British Speedway Forum

Just back from Ipswich, first of all a big congratulations on all the track staff and riders for getting the meeting on in persistent rain. Racing was not too good but the riders gave it there all. Bit disappointed Taylor Poole was excluded in the final especially after Carl Wilkinson was allowed back in, conditions were a big part to play and there would have been no harm in letting all 8 restart in the circumstances. Mads seemed to take an age to get going in the final but as others fatigue and spluttering machinery he picked his way through the field and took victory overall. The 16 lap still provides a great spectacle and just a shame the rain played a bit of havoc!

A fascinating event - although I still feel that the qualifying heats need to be jazzed-up somehow.

The Grand Finale was an amazing race, with all seven in the re-run eventually completing the race, although with some sick-sounding motors. I agree that it's a shame Poole was excluded from the big race - the first two bends were chaotic, and "All 8 Back" would have been a reasonable call. Morris at one stage was at the back, but gradually picked his way through - there were several changes in the last two laps as Lemon slipped to seventh, and Doolan and Frampton both struggling. Risager got away quickly and was never challenged, leading all the way to win the race itself. Doolan the most unfortunate because he made it to second in the race with some determined riding, but then his machine seemed to misfire - as did Frampton's, who had followed Doolan through to third. Amongst all that, Korneliussen bided his time and picked his way through to get the points he needed to win. In the interview with Kevin Long afterwards, he said he was a bit scared (that's the word he used) when they first lined-up, but actually enjoyed the race once it got going.

Heeps also battled through - and caused a slight concern, but a lot of laughter, after the race when he pulled a wheelie along the home straight, and fell off the back! He jumped up and gave a bow to the crowd :) Amongst the presentations, young Cam was given with a birthday cake (candles alight!), while Taylor Poole was named Young Witcehs Rider of the Season.

Big well done to Poole for having his head shaved - amazing how different he looked. I'm told that the collection has initially raised close on £1k, and the proceeds will be split between the Treehouse Appeal (Ipswich Children's Hospice) and a Breast Cancer charity. I'm sure there will be further donations - some of his shorn hair is probably going to be available for bids at the Dinner Dance on Saturday ...

Photo from last night: http://yfrog.com/nuxtllyaj

Edited by Lovey

I think Heeps did better than most expected during the qualifying races and he finished ahead of some good riders. Can't really judge how fast he is in conditions like those and not on his own bikes but he did well. He can't weight more than 7 stone which got him out of the start a few times.

Thoroughly enjoyed that as always. Was a bit concerned that the main event was going to be rained off though but it all turned out well in the end. Shame they didn’t allow Taylor back into the rerun. Didn’t seem so confusing this year, maybe because the rain slowed it all down a bit or maybe I’m just getting used to it, but I more or less kept up with it this time.

Mads rode a good race, he was at the back for a good half of the race riding at a steady pace but capitalised as others slowed down, in particular Dooley and Frampton. Due to machine problems? Dooley looked knackered to me. Lol! Young Cam Heeps was well in the mix, just a shame it was such a wet night as I don’t think we really saw the real Cam.

Good evening, wet but not cold to round off the season. Back for more egg and chips next year.

Very annoying that the favourite and holder of the title Ben Barker said he was injured and could not take part. He had a scapoid injury. I seem to remember the great Ivan Mauger had this and rode a whole season with this injury. Even more annoying Ben Barker is riding for Plymouth tonight

I can see where you are coming from Mick but look at it the other way round. The 16 lapper is an individual, he is struggling for fitness and it doesnt matter what 'others' did - scaphoid injuries are damn painful and I am amazed he can still ride at all. like Joe Screen this season for Glasgow when he pulled out of a couple of individuals, Ben has obviously put his club first and made sure he can try and ride for them. Personally I think he should be applauded for it but again I do see where you are coming from if you were hoping to see him at Ipswich. Just different ways of looking at it I guess :)

i'd like to know at what time Ben withdrew from the meeting. I travelled from the midlands to see him ride. If the Ipswich web site had anounced he wouldn't be there, I would have stayed home and saved on the fuel. Could this be why it wasn't mentioned?

.......Ben has obviously put his club first and made sure he can try and ride for them. Personally I think he should be applauded for it.......

It will be interesting to see if he demonstrates his commitment to The Devils by trundling up to Cumbria for the double header at Workington (assuming its on!!!) this evening.

I must confess I was non too impressed by his commitment at Berwick earlier in the season, when he withdrew from the meeting because of injury, only to be seen a short while later larking about at a local fairground.

i'd like to know at what time Ben withdrew from the meeting. I travelled from the midlands to see him ride. If the Ipswich web site had anounced he wouldn't be there, I would have stayed home and saved on the fuel. Could this be why it wasn't mentioned?

It has been suggested on the Witches Fans Forum, that Barker's non appearance was known about a few days ago. If this is correct, it was a pity that the information was not passed on to the media.

Certainly Mike Bacon's preview in the EADT on the morning of the meeting gave no suggestion that Barker might be a no show, and I didn't see any update on the website.

I do hope that this isn't the case, as up to now I can only applaud the promotion's transparency and clarity in dealing with the fans. It will be extremely disappointing if at the end of what has been a fantastic season, that they revert to the behaviours all too evident back in "The Dark Days".

It will be interesting to see if he demonstrates his commitment to The Devils by trundling up to Cumbria for the double header at Workington (assuming its on!!!) this evening.

very valid point Mr S especially given the 'team' Plymouth turned up with at Workington earlier in the season! Plenty of discussion about it as well with Worky fans saying he wont be there. Of course he could claim that he aggrevated his injury during last nights meeting where he scored a max. Much as its not palletable to the rest of us he could also feel he doesnt have the same duty to away fans as to home ones (although the way he was with those who travelled to Glasgow suggests differently?)

Or of course he could turn up ready to race.

Time will tell - personally I hope its the last option as he has really gone up in my estimation over the last couple of seasons

After some discussion on the Witches Fans Forum, it appears almost certain now that Barker's withdrawal was made on the day of the meeting. No one knows when, but we do know the line up on the website was amended, mid afternoon, to reflect the change. It would have been great had a paragraph been added to the website preview to highlight the change, but at least some effort was made. 

What is surprising is that no one on any of the Forums picked up on this change. No mention on here or on the Fans Forum, and the first mention on "Live Updates" was at 19:44.

Giving the timing of Barker's withdrawal it was without doubt too late to be included in Mike Bacon's piece in the EADT. However apart from his journalist expertise, Mike is a prolific tweeter. Despite a number of tweets during the day, his first tweet about Barker's absence was just as the meeting was about to start. Again it would have been nice had the Press Officer told Mike, who could have then updated his followers. 

On the evening of the meeting I was listening to BBC Radio Suffolk. I think virtually everyone would agree that the station is a good friend to Ipswich Speedway. It was the case on Thursday, when the 16 Lapper was giving great prominence on the 17:30 sports news. It was followed by a recorded interview with CL, and then 5 minutes later Pete Simmons was live on air with Foz. 

Graeme Mac's piece on the news bulletin stated "......several Witches are in the field, with last year's winner, Ben Barker, defending his title.......". Remember this was on the bulletin that was broadcast live just after 5:30pm. Again it appears to be a pity that the Press Officer failed to contact the local radio station, to prevent them from providing mis leading information. 

With Pete Simmons live in the studio it was a pity that he didn't take the opportunity to correct the information given. However it may be that despite being in the studio, he didn't hear the bulletin, so was not in a position to correct it. 

On balance I don't believe that this was a malicious attempt at surpressing information, but perhaps illustrates areas in which communication could be improved. As with most organisations they are only as good as their weakest link!!!