-
Posts
6,021 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
18
Everything posted by Crump99
-
Yes you are right but historically and on balance the nutjob is right. I recall going to the EoES one Sunday and it absolutely hammered it down about a mile from circuit and I thought that's blown it. I arrived at the Showground and it was amazingly bone dry. That's very much the exception to the rule though, and I'll say again, if I've had a load of the wet stuff 8 miles away then so has the Showground. We can all come up with our own examples but I don't recall wasting too much time attending rain offs.
-
Afraid I agree with the nutjob. I'm 8 miles on the other side of Peterborough and if I've got rain and/or puddles then so has the EoES, whatever "it's been dry here all day" message you get from the track. I can't recall getting it wrong too much over the years.
-
He's just checking for iainb.
-
Got more chance of easily filling your tank today.
-
Panthers v King's Lynn Thursday
Crump99 replied to Flappy's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Panthers have been on borrowed time for 20 years at the EoES. It's just natural progression of expansion within a growing city. It's long passed the point of fighting developers. I haven't read the ET spread I was pointed to yesterday that appeared in last week's copy so will look at that with interest to see what's changed from the original local plan. Especially as speedway isn't mentioned in the paper article I'm told, although, if my memory serves me right, the original PCC LP said that alternative facilities had to be found for existing sporting facilities in operation (ie speedway). I've always said that if we're not running (say in 2023) then there is not a working facility to relocate. Whether it's scare or reality, there are plenty of people who will have a much clearer picture. I mean, Bratters lives onsite and still takes an interest in most things EoES, some things speedway and most things Posh so he'd be a good starting point. -
They used to be chasing star names and higher quality though. That no longer applies. The Prem+ (with a little p) model seems to have been accepted and what we do know is that they will follow through seeing how much lower they can go but still make it viable.
-
Panthers v King's Lynn Thursday
Crump99 replied to Flappy's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
King's Lynn Speedway (@KLSpeedway) / Twitter -
The relevance of the GP and the SON to British Speedway has diminished considerably over recent years. Out of live sight out and out of mind.
-
Peterborough v Ipswich Monday 6th September
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
46/7 and getting stronger and fitter Guess you're a youngster (no it's not a question). The two certainties in life are death and taxes. Of course if you're a speedway rider that includes being flung off your bike at high speed several times a season. It doesn't matter how fit and strong you are, at that age you no longer bounce or fix quickly as he's already proved in 2021. -
Stupidest post of the day award. Well done, even tops the loonie's Buzz post
-
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Which bit of exception and not the norm don't you understand. It's not about allowing, it's an attempt at an explanation that you said that you wanted. Get all promoters to evidence and justify their call off decisions to the powers that be and then they can decide a way forward. -
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
48/72 hours can be justified depending on the forecast and other associated local administrative issues. That doesn't mean that it's right and should be seen as a normal course of action because the first priority is to make sure that the fixture goes ahead if possible. I can't speak for speedway generally, if that's what you're getting at, but Peterborough have had to make a call a few times this season and based on the available evidence at the time they did what they had to do without the benefit of hindsight. -
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Well the rain has arrived now so it's just how much and how long. The forecast has changed again so it looks even more like the right call now. -
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
If they still have to make a decision early to avoid rental charges then a decision has to be made based on the forecast which wasn't great although it looks like it make blow over with a little bit of wet stuff and not much more. Another date could see Ostrich fit or a guest option but Lynn shouldn't have been a problem even with r/r. -
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
Not forgetting the wasted opportunity provided by Skysports and their Elite League, or that we had Frost and Mahoney at the helm who had the money to do much of what you say is needed. These two should have upped the profile of the sport to take it to another level but both saw that aspects of the sport can't be changed full stop so it gets the product it deserves, which is ??? - well I'm sure that everyone has their own opinion. -
Peterborough v Kings Lynn 5th August
Crump99 replied to bigcatdiary's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
That's usually classed of a feast of speedway at the EoES. Long gone are the days when we ran regularly in the summer. -
Premiership League Prediction 2021
Crump99 replied to Daniel Smith's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
You're in the right ballpark but most come from the seating area with conscious bias -
Premiership League Prediction 2021
Crump99 replied to Daniel Smith's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
It is quite an amusing read. Not many contributors on here in the predicting game that you'd ask to select your lottery numbers. -
No it was the correct decision end of. You wouldn't be happy with a straight call off on Sunday, you'd want weather and temperature charts from Friday evening. You've already questioned summer drying time. The forecast they had, which is no doubt the one that they use and trust, said rain on this occasion. It matters not that someone else can find something different. If you're not paying the bills or doing the work then it is easy to say that the show must go on but you might have been of different mind if you were. The press release was fine and to add in the forecast (as they knew it) was also ok. You're just arguing for the sake of it now so I'll bid you good day!
-
Personally I think that it was in doubt from Friday evening so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was called off irrespective of the forecast. I think I've lost the point you're trying to make though. They had to make a call on the circumstances and information they had. So based on that it was correct decision. So you're saying that if you were paying the bills and doing the organisation you'd have waited until Monday (you've got until lunchtime I believe before losing your money), ignored the forecast and hoped that no unexpected showers crop up between 12 & 7.30 to further dampen you're already sodden circuit?
-
So basically you like to sit at the EoES for an hour, look at a load of people staring at the track doing nothing, be thanked for your patience and then sent home again with your ticket and blank programme? That's what the forecast suggested. The call wasn't just based on the forecast alone, albeit what turned out to be an incorrect one, but additionally "Club staff have already pumped over 150 tonnes of water off the circuit following Friday’s deluge" - It might be summer but it ain't no 76 and when the riders got to look at it then I'm not sure that 72 hours non-drying time would have been enough for them to want to race on it.
-
Cat Fight. P'boro v Sheffield 28 June
Crump99 replied to Col's topic in SGB Premiership Speedway League
I did think when we didn't get any "all systems go" messages throughout the day that it sounded like it was going to be one of those nights.