British Speedway Forum
stratton

Wimbledon Second Halfers And Number Sevens.?

Going back since i first started going who were the second halfers at Wimbledon in the Mirac years 1968 onwards.Was Tebby, Everett in the side regular? i know Jim was.My memories are of Rob Jones,Shilletto,Brewer,Knowler, Kelvin, Moggo,Cameron,PJohns (ect).

Jim had been a regular in the side for many years. Gary Everett established himself at reserve in 1969, with Peter Murray as standby. Over the next few years, we experimented with Roland Duke, Rocky Coutts etc, as well as Rob Jones, who got shipped off to Canterbury almost immediately. The first real discovery of the 70's was Paul Dowdall, who famously beat Eric Boocock in a second-half race in 1974.

In 1976, we tried Brendan Shilleto and Ian Williams, and the following year (I think), Brian Canning. I remember going to Ipswich (around 1981 or 82, perhaps) when we were short-handed, and had Graham Knowler and Alan Johns riding at 1 and 2! Peter Johns made a brief impression during the BL era before becoming a regular for a season or so in the NL.

Moggo came to us in 1981, and then established himself with Crayford, although making a few appearances for us. I was at Kelvin's first meeting, and of course, once he got in, that was it!

Steve

• Like 1

And not forgetting Dave Brewer, Ray Griffiths, Phil Vance...

That's right, Tony. Although all three picked up NL experience (Ray with Canterbury, and Dave and Phil with Exeter), Brewer was the one who looked most likely. Of course, we also had Jay Pleece who looked handy, but never really developed.

Steve

That's right, Tony. Although all three picked up NL experience (Ray with Canterbury, and Dave and Phil with Exeter), Brewer was the one who looked most likely. Of course, we also had Jay Pleece who looked handy, but never really developed.

Steve

I wondered if the unlucky Graham Miles rode a few times? or maybe Canterbury,s Graeme Smith?

I wondered if the unlucky Graham Miles rode a few times? or maybe Canterbury,s Graeme Smith?

I don't recall either from Plough Lane.

Steve

I don't recall either from Plough Lane.

Steve

You are right Chunky my memory playing tricks getting old both rode for Hackney..I was surprised when looking about Stan Stevens how many clubs did that guy ride? for loads.Rode 1 match for the dons in 1972 in a long career.

Gordon Kennett rode in some second halves though when he was starting out.We did have once or twice a year the boys from the Kent Grass Track club up for demo races.Was quite a close relationship with the Kent Grass trackers.Wonder if that club is still going?But think a lot of good kids started there

At junior grasstrack racing's height in Kent there were two junior grasstrack clubs operating. Both produced a stream of young talent that went onto achieve speedway team places and, ultimately, success on the shale.

Those two junior clubs were KYMC and KYGTRA.

Seems to be a lack of grasstrack riders coming through to shale now. Followed The Dons in 66/67, can remember Nygren, Hedge, Luckhurst, Cowland who else rode in those seasons?

You are right Chunky my memory playing tricks getting old both rode for Hackney..I was surprised when looking about Stan Stevens how many clubs did that guy ride? for loads.Rode 1 match for the dons in 1972 in a long career.

I think he rode for New Cross in the last race ever in 1963, I was there, a 7-years-old Rangers fan. Onto Wimbledon after that, then Swindon 68 onwards.

I think he rode for New Cross in the last race ever in 1963, I was there, a 7-years-old Rangers fan. Onto Wimbledon after that, then Swindon 68 onwards.

Think you may be getting confused. Stan Stevens didn't ride for Swindon, and only rode one match for the Dons in 1972. He was best known for his spells at West Ham (1964-65, 1967-72), and rode for several other clubs on a short-term basis.

Steve

Think you may be getting confused. Stan Stevens didn't ride for Swindon, and only rode one match for the Dons in 1972. He was best known for his spells at West Ham (1964-65, 1967-72), and rode for several other clubs on a short-term basis.

Steve

Think you are getting confused Steve.If i read that right keef is talking about himself ;)

Think you are getting confused Steve.If i read that right keef is talking about himself ;)

Correct iris

Oops... :oops:

Anyone remember Mike Wells - a second halfer??