British Speedway Forum
Igor

Viktor Trofimov

On 8/21/2011 at 10:09 AM, Igor said:

40 years ago, on 21 August 1971, Viktor Trofimov debuted at the Wembley in the race of the European final of the Individual World Championship.

Besides him, in London were other Soviet riders Vladimir Gordeev and Gennadiy Kurylenko, as well as another rider Rovno "RADUGA" - Grigoriy Khlynovskiy.

I was there.

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

I wonder if there has been another speedway family that has represented so many different countries ? Or say each generation a different one ? Possibly Russia also ?

Viktor- USSR

Vladimir- Ukraine

Viktor jr- Poland

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Vladimir also represented the USSR, didn't he?

Not really. It's all the same person, I think

And Australasia isn't a country, anyway...

6 hours ago, chunky said:

And Australasia isn't a country, anyway...

Pedant.

6 hours ago, norbold said:

Pedant.

Don't you mean "fraud"? :rofl:

Anyway, where are Pedants from; Pedantarctica?

4 hours ago, chunky said:

Don't you mean "fraud"? :rofl:

Anyway, where are Pedants from; Pedantarctica?

I can't think of anything worse than a fraudulent pedant from Pedantarctica.

• Like 1

Viktor Trofimov jr. (alias Wiktor Trofimow in Polish writing) has optained a Polish passport. He was one of the most promising Junior speedway riders at Rivne in the Ukraine, but was signed by one of the big Polish League clubs who organised for him to get a Polish passport, so that he could ride for them as a Polish junior. Similar story as what Sparta Wroclaw did this year with the Russian junior rider Gleb Chugunov.  

His grandfather Viktor Trofimov sr. rode as a Soviet Union (USSR) rider.

His father Vladimir Trofimov also rode as a Soviet/USSR rider until 1991 and then after the break-up of the USSR as an Ukrainian.

Viktor Trofimov jr. first rode as an Ukrainian until about two or three years ago, when he obtained a Polish passport and since then rides as Wiktor Trofimow jr. for Poland.

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Viktor Trofimov! Another mystery Russian rider for me - from the early !960s era when I was not closely following happenings in speedway. The first Russian rider I saw was in a second-half race at New Cross in the early 1960s. Not sure but I think - and I'm probably wrong! - that his name was Igor Baranov.

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, gustix said:

Viktor Trofimov! Another mystery Russian rider for me - from the early !960s era when I was not closely following happenings in speedway. The first Russian rider I saw was in a second-half race at New Cross in the early 1960s. Not sure but I think - and I'm probably wrong! - that his name was Igor Baranov.

Not just from the early 1960' s, John; Trofimov had a successful career well into the 70's. I always felt that while he never quite reached the level of some of the other Russians, he was actually a much better - and much more complete - rider than most.

So, do you remember any of the other Russians from the 60's, like Boris Samorodov, Yuri Chekranov, Gab Kadirov, and Vitaly Shilo?

I might be wrong, but I think this is a red herring......oh dear :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, chunky said:

Not just from the early 1960' s, John; Trofimov had a successful career well into the 70's. I always felt that while he never quite reached the level of some of the other Russians, he was actually a much better - and much more complete - rider than most.

So, do you remember any of the other Russians from the 60's, like Boris Samorodov, Yuri Chekranov, Gab Kadirov, and Vitaly Shilo?

I remember National Press coverage circa the 1960s of the Red Herring Fleet operating in the North Sea. The names listed as commented in a quote could have been members? So far as genuine speedway is concerned I lost interest and contact with the sport in the early !960s and that phase of my sporting interests continued for many years.

4 hours ago, iris123 said:

You're on your Jack Jones here, mate!!! :t:

• Haha 1

I refer you to a post I made earlier

On 9/16/2020 at 6:02 PM, chunky said:

I know Vitaly Shilo personally.

He has lived in the United States since 1990.

He came to Rivne (Ukraine) twice: in 2008 and in 2012.

I released a booklet about him.

And Vitaliy Shilo was in 2012 at the presentation of this booklet in Rivne at the museum ...

#_5_Львовский_ровенчанин_Виталий_Шило.jpg

• Like 1

A whole book about Viktor Trofimov was also published in 2011...

53610_1_Viktor_Trofimov_800.jpgi.gif