British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

Thought I'd start a thread for next season as a lot are starting from other teams and the Sheffield faithful seem very quiet.

I'd like to see

1 Ricky Ashworth

2 M Palm Toft

3 Bjerre

4 Skiddy

5 Wells

6 Haines

7 Sarjent

Ashworth's year away has proved to the people who doubted him that he is a true number 1. But I feel he has enjoyed it at Berwick this season and probably would like to stay there, if so Auty if he fancied a return because he's worth the entry fee alone or Nick Morris would be my other choice.

2 Palm Toft goes well round Sheffield and is becoming another Auty with exciting over takes and never gives up. If not Richie Worrall or Bellego.

3 Bjerre again goes well round Sheffield and a true heat leader who should challenge for the no 1 jacket and would score well away. If not any from Summers, Alden, Doolan, Masters all would score good home and away.

4 Skiddy has ridden as a heat leader for most of this season and although he has the occasional bad meeting he is still very young. Instead of waiting for him to become a heat leader, running at 4 could make him step up.

5 Ricky Wells took a while to get going but is a real heat leader and is only just 21. Has provided some of the most exciting speedway at Sheffield this season and scores well away. Can only get better.

6 Joe Haines after watching him at the start of the season I didn't think he was gonna be very good, how he proved me wrong. By far Sheffield rider of the year. Massive scores at home and some good scores away.

7 James Sarjent I know he has had a few Premier rides and hasn't scored to well but at the under 19 Championship his use of the track was amazing for such a young lad. Put him in the team and give him the back up from the older riders and make him feel like a part of the team and he should easily add to his average.

Young exciting team, with plenty that can entertain and score home and away. With Joe and Toft averages not to far apart they could spend the season swapping between reserve and the no 2 spot.

At current averages this team fits

• Like 1

We've started early this year.

I know for a fact that Simon Lambert wants to be back at Sheffield, and it seems the fans want him back - hint hint management?

Chris Schramm is another crowd pleaser, who gives 110% - get him back too!

Joe Haines has shown some fantastic form recently and could add another 2 points to his average next year.

Hugh Skidmore needs to go somewhere else. He's going stale and needs a new track to freshen him up.

We could go something like:

1. Lasse Bjerre

2. Joe Haines

3. Josh Grajczonek

4. Michael Palm Toft

5. Ricky Wells

6. Chris Schramm

7. Simon Lambert

But we're more likely to have:

1. Andre Compton

2. Peter Boast

3. Robbie Kessler

4. Steve Knott

5. Scott Smith

6. James Birkinshaw

7. Shane Colvin

• Like 2

I know for a fact that Simon Lambert wants to be back at Sheffield, and it seems I want him back - hint hint management?

Edited for accuracy.

• Like 2

Thought I'd start a thread for next season as a lot are starting from other teams and the Sheffield faithful seem very quiet.

I'd like to see

1 Ricky Ashworth

2 M Palm Toft

3 Bjerre

4 Skiddy

5 Wells

6 Haines

7 Sarjent

Ashworth's year away has proved to the people who doubted him that he is a true number 1. But I feel he has enjoyed it at Berwick this season and probably would like to stay there, if so Auty if he fancied a return because he's worth the entry fee alone or Nick Morris would be my other choice.

2 Palm Toft goes well round Sheffield and is becoming another Auty with exciting over takes and never gives up. If not Richie Worrall or Bellego.

3 Bjerre again goes well round Sheffield and a true heat leader who should challenge for the no 1 jacket and would score well away. If not any from Summers, Alden, Doolan, Masters all would score good home and away.

4 Skiddy has ridden as a heat leader for most of this season and although he has the occasional bad meeting he is still very young. Instead of waiting for him to become a heat leader, running at 4 could make him step up.

5 Ricky Wells took a while to get going but is a real heat leader and is only just 21. Has provided some of the most exciting speedway at Sheffield this season and scores well away. Can only get better.

6 Joe Haines after watching him at the start of the season I didn't think he was gonna be very good, how he proved me wrong. By far Sheffield rider of the year. Massive scores at home and some good scores away.

7 James Sarjent I know he has had a few Premier rides and hasn't scored to well but at the under 19 Championship his use of the track was amazing for such a young lad. Put him in the team and give him the back up from the older riders and make him feel like a part of the team and he should easily add to his average.

Young exciting team, with plenty that can entertain and score home and away. With Joe and Toft averages not to far apart they could spend the season swapping between reserve and the no 2 spot.

Forgot to mention James Sarjeant is a Sheffield lad. So gives us someone local to support.

No chance that Ashworth is coming back, if Berwick run next year he is there

how is Skiddy becoming stale when he puts his average up every season?

No chance that Ashworth is coming back, if Berwick run next year he is there

how is Skiddy becoming stale when he puts his average up every season?

That means he will be at Berwick then (If they want him) :wink:

• Like 2

No mention of Steady ?

He'd be the first name on my team sheet.

Stead would be a dream signing for Sheffield. Doubt he'd drop down, but he'd certainly get a fair coming back to Owlerton.

Big improvement needed next year and a change of direction. I'd take Ashworth back if he can agree terms alongside Skidmore and Lambert would be a better addition than most of the team this year. Can't see Auty back now he is elite league quality and not an asset so be unlikely to see him in Tigers colours. Like Complin to be given a chance as well but can't see that happening either.

Guest WTF1

I'd like to see

1 Ricky Ashworth

2 M Palm Toft

3 Bjerre

4 Skiddy

5 Wells

6 Haines

7 Sarjent

Hands off Michael Palm Toft, maybe the Sheffield management should get off their butts and run a National League side where they can produce riders for the future rather than poaching everyone else's.

The Promotion has a lot of thinking to do for next and I think that the team needs major surgery.

My assessment of the rider this season who should stay or go are.

Pepe Franc; Misses far too many meetings riding on the continent, and far to inconsistent at home (Release)

Hugh Skidmore; Not got any better, not got any worse in his time at Sheffield. I think for him to get any better he needs a move (Release)

Emiliano Sanchez; I do see him getting any better, and think it time to say thank you and good-bye. (Release)

Richard Hall; This was chance to shine, and I am afraid too many times failed away from home, and I don't think he was to convincing at Sheffield (Release)

Ricky Wells; At times frustrated the Sheffield crowd with his great performances for The Wolves but poor when riding for Sheffield, but he did start to show some good form at the end of the season and he was our best performer away (Retain)

Joe Haines; Start little bit slow, but after the Under 21 win really started to pile up the points and slowly starting to get back to his best, he is not quite there yet but certainly deserves another crack. (Retain)

Chris Schramm; Love his effort and desire for the club, but his average could be a stumbling block. The heart says retain but the head release (Release with a heavy heart).

That would be only two riders retained, and I think we now have to look for a rider who will lead the team, someone understand the fans and maybe capture the crowds imagination.

I cannot see Ricky Ashworth returning to Sheffield so soon I think he will go back to Berwick.

Of three names that spring to mind that could be a possibility.

Simon Stead, local lad who I think could do a similar job to the one that Sean Wilson did when he came back to the club.

or

Joe Screen, depending what happens at Glasgow, anyone who takes over at Glasgow might decide to release Big Joe.

or

Ty Proctor, not had a great season at Wolves and might decide that a doubling up role might just suit him.

The second heatleader role

I would pick out from

Josh Grajczonek.

or

Rene Bach.

Ricky Wells would be third heatleader.

2nd Strings

Joe Haines to occupy one of those positions

And the other I would look to see what Scunthorpe do, I think that they might have to release either Birks or Palm Toft, either one of those I would take.either one of those two.

Reserves

Simon Lambert's average reduced and proven at that level for Sheffield.

And then I would go for local lad James Sarjeant, he has had some decent performances Guesting at Premier League this season, and rides the smaller tracks well.

So my team would be.

(1) Stead/ Screen/ Proctor

(2) Haines

(3) Wells

(4) Palm Toft/ Birks

(5) Grajczonek/ Bach

(6) Lambert

(7) Sarjeant

A mixture of youth and experience with some local lads.

Hands off Michael Palm Toft, maybe the Sheffield management should get off their butts and run a National League side where they can produce riders for the future rather than poaching everyone else's.

Of course Palm Toft is a product of the National League.

Scunthorpe don't exactly have a track record for using those National League produced riders.

Guest WTF1

The Promotion has a lot of thinking to do for next and I think that the team needs major surgery.

My assessment of the rider this season who should stay or go are.

Pepe Franc; Misses far too many meetings riding on the continent, and far to inconsistent at home (Release)

Hugh Skidmore; Not got any better, not got any worse in his time at Sheffield. I think for him to get any better he needs a move (Release)

Emiliano Sanchez; I do see him getting any better, and think it time to say thank you and good-bye. (Release)

Richard Hall; This was chance to shine, and I am afraid too many times failed away from home, and I don't think he was to convincing at Sheffield (Release)

Ricky Wells; At times frustrated the Sheffield crowd with his great performances for The Wolves but poor when riding for Sheffield, but he did start to show some good form at the end of the season and he was our best performer away (Retain)

Joe Haines; Start little bit slow, but after the Under 21 win really started to pile up the points and slowly starting to get back to his best, he is not quite there yet but certainly deserves another crack. (Retain)

Chris Schramm; Love his effort and desire for the club, but his average could be a stumbling block. The heart says retain but the head release (Release with a heavy heart).

That would be only two riders retained, and I think we now have to look for a rider who will lead the team, someone understand the fans and maybe capture the crowds imagination.

I cannot see Ricky Ashworth returning to Sheffield so soon I think he will go back to Berwick.

Of three names that spring to mind that could be a possibility.

Simon Stead, local lad who I think could do a similar job to the one that Sean Wilson did when he came back to the club.

or

Joe Screen, depending what happens at Glasgow, anyone who takes over at Glasgow might decide to release Big Joe.

or

Ty Proctor, not had a great season at Wolves and might decide that a doubling up role might just suit him.

The second heatleader role

I would pick out from

Josh Grajczonek.

or

Rene Bach.

Ricky Wells would be third heatleader.

2nd Strings

Joe Haines to occupy one of those positions

And the other I would look to see what Scunthorpe do, I think that they might have to release either Birks or Palm Toft, either one of those I would take.either one of those two.

Reserves

Simon Lambert's average reduced and proven at that level for Sheffield.

And then I would go for local lad James Sarjeant, he has had some decent performances Guesting at Premier League this season, and rides the smaller tracks well.

So my team would be.

(1) Stead/ Screen/ Proctor

(2) Haines

(3) Wells

(4) Palm Toft/ Birks

(5) Grajczonek/ Bach

(6) Lambert

(7) Sarjeant

A mixture of youth and experience with some local lads.

Of course Palm Toft is a product of the National League.

Scunthorpe don't exactly have a track record for using those National League produced riders.

Where does it say in my post that Palm Toft is a product of the National League

Aren't Gary Irving/ Ashley Birks National League riders ,Josh Auty a former Conference League rider

the Worrall brothers produced by Scunny, Stefan Nielsen probably next, now let's see who the Sheffield Poachers

have introduced , hmm yep nobody.

Where does it say in my post that Palm Toft is a product of the National League

Aren't Gary Irving/ Ashley Birks National League riders ,Josh Auty a former Conference League rider

the Worrall brothers produced by Scunny, Stefan Nielsen probably next, now let's see who the Sheffield Poachers

have introduced , hmm yep nobody.

Ricky Ashworth, Rory Schlein, James Birkenshaw, Lee Complin, Richard Hall, Andrew Moore, Paul Cooper, Ben Wilson, Richie Hawkins, Adam Allott,

I would say that they have produced a few riders in previous seasons...

• Like 2