British Speedway Forum
gaztrotter

2010 Grand Prix wildcards

I have just had a smile to myself looking through a few of the posts here and i was going to quote a few but to be honest

i think i'll leave it at just this one.

Steve Shovlar, on 13 November 2009 - 12:40 PM, said:

Terrible to chose Harris. In fact disgraceful. I would have chosen Eddie or Richardson over Harris any day of the week. Bomber has had his chance. in fact I would have chosen Nicholls over Bomber as well.

With one round to go .......

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

3 points from 5th in the world ?, yep, they sure made a massive error picking Harris didn't they ?.

Try looking at last season's results. Shovlar was on the mark, his view was entirely correct. Two riders not chosen finished ahead of Harris last year. He was picked because he was British. Fair enough, he took his fourth chance. Remember, Harris still has never qualified for the GPs on merit. He is going to do so this year, but he should never have been given the chance.

Try looking at last season's results. Shovlar was on the mark, his view was entirely correct. Two riders not chosen finished ahead of Harris last year. He was picked because he was British. Fair enough, he took his fourth chance. Remember, Harris still has never qualified for the GPs on merit. He is going to do so this year, but he should never have been given the chance.

You make some decent points, one that Chris Harris was picked because he was British, but this season he should now qualify out right, and is showing that he is becoming a quality rider.

The riders mentioned by Shovlar Nicholls, Richardson and Kennett would not have made the impact that Bomber has made this season.

I have just had a smile to myself looking through a few of the posts here and i was going to quote a few but to be honest

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

3 points from 5th in the world ?, yep, they sure made a massive error picking Harris didn't they ?.

Justice finally done as one of the most exiting riders of modern times wins the title. Also, well done Bomber who now moves up 15 points ahead of the rider in ninth place. It is now a big ask for any of the persuing group, Andersen, Jonsson, Pedersen and Lindgren to overhaul him or even Holder for that matter.

This could result in tricky situation with regard to wildcards.

Kolodziej was assured of a pick if Lindgren finished in the top eight but, as this is unlikely to happen, he may now miss out unless the organisers are happy to have four Poles in the series. Then, what of Denmark - will they get two wildcards. If they do then they will be obliged to offer one to Jonsson as well.

Sayfutdinov will be in, I am sure. Now, though they have the opportunity to seed a second Brit. It won't be Tai, who has been largely out of his depth and the pick came at the wrong time. Lee Richardson is the obviuos choice but he has just transferred to Lakeside, a Friday night track and a promotion who wish do not wish to stage meetings other than on Fridays.

1st Tomasz Gollob 163

2nd Jaroslaw Hampel 131

3rd Jason Crump 129

4th Kenneth Bjerre 102

5th Rune Holta 97

6th Greg Hancock 95

7th Chris Harris 94

8th Chris Holder 90

With Bjerre riding like a donkey of late its not impossible for Bomber to take 4th spot .... Bjerre could score 10 in the qualifiers & still be passed by Chris if he made the semi's with 12pts and won his semi & took 2nd in the Final giving him a 9pt swing. This depends on other riders as well of course. Must be honest cannot see Bjerre getting 10pts anyway on a racers track.

Nest years picks should be Emil & Nicki (nailed on) ... Janusz & Tai Woffinden .... Andersen & Jonsson have had there chances, and Tai has done okay for his first attempt in a difficult year for him. If Noddy messes up he should get a spot. :)

I don't think some of the Hierachy would allow 4 poles and 2 danes tbh. Top 8 will stay the same, with the wildcards going to Andersen, Pedersen, Saifutidnov and then one out of Kolodziej, Jonsson or a brit. Imo Andersen has done more than Jonsson this year by making two finals to Jonssons one, whilst also picking up injuries on the way, Jonsson has had no troubles this year and ever since that exclusion in the semi earlier in the year just doesn't look interested, at least Andersen is trying.

I reckon the 2011 GP line up will be ....

1 ~ Tomasz Gollob

2 ~ Jarek Hampel

3 ~ Jason Crump

4 ~ Rune Holta

5 ~ Kenneth Bjerre

6 ~ Greg Hancock

7 ~ Chris Harris

8 ~ Chris Holder

9 ~ Artem Laguta

10 ~ Antonio Lindback

11 ~ Fredrik Lindgren

12 ~ Nicki Pedersen

13 ~ Hans Andersen

14 ~ Andreas Jonsson

15 ~ Emil Sayfutdinov

16 ~ WILD CARD

17 ~ 18 ~ Track Reserves

19 ~ Janusz Kolodiej

Emil is gauranteed a selection while the Series wouldn't be the same without Nicki P who has had a bad year and injuries keeping him back from claiming a top 8 spot. When you look around at the World Class riders, there isn't anyone better than AJ and Hans and they can both still mix it with the best and on their day make the rostrum.

As Janusz Kolodiej is first reserve, then he will probably get a few rides any way but being Polish Champion now he may get a call up but would they want a fourth Pole as well as a Russian ?

Can't see how Britain can be given a Wild Card as Scott Nicholls has proved year after year he isnt up to it and looks much better now he is out of the circus while Tai will get another chance in the future.

Would be an absolute joke if Kolodziej doesn't get in. I don't care about nationalities. He is the most deserving rider to get a Wild Card.

my picks would be Nicki, Emil, Kolodziej and then either Hans or AJ. However i am quite sure that Tai will get one pick on the expense of AJ, Hans

or Kolodziej espcially since Harris managed top 8.

can't see how Britain can be given a Wild Card as Scott Nicholls has proved year after year he isnt up to it and looks much better now he is out of the circus while Tai will get another chance in the future.

The more I think about it the more I think Tai could be a nailed on wild card .. it was his first year & should do much better next season. I think they will cut him some slack and give him another season unless he does not want to do it. Hans would benefit from a year away .. he is nearly 30 now and should be a lot better than he is. Davey Watt is a much more experienced rider but Tai has matched his scores in the series. :neutral:

Edited by Wolfman1958

I reckon the 2011 GP line up will be ....

1 ~ Tomasz Gollob

2 ~ Jarek Hampel

3 ~ Jason Crump

4 ~ Rune Holta

5 ~ Kenneth Bjerre

6 ~ Greg Hancock

7 ~ Chris Harris

8 ~ Chris Holder

9 ~ Artem Laguta

10 ~ Antonio Lindback

11 ~ Fredrik Lindgren

12 ~ Nicki Pedersen

13 ~ Hans Andersen

14 ~ Andreas Jonsson

15 ~ Emil Sayfutdinov

16 ~ WILD CARD

17 ~ 18 ~ Track Reserves

19 ~ Janusz Kolodiej

Emil is gauranteed a selection while the Series wouldn't be the same without Nicki P who has had a bad year and injuries keeping him back from claiming a top 8 spot. When you look around at the World Class riders, there isn't anyone better than AJ and Hans and they can both still mix it with the best and on their day make the rostrum.

As Janusz Kolodiej is first reserve, then he will probably get a few rides any way but being Polish Champion now he may get a call up but would they want a fourth Pole as well as a Russian ?

Can't see how Britain can be given a Wild Card as Scott Nicholls has proved year after year he isnt up to it and looks much better now he is out of the circus while Tai will get another chance in the future.

I think you are pretty much on the money there

Whether people like it or not (and I personally don't) a quota system rules in the IMG offices..... and that combined with the amount of GP's a nation holds along with just how much a rider stands out determines the picks......... a couple of years ago it was possible for a couple of nations to have 4 riders but for every Russian (and future extra Aussie) who qualifies it makes it less of a viable scenario for IMG unless they are strongarmed into it due to qualification results

Emil and Nicki are nailed on WC's for obvious reasons........ that leaves the Danes and the Swedes with only two riders each and the brits with one....... significantly there is no new Brit to try ....and despite sporadic improvement from Tai IMG are not going to be able to justify a 2011 selection for him..... its a similar story for the Danes and Swedes with no stand out guys.............. so I also reckon its going to be Andersen and Jonsson coming back .............. the major threat to that scenario is not Kolodziej imho but an inadvisable bringing back of Scott or Rico purely based on quota......

If it works out that way Janusz can count himself unlucky ..... but this is what Hampel went through for what ended up being a few years

Really hope Hans will get in because he was doing ok till he had the coming together with Nikki.His scores went down because of injury but he battled on. He had a suspect exclusion in the last gp which cost him a point and they all count.

When do they announce who gets the wild card slots.

1 ~ Tomasz Gollob

2 ~ Jarek Hampel

3 ~ Jason Crump

4 ~ Rune Holta

5 ~ Kenneth Bjerre

6 ~ Greg Hancock

7 ~ Chris Harris

8 ~ Chris Holder

9 ~ Artem Laguta

10 ~ Antonio Lindback

11 ~ Fredrik Lindgren

12 ~ Nicki Pedersen

13 ~ Janusz Kolodziej

14 ~ Emil Sayfutdinov

15 ~ Random Brit

Can't see AJ or Hans being back to be honest. 2 Swedes, 2 Danes already there assuming Pedersen gets a pick (which he will). Shame but I reckon they'll give another Brit a chance, though none are deserving.

It's a tricky one this year, with so many big names outside the top 8. So, yes, Andersen and Jonsson could well miss out with N Pedersen and Emil surely getting picks.

So pleased that Harris looks set to qualify by right. Britain was becoming too much of a charity case. Not sure we'll get a second Brit next year. Woffinden will learn from the experience and hopefully be back. Rico and Nicholls are better riders than Tai but have probably had their day now.

Would like Kolodjiez to get a pick. Always good to watch.