British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

No different to F1 or many other sports, not just the motorised variety.

Completely different to F1 in that the drivers actually make (a very decent) living in the competition, rather than having to race in national series to do so. In addition, whilst the Bernie Ecclestone-run companies take a very sizeable cut of the profits, both the FIA and the teams are still making millions and millions which is quite different to what FIM is getting out of their relationship with IMG.

Can you confirm whether they apply to the FIM for the income?

I'd guess the SVEMO income is derived from the profits made by their hosting of one or both GPs. Very nice for the Swedes if they can make their GP(s) pay, but what the other speedway countries that don't host one? For that matter, how much are the Italians and Croatians benefiting, or the Latvians and Slovenians before them? :unsure:

I'd guess the SVEMO income is derived from the profits made by their hosting of one or both GPs. Very nice for the Swedes if they can make their GP(s) pay, but what the other speedway countries that don't host one? For that matter, how much are the Italians and Croatians benefiting, or the Latvians and Slovenians before them? :unsure:

Guess there must have been some benefit or they wouldn't have hosted it or wanted to host it.All down to the local promoter how well it goes to an extent.Seems in Latvia things went wrong.Is that a surprise?

The thing is you say others could have done the same job that BSI/IMG have done.The fact is they had years and years of chances and never did....Always easy afterwards to say "I could have done that".Turn back time and i could paint Guernica,start a social network or even see what a great idea 4 guys racing around a dirt track oval on motorbikes would be....No-one wanted to take a risk and i rather think the FIM were all too happy to get some money for a sport they hardly care for......and their officials get to go to some big cities for a weekend rather than Norden :blink::party::drink:

Completely different to F1 in that the drivers actually make (a very decent) living in the competition, rather than having to race in national series to do so. In addition, whilst the Bernie Ecclestone-run companies take a very sizeable cut of the profits, both the FIA and the teams are still making millions and millions which is quite different to what FIM is getting out of their relationship with IMG.

I WAS referring to how they decide their World Championships ... i.e. over a series rather than a single event.

If there were millions and millions to be made out of speedway no doubt the FIM would plunder a bigger share of the spoils. But, as said here before, my understanding is that speedway is the second biggest contributor to the FIM coffers.

YOU cannot judge rider income generated through the SGP by prize money alone.

Who said i could?, but if the trend of declining rider interest continues, then the riders themselves are showing you what the answer is.

F1 drivers get paid by the teams to compete or buy a ride, but by and large speedway riders are self employed and have to make money, as the clubs across Europe seem less inclined to stump up apart from a select few the days of free junkets for the FIM/BSI on the backs of riders paid peanuts looks like it might be ending.

The FIM are very happy no doubt with BSI, all year round junkets at 5 star hotels for free, whole floors booked out, fine banquets and free travel to europe's capitals at someone else's penny. Edited by Dekker

Surely if the Grand Prix riders received thier fair share of the cake, then there would be no problems. The GP riders are massively underpaid - the prize money is a joke.

That's why riders are putting Poland first. Even British Speedway pays better than the GPs.

All the best

Rob

The thing is you say others could have done the same job that BSI/IMG have done.The fact is they had years and years of chances and never did....Always easy afterwards to say "I could have done that".Turn back time and i could paint Guernica,start a social network or even see what a great idea 4 guys racing around a dirt track oval on motorbikes would be...

I don't really think it's comparable to coming-up with the 'next big thing'. Speedway was already well established, crowds weren't as bad as frequently claimed, and the idea of a GP series wasn't anything new. Indeed the GP series was actually in existence for four or five years before BSI got involved.

The GP would undoubtedly have happened earlier if the BSPA had been less blinkered, the Poles hadn't been stuck behind the Iron Curtain for years, and if satellite/cable television had been around. Whilst I think Ole Olsen/John Postlethwaite deserve some acknowledgement for actually doing something before anyone else, they didn't do anything particularly clever or innovative, and probably only managed it because of the growing weakness of the BSPA and insularity of the Polish League in that period.

Yes, I'd accept there was some financial risk involved in buying into the SGP, but much of the finance seems to have been put-up by Postlethwaite's mates, and the deal with the FIM doesn't appear to have carried massive risk either.

With respect to the television and sponsorship deals. I'd have thought that bread-and-butter to any half-competent commercial person who's been around the block. Satellite and cable television was desperate for cheap and easy to produce content around that time, and Sky didn't pay much compared to what they pay for football, cricket and rugby league.

I would credit BSI for making their events look a bit more professional compared to other speedway events, but let's be honest, the bar wasn't set very high. :rolleyes: And I still remember one GP where BSI's idea of pre-meeting entertainment was some young boy playing an accordian dressed in lederhosen... ;)

The FIM are very happy no doubt with BSI, all year round junkets at 5 star hotels for free, whole floors booked out, fine banquets and free travel to europe's capitals at someone else's penny.

Sure there is a long queue outside FIM HQ trying to get the NZ gig.And i can just imagine all the applications for Argentina!!!!! And the amount of online spanish lessons being taken now....Hey Muchachos,where the women at? Oh mines a large one.....Baby you are hotter than an enchilada.....Would you like to tango in my room?.... :lol:

I would credit BSI for making their events look a bit more professional compared to other speedway events, but let's be honest, the bar wasn't set very high. :rolleyes: And I still remember one GP where BSI's idea of pre-meeting entertainment was some young boy playing an accordian dressed in lederhosen... ;)

Damn i missed that.Been years since i have seen anything that good.Been years since i have seen any South Americans playing pan pipe music as well.Where have all the accordian and pan pipe players gone i wondered.......IMG have cornered the market :drink:

The FIM are very happy no doubt with BSI, all year round junkets at 5 star hotels for free, whole floors booked out, fine banquets and free travel to europe's capitals at someone else's penny.

And i bet the speedway press quite enjoy these jaunts around Europe in these hotels every couple of weeks as well

No wonder they like it to

SO its just the riders and the fans who are being ripped off then. OK, as long as we understand who the important are in all this :rolleyes:

Certainly the Swedish Grand Prix at Ullevi does not pay. It has lost money for the last three years and the attendance has gone down each year. One of the main reasons it does not draw the Swedish people in is it is a non Speedway city. Yet is is a great stadium and city for Speedway.

Certainly the Swedish Grand Prix at Ullevi does not pay. It has lost money for the last three years and the attendance has gone down each year. One of the main reasons it does not draw the Swedish people in is it is a non Speedway city. Yet is is a great stadium and city for Speedway.

So Göteborg is a non speedway city? I appreciate that Kaparna haven't run since 2008, but does this really make it a non speedway city?

I would certainly argue that it is far more stepped in speedway tradition than Auckland, Terenzano, or indeed Cardiff Apart from the one off world finals that have been held in the city, league speedway operated in the city for over 50 years. I can't remember too many league teams operating out of Cardiff!!

So a rather strange post.......but it is a Muppet post......so no change there then!!!!!

So, up to 5 wildcards per GP !

Riders prefer lucrative league bookings over GPs

Time to isolate the GP from the World Championship, and bring back a proper, one-off, World Championship event each season

No reason why we can't have a World Champion alongside the GP Champion - is there ?

Be great if we could,the underdog will then be able to take his chance.No reason why not.

WHAT utter tosh. BSI/IMG pay a considerable sum of money to the FIM (putting money back into the sport) that they wouldn't otherwise have, SVEMO use their income from GPs to benefit youth speedway, likewise the DMU.

We live in a commercial world. Do FIFA not make money out of the World Cup? Your argument should be about what happens to the money the FIM receive.

We do have a proper World Championship but you just can't see it.

Youve seen both sides of it,gps isnt everyones cup of tea one off finals never failed in my eyes anyway.people always harp on about one off finals unfair ect.Watched one gp this year think Crump had 5 wins then he got unlucky in the semi was out.That shows there are things wrong with the gps.

Like that great speedway city of Cardiff :rofl: .