British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2014 Gp Calendar

Bydgoszcz is now confirmed for both SGP (26/04) and SWC (31/07, 02/08) according to Sportowefakty.pl

Hmmmm....what's the weather like in Vojens in September!

On second thoughts it's probably the same as it is whenever that track seems to stage a GP lol.

Regards the Riga staging of the Latvian GP there is currently no mention on the stadiums website at all.

I think the track was installed in 1976, two years before that it possibly began as a moto-football pitch. I was going to post a link to a photo with fans in the 'stands', I had thought that with the addition of a temporary grandstand it would be barely passable, albeit far from representing the word 'grand' in Speedway Grand Prix. it was taken in 2007 so whether or not they've improved we'll have to wait and see. Our Finnish correspondent f-s-p might likely have links to recent pics?

EDIT/UPDATE

However, i've just had a quick shufty at Sportwefakty and OMG! truly shocking (absolutely no exaggeration) pictures of the place. I'm hoping Sporto have got it all wrong and surely this can not be the state of the place? Wow some speedy building and repairs need to be done. Check out the photos at the bottom of the article.

A small excerpt from the article;

"Do you know that in addition to the asphalt track racing and the nearby, now reconstructed Automobile Museum, the so proudly sounding name hides a dilapidated stadium with the outline of an oval speedway, without the necessary drainage, with a concrete slab off the inside track? This board is for competition rickety sport that is "motoboł" (most vividly - football on motorcycles). Rostrum with rotten benches, located on only one side of the stadium did not impress with his appearance."

UPDATE #2

Apparently the rats and cockroaches are suing the stadium owners due to degrading and inhospitable living conditions lol.

On the serious side if they do manage to do a good makeover job then plaudits and congrats indeed.

UPDATE #3

Been having a quick trawl around Latvian Google! It seems that the two year cycle with Daugavpils is welcomed and the intention is to set up schools for young riders.

It also looks like most of the infrastructure for the meeting will be temporary. They don't mention it below but i presume they may need temporary lighting too? Maybe Philip Rising is on the loop to provide us with more information?

From the Latvian media;

"The idea seemed interesting and exciting for our speedway drivers - why the Latvian GP -term changes could unfold in Daugavpils and Riga? Let us look further - arranging the race track, speedway track , to create children and young speedway school , as well as with the time command to Speedway capital not only every two years and that the involvement of young people . Who is intent on organizing the Latvian GP period is for two years and it is now a unique opportunity for the world's elite speedway bring to Riga.

Until the first July is an opportunity to prepare mototreku so that it may already hold a contest . Nothing is not built from scratch , not reconstitute - carried out only elementary roadway reconstruction . Everything else - the participants shed , shower , toilet, including another tribune - can also be temporary , and offices for the race track, already . Road Race track owner shall ensure that before the first July mototreks will be fine and that it will be able to manage to play a first test or race with the best Latvian Speedway masters presence. Similar race (great influx of fans from abroad, Speedway GP time it would be up to 5000 - Race track could be here 10, 000 spectator"

Edited by manchesterpaul

Wouldnt lose any sleep over those pics.

Once they get started with the renovation, it's plain sailing till it's done. The GP is in August, and they had new material already in Daugavpils for this years meeting... Even if someone pulls the plug by mid July, they'll just transfer it to Daugavpils... Really cant see any problem over this, though it looks pretty bad.

... it looks pretty bad.

Why mincing words ?

It is SHOCKING !!!

Has Mr Bellamy seen this before accepting the place as SGP venue?

I am more outraged to know that when it comes to Polish venues, he expects, and what's more, demands, this and that..and yet when it comes to other SGP venues (except Cardiff and Copenhagen) they are nothing else than dumps.

Why mincing words ?

It is SHOCKING !!!

Has Mr Bellamy seen this before accepting the place as SGP venue?

I am more outraged to know that when it comes to Polish venues, he expects, and what's more, demands, this and that..and yet when it comes to other SGP venues (except Cardiff and Copenhagen) they are nothing else than dumps.

You might have a point. :rofl:

FRIENDS ARENA in Stockholm a dump? Western Springs a dump? Prague, Vojens, Malilla all dumps?

PolskiZuzel ... is this the latest incarnation of our resident juvenile delinquent?

FRIENDS ARENA in Stockholm a dump? Western Springs a dump? Prague, Vojens, Malilla all dumps?

PolskiZuzel ... is this the latest incarnation of our resident juvenile delinquent?

actually when comparing all those, PZ has a point regarding torun.