British Speedway Forum
superdons

Wimbledon Memories

2 hours ago, prodons said:

What’s great about this site and this particular topic, is that we all have our own favourites to pick from.

Mark “Buzz” Burrows was, IMO the most spectacular and arguably most popular rider of the CL era at Plough Lane. He’d definitely make my all time top 10 Dons riders based on entertainment value!

`i endorse your comment prodons. Mark Burrows was indeed a popular and spectacular Dons rider in the 2002-2005 Conference League era.

However in regard to all-time from the very old pre-WW2 days it was in general opinion 'Cyclone' Billy Lamont. And for me post-war without doubt Oliver Hart.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, prodons said:

What’s great about this site and this particular topic, is that we all have our own favourites to pick from.

Mark “Buzz” Burrows was, IMO the most spectacular and arguably most popular rider of the CL era at Plough Lane. He’d definitely make my all time top 10 Dons riders based on entertainment value!

Indeed, all about opinions. Very few if any fan has ever seen Lamont, whereas many have seen Buzz. So I guess if asked Buzz would come higher up the list on ‘ most spectacular Dons rider’  How can we really judge how spectacular Lamont was without some decent footage of him in action? Totally different from judging someone on his scores. A pity that there isn’t more film of those early days

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

Indeed, all about opinions. Very few if any fan has ever seen Lamont, whereas many have seen Buzz. So I guess if asked Buzz would come higher up the list on ‘ most spectacular Dons rider’  How can we really judge how spectacular Lamont was without some decent footage of him in action? Totally different from judging someone on his scores. A pity that there isn’t more film of those early days

In a modern era of watching spectacular Wimbledon riders I saw Oliver Hart as a Dons' rider in 1946. Perhaps that name rings a bell with you. He is regarded generally as being a spectacular rider and I am sure there must still be some BSF members who saw Hart in action.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Edited by Guest
image use

5 minutes ago, gustix said:

In a modern era of watching spectacular Wimbl´don riders I saw Oliver Hart as a Dons' rider in 1946. Perhaps that name rings a bell with you. He is regarded generally as being a spectacular rider and I am sure there must still be some BSF members who saw Hart in action.

I guess it is like asking who the best England football players were. Stanley Matthews or Duncan Edwards might well be right up there, but most people wouldn’t have seen them and generally choose the more modern players.... just a handful would have seen Hart and most might never have heard his name mentioned at all, let alone in regards to being spectacular 

Edited by iris123
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, prodons said:

Out of debate interest. Who in your opinion would be in that top 10?

34 minutes ago, gustix said:

Out of debate interest. Who in your opinion would be in that top 10?

For me (from those I have seen):

Buzz Burrows, Roger Johns, Neil Cameron, Brad Oxley, Colin Richardson, Olle Nygren, Alan Mogridge, Terry Mussett, Rodney Payne, Ray Morton.

Edited by chunky

20 minutes ago, chunky said:

For me (from those I have seen):

Buzz Burrows, Roger Johns, Neil Cameron, Brad Oxley, Colin Richardson, Olle Nygren, Alan Mogridge, Terry Mussett, Rodney Payne, Ray Morton.

I've heard of all of those except Terry Mussett. Are you sure he rode for Wimbledon? :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I’d go for Kevin Tatum, Brad Oxley, Roger Johns, Mark Burrows, Gavin Hedge, Jamie Luckhurst, Ray Morton, Andre Cross, Rodney Payne and Terry Mussett.

Similar to Chunky, applies to those I’ve actually seen, so from the late 1970’s onwards.

If we're going for Wimbledon riders I've actually seen riding in Wimbledon colours, I'd go for Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs, Ron How, Sverre Harrfeldt, Olle Nygren, Gote Nordin, Bob Andrews, Edward Jancarz, Reg Luckhurst and Terry Mussett.

Edited by norbold

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

I guess it is like asking who the best England football players were. Stanley Matthews or Duncan Edwards might well be right up there, but most people wouldn’t have seen them and generally choose the more modern players.... just a handful would have seen Hart and most might never have heard his name mentioned at all, let alone in regards to being spectacular 

I'm old enough to have seen Sir Stan play albeit at the end of his career appearing for Stoke in December 1963 at White Hart lane.

25 minutes ago, Split said:

I'm old enough to have seen Sir Stan play albeit at the end of his career appearing for Stoke in December 1963 at White Hart lane.

But on this fan poll he just gets into the top 10. Duncan Edwards not in there. But on another top 10 he is number 1, which shows how they can vary

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportbible.com/football/news-the-top-25-england-players-of-all-time-according-to-fans-20200328.amp.html

1 hour ago, prodons said:

I’d go for Kevin Tatum, Brad Oxley, Roger Johns, Mark Burrows, Gavin Hedge, Jamie Luckhurst, Ray Morton, Andre Cross, Rodney Payne and Terry Mussett.

Similar to Chunky, applies to those I’ve actually seen, so from the late 1970’s onwards.

Kelvin and Jamie were probably my next two in line...

Ronnie Moore, Trevor Hedge, Graeme Stapleton, Neil Cameron, Tommy Jansson, Bert Harkins, Roger Johns, Mick Hines, Larry Ross, Stefan Salomonsson.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Ronnie Moore, Trevor Hedge, Graeme Stapleton, Neil Cameron, Tommy Jansson, Bert Harkins, Roger Johns, Mick Hines, Larry Ross, Stefan Salomonsson.

Is this most spectacular or best ?

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Is this most spectacular or best ?

Personal favourites.