British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Mystery Men Retro Photos

I think the whole Birmingham team in 1960 were 'guests'. They returned after packing up in 1957. Rather like New Cross did in 1959 with a limited number of meetings and using what riders that were available. Norman or one of the Brummie lads could no doubt give the full details in case I have not got it 100% correct. :oops:

Yes, you're right, Jim. Birmingham didn't have a team of their own in 1960 they just used guest riders.

Excellent research, Bob.

How can you tell tell the difference between Poole and Liverpool's jacket?

Tony, its about the size and shape of the skull and XBones.

Poole have a small pear drop shaped skull,and wider spread of the bones.

See here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.bayliss1/pirates2.htm

Liverpool have a larger skull,(similar to a monkey nut in its shell),and the bones are not so wide spread.

See here: http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Liverpool.htm

Hope that helps.

Tony, its about the size and shape of the skull and XBones.

Poole have a small pear drop shaped skull,and wider spread of the bones.

See here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/chris.bayliss1/pirates2.htm

Liverpool have a larger skull,(similar to a monkey nut in its shell),and the bones are not so wide spread.

See here: http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Liverpool.htm

Hope that helps.

Cheers for the clarification. Did Liverpool also ride in blue and white jackets?

Why was the little figure looking over the wall called a "chad"??????

Why was the little figure looking over the wall called a "chad"??????

Nobody is absolutely certain, but it's thought to be attributed to a cartoonist called George Chatterton (also known as 'Chat') and first appeared here during the war with the slogan 'Wot no..........' depending on what the shortage was at the time (the first one is thought to be 'Wot no eggs').

The best bit is, he appears all over the World with different names; where you are, he's known as Herbie, but South of the Canadian border, and most famously, he's called Kilroy.

That all started with the popular grafitto 'Kilroy was here' and at some point during the war, it's thought that the Americans over here picked up on Chad, and combined it with Kilroy, so now he's everywhere, including, apparently, on the WWII Memorial at the Whitehouse.

Cheers for the clarification. Did Liverpool also ride in blue and white jackets?

No.

Liverpool were Red and White.

I'll give it another go then Tony: :)

Poland 1: Florian Kepala left and Mieczyslaw Polukard right.

Coventry 6: Tony Lomas and Martin Ashby.

Cradley Heath 5: Roy Trigg

Southhampton 3 v. Sweden: Gote Nordin & Dick Bradley.

Unknown 14. (This a pure guess) Bryan Elliott??

Unknown v. Oxford 68-1 Tony Lomas (not sure about the Oxford rider tho)

Unknown 13: Gote Nordin.

Leicester 2: Ken McKinley

Swindon 2: Ian Williams left & Tadeuz Teodorowicz right.

Russia 1: Valerie Klementiev

Russia 4 & 5 Boris Samorodov

We will be adding some of the older clubs' racejackets - (eg, New Cross, Harringay, Norwich, Southampton, etc) to the club section fairly soonish, so that pics of riders from those defuct tracks can be showcased.

That would be great Tony. Some New Cross ones would not go amiss and especially from the 1959 season when Peter Craven was a guest ( I would buy them also) for them as did many other riders that year, and PC also won the Tom Farndon Memorial Trophy that year. I know Alf took a lot there cos I saw him every week. Also, I like the Thursday practise shots from Wembley around 1959/63 as we have already seen. :)

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Looking at him I just can't believe that Tony Mac isn't old enough to know all these riders he's asking about! Mind you I did warn him that supporting West Ham (football NOT speedway!) would age him prematurely!!! :wink::lol:

Confirmations we've received via private emails include:

World Team Cup unknowns: Heat 1 from Vienna - Bjorn Knutson leading Dick Fisher and Antonin Kasper.

Wolves (3) Riders' Championship @ Wolves, August 16, 1963 - 1st Pete Jarman, 2nd Tommy Sweetman, 3rd Howard Cole (aka Bodie).

Unknown WTC round: British semi-final at Southampton, July 24, 1962 - heat 1: Craven leading Briggo, Moore & Bob Andrews.

Sunderland (1) is John Lynch.

The Briggo/Ronnie Moore gate shot was at the 1959 Wembley World Final practice.

Halifax (2) is John Titman.

There is some debate about Cradley (5). Some say Roy Trigg (his distinctive handlebars have been mentioned), but Ian Silk has also been put forward. Maybe he borrowed Triggy's bike? Think the pic was taken at Reading. Any further thoughts?

Cradley Heath (2) is Andrew Bearne (as confirned by his daughter Lucy!).

Edited by tmc

Good news indeed TMC that you are gradually getting the info you require and providing many memories for lots on this forum at the same time.

Looking at him I just can't believe that Tony Mac isn't old enough to know all these riders he's asking about! Mind you I did warn him that supporting West Ham (football NOT speedway!) would age him prematurely!!! :wink::lol:

Not sure your going to get much response with a joke or two from young Tony, Bryn. Its difficult enough to get any response when you place an order with him. :wink::lol:

Cradley (8) 76-1 - I'm pretty sure that it's Steve Bastable as I have a photo of him from the following year in the same leathers which are red and yellow

I'll give it another go then Tony: :)

Poland 1: Florian Kepala left and Mieczyslaw Polukard right.

Sorry Jim, I am 100% sure that it is Henryk Zyto is on the right. You could well be right about Kapala, though. I wasn't sure whether that was Polukard or Kapala...

Steve

Newcastle 3. Brian Craven is with a junior called Derek Grieves. :approve:

:rolleyes::rolleyes: