British Speedway Forum
TheReturn

Referee Just Bottled Semi Decision

FEEL better for that?

Needs to be said Phil.

Awful, pathetic piece of refereeing. Surprised if he could look at himself in the mirror the morning after. He must have needed a change of underwear when back at the hotel as well as the occasion was much to big for him. Ackroyd looks a weak and timid character and his decision proves it.

Appreciate you won't criticise him as your part of the old boys network and probably travel with the lad to GP's, but your argument about being fair and calling for all four as it would be unfair for Holder says it all about the sport and the attitude of some.

PERHAPS it is you who should be looking in a mirror? Easy to throw such views and words around on here, most of which are totally distorted, and knowing full well that Craig Ackroyd cannot defend himself.

I don't travel with him but I can tell you that is neither weak nor timid and certainly didn't need a change of underwear as you so eloquently put it. If the incident was as clear cut as many of here believe then you can argue that the harder decision was the one he made.

Not quite sure what is this old boys' network you are talking about and if I had thought Craig was wrong would have said so. But I don't and haven't.

• Like 1

PERHAPS it is you who should be looking in a mirror? Easy to throw such views and words around on here, most of which are totally distorted, and knowing full well that Craig Ackroyd cannot defend himself.

I don't travel with him but I can tell you that is neither weak nor timid and certainly didn't need a change of underwear as you so eloquently put it. If the incident was as clear cut as many of here believe then you can argue that the harder decision was the one he made.

Not quite sure what is this old boys' network you are talking about and if I had thought Craig was wrong would have said so. But I don't and haven't.

We all know that you are fair and impartial Phil,as is Craig Ackroyd and he made a decision that was,in his opinion and judgement, fair and impartial which you like many also thought was fair and impartial.

The fact that some on here feel that it was the wrong decision just illustrates what a tough job refereeing is,as it is in most other sports.

We all know that you are fair and impartial Phil,

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::rofl:

• Like 1

We all know that you are fair and impartial Phil,as is Craig Ackroyd and he made a decision that was,in his opinion and judgement, fair and impartial which you like many also thought was fair and impartial.

The fact that some on here feel that it was the wrong decision just illustrates what a tough job refereeing is,as it is in most other sports.

QUITE right...

At the end of the day, Holder himself thought he was lucky to get all four back, which tells us that he expected to be excluded.... He didn't, he won and is world champ, good luck to him least he was man enough to say it....you need skill, determination,good equipment and a bit of luck to succeed after all....so maybe he'd earned it. :)

• Like 1

At the end of the day, Holder himself thought he was lucky to get all four back, which tells us that he expected to be excluded.... He didn't, he won and is world champ, good luck to him least he was man enough to say it....you need skill, determination,good equipment and a bit of luck to succeed after all....so maybe he'd earned it. :)

He was lucky in that instance, but it is all part of professional sport, makes it all the more dramatic, I thought the whole GP was superb

• Like 1

As others have said Holder earned it over tthe GP series,100% deserves all the credit coming his way when it didnt start off good in NZ.Seems a very down to earth person when speaking on sky and comes over really well,even putting himself down at times(why cant the Aussie cricket team be like that!!)

My final word to Phil is did he watch the interview on sky and does he still stick with all 4 back?Would you Phil admit it was such a bad call if Holder himself says he was lucky? Would you ever change your mind on this?

Did Chris say he was lucky it was all four back because he deserved to go? Or could he have meant that referees often exclude a rider in that type of incident?

• Like 3

Did Chris say he was lucky it was all four back because he deserved to go? Or could he have meant that referees often exclude a rider in that type of incident?

:)

WOULDN'T argue that Holder was lucky but that is not the same as saying Craig Ackroyd was wrong. Lucky in as much as many other referees might have called it differently. But then many would say that he would have been unlucky had he been excluded.

What this thread illustrates perfectly is that different people see the same incident differently from others. I fully understand and respect that, although there are many positing who don't accept that some people hold a different view to their own.

Ackroyd had absolutely no doubt about his decision. He called it as he saw it. He is an honest man and doesn't deserve to be castigated, especially when there are plenty who would have done the same.

• Like 1

WOULDN'T argue that Holder was lucky but that is not the same as saying Craig Ackroyd was wrong. Lucky in as much as many other referees might have called it differently. But then many would say that he would have been unlucky had he been excluded.

What this thread illustrates perfectly is that different people see the same incident differently from others. I fully understand and respect that, although there are many positing who don't accept that some people hold a different view to their own.

Ackroyd had absolutely no doubt about his decision. He called it as he saw it. He is an honest man and doesn't deserve to be castigated, especially when there are plenty who would have done the same.

Agree Phil, all credible and valid points but there many refs i,m willing to bet would see it differently and as long as there is respect for other peoples point of view then all is well.

Probably a major failing of posters on here (me included) to consider other peoples thoughts and opinions.....och well. :neutral:

Yes, over here it is. But as others have said, not so much on the continent where a rider is more often than not excluded for a first bend incident. How often have the non-Brit refs kept all four in for instance. That's one of the reasons the Polish ref is slagged off on here for throwing a rider out in a first bend crash and some of us think it should be all 4 back.

Yes, I'm aware the ref is always rig has to make the call and what he says goes but isn't that what a forum is for, to debate things like this?

Agree, it's for debate, but there has been no new material for pages now! It's ok to follow for a laugh but that's about it.

Yes that's what's been brought up before. Often a rider waits nervously as the call can go either way. Both Nicki and Chris wanted the call to go thier way. Nicki thought he was unlucky that it was all 4 back, Chris thought he was lucky. That's speedway, it can go either way. (Now how do people usual end these post's.... oh yes, ......end of...... simples.....these are the facts.

Henry

I completely agree! Nikki would have still struggled to make the final and if he did very unlikely to get better than 3rd, he never looked quick all night!

Lisa

Never have I said Nikki is an Angel, but as you no doubt watched it you could see Nikki chatting to Chris, then being pushed by somebody then it all started.

Watch it again, Nicki was the one who started the pushing...

I thought Nikki pushed first!?

Yeah he did!!

Yes that's what's been brought up before. Often a rider waits nervously as the call can go either way. Both Nicki and Chris wanted the call to go thier way. Nicki thought he was unlucky that it was all 4 back, Chris thought he was lucky. That's speedway, it can go either way. (Now how do people usual end these post's.... oh yes, ......end of...... simples.....these are the facts.

Que?

i was looking for clarity.