British Speedway Forum

Thank you Mr Robinson, been following speedway for over 50 years you and only you have killed my love of the sport in 30 minutes well done you should be ashamed of yourself , how many more supporters are you going to drive away.

• Like 1

Not me.

How much time did the Referee actually cost us last night?

He was excluding Riders who were at the Tapes for heavens sake. Fine the Rider by all means but don't exclude him - it takes a while to get another Rider ready as we saw last night. Then what did he do? He excluded him as well.

Whatever happened to common sense?

RIDICULOUS!!!

you're always complaining about riders going back to the pits after a false start!!! I thought you'd be delighted

• Like 1

I am a neutral and support speedway rather than a team.

Having watched last night's meeting, I think things have been blown out of hand.

Yes the ref did make some silly early exclusions at the gate, although how many of us have moaned on here before about riders wasting time at the gate and hating them going back in to the pit after a re start.

However the exclusions for Morris touching the tapes in heat 1, exclusions for Nathan, Troy & Worrall falling off due to not being positioned correctly and then the exclusion for Morris causing the crash would have all been the same regardless of which ref or what track.

after the first few heats it was no longer about the ref and more about the teams. When I have visited Brandon a couple of times this season the track has been a lot better than last night but personally it has not looked the worst track I have seen this year and was capable of producing some good racing.

I think it wasn't the track but the attitudes of the teams that stood out for me.

This is just my personal opinion but to me Swindon were poor last night (with exception of North & Simon) They were out done on the night and because of this and being shown up on the night, they had to make a bigger fuss about the track and the ref than needed. They seem to be missing any team bond which is very important in speedway. Batchelor doesn't like to ride on dusty track last night but has also complained on tv this year about having to ride on wet, slick, grippy or bumpy track when losing so what is it he wants? I have seen some good meetings by Swindon this year but was very disappointed by their negativity last night.

Lets hope they get it sorted before their next meeting.

Coventry seem to be getting better and have been impressed with them each time I have seen them home or away this year. They had 4 riders carrying injury (you could tell Jason was in agony) but they came together as a team, motivated and supported each other. I have liked their never give in attitude this year. Hope they make the play offs as looking good along with King's Lynn and Poole.

• Like 1

I think the start marshall wasn't at his best either. Nige and Kev missed the reason why Steve tried to go to gate 3. The start marshall lifted three fingers up to denote 'only three riders', and Steve thought he meant 'go to gate 3'. When he tried to, Garrity thought he would block him by trying to also take gate 3. After that it was a farce with communication, despite the walkie talkie, being very poor between the Start marshall and Robinson. Steve chucked out, Oh Dear.

A shambles by the officials, who obviously had not talked to the riders and TM's beforehand on procedure, and also the existence of a clock to be used for the 2 minute count.

Every Sky meeting I've been involved in referee has a riders meeting along with certain officials. It is then he tells what he expects and his style of interpreting the rules.

• Like 1

It says more about the referee than the sport. No one accuses football of going down the drain when the nightmare that is Kevin Friend referees a match

• Like 2

I think the start marshall wasn't at his best either. Nige and Kev missed the reason why Steve tried to go to gate 3. The start marshall lifted three fingers up to denote 'only three riders', and Steve thought he meant 'go to gate 3'. When he tried to, Garrity thought he would block him by trying to also take gate 3. After that it was a farce with communication, despite the walkie talkie, being very poor between the Start marshall and Robinson. Steve chucked out, Oh Dear.

A shambles by the officials, who obviously had not talked to the riders and TM's beforehand on procedure, and also the existence of a clock to be used for the 2 minute count.

No excuse whatsoever the sport comes first the referee was a total p.... entertainment is the name of the game but i am afraid he wanted to be the star of the show why should we give him any slack.In all my time watching speedway last night was the worst ever i believe worst than the Ebdon fiasco in 84 he should be banned for LIFE.! Edited by sidney
  • Like 1

you're always complaining about riders going back to the pits after a false start!!! I thought you'd be delighted

However when they are already at the Tapes what the hell is the point of sending them back to the Pits? Not sure what you mean by the highlighted bit of your Post. I don't like Riders delaying the Starts by going back to the Pits - and crucially - I don't like Referees delaying the Starts when the Riders are AT the Start either.

Hope that helps.

Last night was as I said RIDICULOUS!!!

Incidentally - it did no favours for Speedway on the Television either. It embarrassed the Commentators on SKY, had Riders and Supporters wondering what the heck was going on AND to crown it all - probably put any casual viewers of Speedway off the Sport for life.

• Like 3

I generally try to look on the positive side, unfortunately, as a referee Dave Robinson doesn't have one.

If I remember rightly he was a trainee ref at the same time as Ms Vardy, presumably they were in desperate need of more officials at the time so didn't worry about the training.

Well having a thread all of his own will only cap a perfect evening where Robinson is concerned! The bloke has mechaniced for various riders and should know how much time is required between races. The fact of the matter is the SCB always love a crawler/brownoser which he certainly was when he started out. Oh and be warned,with Jim Mcregor in charge of dishing out meetings to the refs,he will be put in for a lot of Swindon meetings. This sport has got idiots and crooks at the helm,with only a few people trying to get the sport going forward and the idiots are winning!! Please don't whine & winge when the world class riders say sod the UK as speedway in this country is almost dead.

In a meeting at Ipswich this season he excluded a rider for delaying the start. One rider was at the tapes, the rider he excluded was about 3 yards from the tapes and there were 2 other riders about 10 yards behind the excluded rider fannying about.

The fact of the matter is the SCB always love a crawler/brownoser which he certainly was when he started out. Oh and be warned,with Jim Mcregor in charge of dishing out meetings to the refs,he will be put in for a lot of Swindon meetings. This sport has got idiots and crooks at the helm,with only a few people trying to get the sport going forward and the idiots are winning!! Please don't whine & winge when the world class riders say sod the UK as speedway in this country is almost dead.

Harsh words and accusations. Evidence?

• Like 2

How we miss Gary Snooks, one of the best in the business!

The standard of officials in the British Leagues is very poor, but how do they get assessed ? Nobody seems to get taken off the list, even if they are rubbish week in week out.

Interesting reading the account in the SS today. It's so obvious Robinson has a problem with Swindon , more to the point Rosco.

When a referee allows personal feelings to dictate decisions, his ability to be professional has been destroyed. He has no place left in the sport.

This pathetic man, destroyed the meeting at Coventry, he obviously turned fans away from the sport, and SKY must question their presence at future meetings where he is officiating. .

Interesting reading the account in the SS today. It's so obvious Robinson has a problem with Swindon , more to the point Rosco.

When a referee allows personal feelings to dictate decisions, his ability to be professional has been destroyed. He has no place left in the sport.

This pathetic man, destroyed the meeting at Coventry, he obviously turned fans away from the sport, and SKY must question their presence at future meetings where he is officiating. .

Agree he made some silly choices but wasn't just against Swindon.

He excluded 2 Swindon riders when they shouldn't have been as at tapes.

But Worrall should have been excluded in heat 2 when brought Sarj down but ref did nothing.

He also excluded Hans Andersen.

After the first couple of heats, the other exclusions would have been the same no matter who ref or team was.

Worrall & Nathan fell due to poor positioning on the bike.

Morris broke tapes in heat 1 and then later caused crash with Garrity.

Troy fell all on his own.

Any ref would have excluded them on these occasions.