the point of a lack of self belief - the night before the 1982 World Final there was a meeting at Costa Mesa which a lot of the world finalists were watching as well. I think it was Bob Radford who was interviewed on the centre green during the meeting, and he said "the best rider in the world is Phil Crump - if he would only believe it himself". Due to the lack of a Tiger in the Final I cheered for him, and he only scored 4 and one of those was a gift from the re-run of the infamous BP/KC heat!

In a way, though, I wish he hadn't made that abortive comeback in 1990 - I went to Bradford v Swindon (we were closed that year) and he was a pale shadow of what he was.

I'm sure the fact that I like Jason is 95% because of him being Phil's son!

Edited by Tigerblade