British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BARMYARMY

HACKNEY HAWKS

Guest BARMYARMY

god how i miss them fridays at 8. have to keep going on the hawks site just to relive some memories and listerning to the magnificent 7 music. wish we was up and running again. :lol:

Guest BARMYARMY

well it has to be zenon plech, thrill a minute merchant, took enough safety fences up in his time lol. i also had great pleasure in seeing barry thomas come from the back many a time over waterden road.

well it has to be zenon plech, thrill a minute merchant, took enough safety fences up in his time lol. i also had great pleasure in seeing barry thomas come from the back many a time over waterden road.

OMG!!!! Cue LT! :roll: :!:

I'm not old enough to remember Zenon, but my brother nearly got named after him :approve: ...Hmm I wonder who Scorpio is named after...is it Thommo?...I am named after the 1974 world champion...

Anyway my favourite riders were...Andy Galvin, Mark Loram, Chris Louis, Barry Thomas, Alan Mogridge, Schoie, Dave Hamnett, Tony Olsson.

Aaaaaaaahhhh those were the days!

Does anyone else remember the 1988 (last ever) ALL LONDON KnockOut Cup Final at Wimbledon? What a night to remember (except if you were a Dons fan maybe!), the conditions were atrocious and the match had already been postponed as the first leg once before so anyway everyone plugged away and put on one of the best speedway meetings I can remember.......

Wouldn't it be great to be able to revive the old London derby clashes!

I couldn't even begin to reply to this one lol :D

Dutch Boy

I was at that meeting (at both legs in fact). As I remember it was originally rained off and was close to being called off a 2nd time as there was a big downpour about half an hour before tapes up.

Although Hackney had a 24 point lead from the 1st leg the Dons had got to the final by overcoming a 22 point deficit against Midenhall and a 20 point deficit against berwick so there was a faint hope that they could do something special. However that Dons team weren't particularly fond of the wet and once the weather was so bad they were imo beaten before the start. Can' t really remember it as a great meeting, but I do remember the Kestrels being highly motivated not just to win the Cup but also to win both legs. There had been some ill feeling between the camps throughout the season and a controversial draw at Plough Lane as well as some debate over who should hold the second leg of the final.

Do you remember who Hackneys man of the match was in the 2nd leg?

I couldn't even begin to reply to this one lol :D

I can lol Zenon used to lodge with Auntie Una in Leytonstone, he washed his leathers one day in the washing machine. Auntie Una came home to find the machine jumping all around her kitchen.....needless to say he had to buy new Leathers and a new machine ;) Bloody Foreigners :lol::lol:

I'm not old enough to remember Zenon, but my brother nearly got named after him ...Hmm I wonder who Scorpio is named after...is it Thommo?...I am named after the 1974 world champion...

good job you weren't named after the 1973 world champion then...

Please make a note on your calendar that the Vic Harding Memorial Trophy will run on the 29th June at Sittingbourne Speedway Club-Iwade-. Vic's Mum, sister and her daughters will be the guest of honours at this meeting. I feel sure had we been allowed to run this meeting in February we would have seen a massive crowd. Think back the weather was fantastic that day!

I really hope a big crowd comes to the meeting on June 29th to show Edna Harding-Vic's Mum- that her son is still fondly remembered and why her son was so popular at Sunderland,Weymouth, Crayford and of course Hackney. It's hard to believe but it's 24 years since that tragic day.

Chris Fenn and I are putting something together that I hope will happen some time this year or the early part of next year. More details soon. No it's not a speedway track return for Hackney, unless the lottery numbers come up!

Guest cheetahhawk
Please make a note on your calendar that the Vic Harding Memorial Trophy will run on the 29th June at Sittingbourne Speedway Club-Iwade-. Vic's Mum, sister and her daughters will be the guest of honours at this meeting. I feel sure had we been allowed to run this meeting in February we would have seen a massive crowd. Think back the weather was fantastic that day!

I really hope a big crowd comes to the meeting on June 29th to show Edna Harding-Vic's Mum- that her son is still fondly remembered and why her son was so popular at Sunderland,Weymouth, Crayford and of course Hackney. It's hard to believe but it's 24 years since that tragic day.

Chris Fenn and I are putting something together that I hope will happen some time this year or the early part of next year. More details soon. No it's not a speedway track return for Hackney, unless the lottery numbers come up!

Paul,only an earthquake or death will keep me away from this meeting.I know it was 24 years since we lost Vic as my eldest son was a baby at the time and he is now 24,I just can't beleive how fast those years have gone and still miss Vic and Hackney of course. Let's hope the weather is kind to us on June 29th.

Hmmmmm just as long as no-one tells Mr Russell things should go to plan then this time ;) See you all there xx Supposed to have a christening that day but invite not arrived yet just been mentioned in the pub so it's hard luck I know where I'm gonna be :roll: and it's not church :!:

Can any of you Hawks fans remember the 1981 British league match against Cradley, Hackney used Bobby Schwartz as a guest (can't remember who for), not a good choice under the circumstances, Bobby was a real favourite with Cradley fans and good friends with Penhall, so it wasn't too surprising when he dropped valuable points when maybe he shouldn't of. This meeting came after the Thames TV Trophy which was televised live earlier in the evening (Penhall won it)

Whilst I'm at it, the 1977 Hackney v Cradley League match also springs to mind, is it still the biggest home reversal for the Hawks?

I thought Waterdon Road was a great little racing strip, whatever happened to Hawkeye?

Can any of you Hawks fans remember the 1981 British league match against Cradley, Hackney used Bobby Schwartz as a guest (can't remember who for), not a good choice under the circumstances, Bobby was a real favourite with Cradley fans and good friends with Penhall, so it wasn't too surprising when he dropped valuable points when maybe he shouldn't of.

Bobby did apologise to Len Silver afterwards though...so that's alright!