British Speedway Forum

Fairly new to the sport, first full season.

Apart from the obvious (races over 16 laps?) can anyone give me an idea of format/who's riding etc of this event at Ipswich during the half term holiday and wether its worth an hours drive for me and my soon to be 6 year old son.

Many thanks all.

Fairly new to the sport, first full season.

Apart from the obvious (races over 16 laps?) can anyone give me an idea of format/who's riding etc of this event at Ipswich during the half term holiday and wether its worth an hours drive for me and my soon to be 6 year old son.

Many thanks all.

The '16 lapper' is always a good event. It consists of 12 riders who, initially, contest an open meeting over 16 heats. The four lower finishers have their own race-off. The rest go into an eight-rider final over 16 laps. The riders finishing 5th to 8th start from the gate whilst 1st to 4th go from a 15 metre handicap. All these riders bring forward their points attained from the qualifying rounds plus the riders handicapped receive additional bonus points to add to their final tally. I am not a regular visitor to Foxhall Heath but I recommend and try to attend everyone of these.

I'd add that the 4 lowest point scorers after the qualifying heats contest the consolation final over 6 laps rather than the normal 4.

The final featuring 8 riders, 4 on the front grid and 4 on the back grid, all hurtling towards the first bend together is always a sight to behold and its a terrific event.

With it being so close to Halloween too, it will be a Halloween theme so get the kids kitted out in costume as there are prizes for the best ones.

More details will be released nearer to the event including the rider line up. One rider we know who is definitely in the field is Cameron Heeps and i know an awful lot of people are looking forward to seeing the youngster tackle a Premier league strength line up around Foxhall.

Cheers guys, will see if I can get the Mrs to go along too! Hope the weather stays good.

I've never been to the Sixteen Lapper but one thing puzzles me. During a normal meeting if a race is stopped for a false start or a fall on the first bend all the riders toddle off back to the pits to fill up with fuel, adjust the clutch or generally mess about so how on earth does a speedway bike last for 16 laps? Is a bigger fuel tank fitted especially for this meeting?

I've never been to the Sixteen Lapper but one thing puzzles me. During a normal meeting if a race is stopped for a false start or a fall on the first bend all the riders toddle off back to the pits to fill up with fuel, adjust the clutch or generally mess about so how on earth does a speedway bike last for 16 laps? Is a bigger fuel tank fitted especially for this meeting?

sometimes lol!!!

They fix bigger fuel tanks to the bike. There are 12 riders taking part Top 8 go to the 16 lap final. If the race is stopped before 8 laps it's rerun with 16 laps again. The bottom 4 riders race off in a consolation race over 6 heats.

In the final the lowest 4 riders start off the front gate and the top 4 riders start off the 15 metre gate. All riders carry forward the scores from the earlier heat but the back 4 get an extra 2 points. There are points awarded to what position you finish in the 16 lapper. On a few occasions the winner of the 16 lapper does not win the meeting as it goes off the highest point scorer.

Edited by mickthemuppet

Hope the ref's not either of the women , they cant kepp an eye on four riders over four laps !!

we have 12 starters now confirmed on Ipswichwitches.co website:

Ben Barker

Cameron Heeps

Carl Wilkinson :shock:

Jerran Hart

Kev Doolan

Mat Tressarieu

Morten Risager

Mark Lemon

Mads Korneliussen

Nick Morris

Taylor Poole

all info here:

http://ipswichwitches.co/index.php/news-centre/337-season-finale-to-be-a-haunting-classic

Hope the ref's not either of the women , they cant kepp an eye on four riders over four laps !!

Too busy yacking about shoes probably.

Yes bigger tanks are fitted for these. The new tanks probably only do about 6 laps so wouldn't be big enough. If you ever saw the amazing 16 lapper from 1984 on TV with John Cook and Phil Crump you may remember Cookie talking about getting his "dead man leash caught around the reservoir oil jug" :lol: as in those days of total loss oil systems they also had to fit an extra oil feed so as not to seize the engine.

The meeting is on you tube somewhere, uploaded by speedwayondisc. I recommend anyone to go and watch it. The final is a belter. :)

Yes bigger tanks are fitted for these. The new tanks probably only do about 6 laps so wouldn't be big enough. If you ever saw the amazing 16 lapper from 1984 on TV with John Cook and Phil Crump you may remember Cookie talking about getting his "dead man leash caught around the reservoir oil jug" :lol: as in those days of total loss oil systems they also had to fit an extra oil feed so as not to seize the engine.

The meeting is on you tube somewhere, uploaded by speedwayondisc. I recommend anyone to go and watch it. The final is a belter. :)

we have 12 starters now confirmed on Ipswichwitches.co website:

Ben Barker

Cameron Heeps

Carl Wilkinson :shock:

Jerran Hart

Kev Doolan

Mat Tressarieu

Morten Risager

Mark Lemon

Mads Korneliussen

Nick Morris

Taylor Poole

all info here:

http://ipswichwitches.co/index.php/news-centre/337-season-finale-to-be-a-haunting-classic

I make that 11 Badge :wink:

The inclusion of Nick Morris will add fuel to the fire.........

I make that 11 Badge :wink:

The inclusion of Nick Morris will add fuel to the fire.........

:oops: you are right CS, obviously one more rider to announce :P

Anyone know roughly how long this meeting will last? Is it the same as a normal speedway meeting or longer?

It depends on the final really, if all goes smoothly then that's ok, but we often get re-starts!!!