British Speedway Forum
Paul

Kent 2013

Would it be possible to change the title of this thread to Kent Speedway 2013 as this venture does not own the name Sittingbourne as this is owned by the setup at Iwade and it's unfair on them.

I have known the guys at Iwade for years and the great work they do for the sport but Kent is a new venture and to avoid confusion should be referred to as Kent.

If you have ideas for a nickname for the new club, let us know.

Thank you for the post Nikko, and yes the post should be altered to Kent Speedway 2013, representing the Sittingbourne Club on this forum as I do

it is a positive move for Speedway in Kent and we do welcome the introduction of League racing to Central Park, this includes Graham Arnold to some peoples surprise no doubt. Once again I must state the name Sittingbourne is legally owned by the Iwade Club, hence Roger Cearns is using the name Kent and He has no problem with that. From my personal point of view I would wish the new side not to use the nickname 'Crusaders' as this is a new venture. Many years ago we asked Lionel Hoskins permission to use the name which he consented too and still use it to this day. As for the racejacket the Kent emblem is in fact a Rampant White Stallion on a Red background and the area is steeped in history of the Battle of Britain so ' Spitfires' is my choice with a chance tie up of Sponsorship from Kents oldest Brewery Shepherd Neame. They are based in Faversham, like sponsoring Family orientated sport and produce the famous Spitfire ale.

A continuing photo album of Central Park Stadium under construction for Speedway can be found at WWW.ESSEXSPORTSAGENCY.COM

As Rye promoter Len Silver explains, "This is a better opportunity for far more meetings for our riders, who will make better progress as a result. We will still stage a few meetings with them at Hoddesdon during the season on dates when our senior team are racing away from home at Workington and Berwick.

“It was always difficult to fit in all the league commitments, and this plan provides the best of both worlds, with our riders getting better training and not quite such a hectic programme at Hoddesdon."

In other words....."ive just saved about 10k running an NL team out of Hoddesdon.Kent can have it!!!" :wink:

• Like 1

kent kestrels sounds like a decent name to me. it would provide a link to one of the countys former tracks at crayford.

No nickname has been decided and the public will be asked to submit their ideas with a prize for the person selecting the name chosen. Some of the names suggested so far have been Spitfires, Hurricanes, Invicta, Crusaders (the old Canterbury title), Bishops and Pilgrims. All have Kent connections and persons wishing to enter the competition should send their entries to "Speedway", Central Park Stadium, Church Rd., Sittingbourne, ME10 3SB.

Kent Bishops?

What team is going to admit to wanting to go down to Kent to bash the Bishops?

• Like 6

Kent Bishops?

I like it!!

Edited by TividaleHeathen

Hi everyone

We are really pleased that we have been able to make the announcement now, and to have had so much interest already in our new venture.

We will be spending the next couple of weeks (and months) working at the track and continuing to set up the infrastucture needed to ensure that this is a success for many years to come.

This will include a brand new and exciting website which will be launced in December but in the meantime you can keep up to date with our temporary site the link is in my signature and will also be on the BSPA website by tomorrow.

For the moment we will be known as Kent Speedway until we decide, through our competition, what the nickname for the club will be.

We are already securing sponsors and I will be spending the Xmas period and January/February working on this. More details to follow.

I am always happy to receive ideas and will be working with local schools, companies and fans on some new and exciting initatives.

Look out for some more major announcements in the coming weeks.

Thanks for everyones support.

Neil "Nikko" Day

Commercial Manager - Kent Speedway

Edited by Nikko
  • Like 2

kent kestrels sounds like a decent name to me. it would provide a link to one of the countys former tracks at crayford.

That is what I thought would be good.

Got a nice ring to it,and is in honour of a lost Kent team ? :lol:

• Like 1

The track, currently under construction, will measure 264 meters, with wide corners to encourage plenty of passing manoeuvres. The stadium itself will be one of, if not the, finest in the sport with over 2000 seats plus a fine restaurant and corporate entertainment suites, and licenced bars and fast food outlets in addition. All spectators will have a superb view of the racing from high level accommodation.

This is the part that interests me. I've never been to Central Park Stadum, so have no idea of the lay out. Does the above mean that spectators be watching from behind glass Wimbledon style?

And will these bars and restaurant be open for speedway meetings?

In other words....."ive just saved about 10k running an NL team out of Hoddesdon.Kent can have it!!!" :wink:

If it keeps Rye House Speedway going it's an excellent decision

• Like 1

Kent Bishops?

Has a ring to it - maybe they could call their 2nd half team the "altar boys" LOL :rofl:

• Like 1

Spitfires would of course be a great name but as the Kent County Cricket team already use that moniker can't see how that would be possible.

Kestrels ticks the boxes: connection with Crayford; good old-fashioned alliteration..

But I actually quite fancy 'Hurricanes'...

Spitfires would of course be a great name but as the Kent County Cricket team already use that moniker can't see how that would be possible.

Kestrels ticks the boxes: connection with Crayford; good old-fashioned alliteration..

But I actually quite fancy 'Hurricanes'...

Good choice :approve:

My initial thought was the Buffs (my grandfather served in the East Kent Regiment during WW1) but 'Kent Buffs' sounds like a firm of french polishers.

Think with the reference to planes maybe the "Wings".All you need is sponsorship from a fast food firm and you could be the Kent "yucky fried chicken" Wings :t:

Seeing as how the horse is the logo, i dont see how you can have Kestrals or Hurricanes or Bishops .. .Kent Colts would be a great name and fits ideally with the logo and young riders....Looking forward to the new season and wish the promotion and the team every success.....