British Speedway Forum
Guest SwineTown

Phil Crump

I have a vague memory of a Wembley World Final,I'm sure Phil rode for Newport, i think the track staff started to water the track before each ofthe riders had had their first ride some of the Newport fans got upset and took the fire hose off the track staff and turned it on them and a couple of police men and other officials. It was all taken in good spirits at the time.

I have a vague memory of a Wembley World Final,I'm sure Phil rode for Newport, i think the track staff started to water the track before each ofthe riders had had their first ride some of the Newport fans got upset and took the fire hose off the track staff and turned it on them and a couple of police men and other officials. It was all taken in good spirits at the time.

That would be the 1975 Final, though I don't know whether or not it was Newport fans. The watering of the track completely messed up Peter Collins in the next race. I think Crumpie was also in that race. He finished 4th on the night with 10 points if memory serves me correctly. The following year he came third.

Thinking about it, Crumpie did pretty well at World level until he joined Swindon! Why is that?

I DO have my reasons for swapping, but I can't be a**ed to go into them now!!!!!!

You don't have to explain anyway Lupus, it's your decision who you support look at me I support everyone :wink: but stal :oops: I mean follow Mark Loram :wink:

Excellent posting about when you was a nanny. It was nice to read, I don't know about anyone else but whilst reading I was imagining it all in my head. Lovely memories that no-one can take away :approve:

The first time I saw Phil Crump ride was at Canterbury when he rode for Crewe. He'd not seen the track before but scored an immaculate maximum and broke the track record.

Thinking about it, imo he was probably (with the possible exception of Joe Owen) the best visiting rider I ever saw at Kingsmead. :approve:

Guest SwineTown
Do you remember the match against the 1983 Cradley side, possibly the best team ever. They completely hammered Swindon - 29-49 I think it was. If I remember rightly, not one Swindon rider managed to beat a Cradley rider, with the exception of Crumpie, who scored an impeccable 15 point maximum.

God - imagine a Swindon team with an awesome maximum-grabbing heatleader and no back up! Must have been terrible for the fans! :D

God - imagine a Swindon team with an awesome maximum-grabbing heatleader and no back up! Must have been terrible for the fans! :D

Some things never change do they ST? ;)

and all of this from a man who smuggled the great ivan mauger out of the stadium at swindon after a bit of controversy, even caught a brick on the bonnet of his 450 sel mercedes on the way out, from one of the swindon fans. its in an old speedway star somewhere. evidently there werent enough wiltshire coppers to protect mr. mauger on duty that night so crumpie took a step forward to save the champs life. wonder if ivan reimbursed phil for the damage to his car? a thank you note maybe? heh heh.. :)

Thinking about it, imo he was probably (with the possible exception of Joe Owen) the best visiting rider I ever saw at Kingsmead. :approve:

Where was you when Ivan Mauger rode there then Kev? :unsure::wink:

Where was you when Ivan Mauger rode there then Kev? :unsure::wink:

I was there Shazz and thought "what a poser" when he came out for each exhibition race wearing a different pair of leathers! :D OK, I admit that Ivan was a better rider (you can't argue with six World Championships) but Crumpie put on the best show in any league match imo. :P

Can't remember too much about him other than he was a tough, no-nonsense rider & he always seemed to win the 16 lapper. I was a big speedway fan in the 70s & early 80s, watching the likes of Louis & Crump. I drifted away for a few years, came back in the late 90s, Louis was still riding for Ipswich & Crumpy was still winning the 16 lapper!

Where was you when Ivan Mauger rode there then Kev?  :unsure:  :wink:

I was there Shazz and thought "what a poser" when he came out for each exhibition race wearing a different pair of leathers! :D

I take it you got his autograph, Mr. H :neutral:

Guest SwineTown

i got Crumpy (snr)'s autograph hundreds of times when i was a kid.

That was in the days when you could lean over in to the pits at blunsdon and talk to the riders - anyone remember that? Highlight of the night when i was about 8 years old.

I've got a few Crumpie autographs too. The old pits at Swindon were brilliant from a spectators point of view. You really could get right up next to the riders. It's such a shame they changed them, though maybe it's better for the riders to have more that a wire fence between themselves and the crowd!

one time when i was a lad, i tried to get phils autograph after the races, he was leanin against the wall swiggin on a bottle of sour mash whiskey. i was scared and said sir, may i please have your autograph? i was shakin because of how nervous i was. he looked me square in the face with those wild lookin whiskey eyes, two inches away,..thought for a moment, then took his open hand, placed it on my little innocent face, pushed me away and said with whiskey breath, "get outta here kid before i get my son to come over here and kick yer a***.... been the sandman since that day..i did tell my dad, but all he did was knuckle rub my hair till it smoked and then called me a sissy. :blink:

Guest SwineTown

sandman - the above is officially my favourite post on the forum!