British Speedway Forum

i know that, that's where the joke was as he couldn't select scunny, but certainly wasnt taking the mick.... He's not like that.

Defeat to Somerset cost us also not just Leicester hurricanes.

He's not that type of person at all. :angry: :angry:

As always, comaprisons with other sports only have limited value but its rare that there isn't some sort of play off - entry to the arguably the biggest football league in the world is partly decided by one, for example.

While we might all have our own individual preferences, it is surely what benefits the sport as a whole that counts and what must decide the way to go. There's no question that the play off matches pull in bigger attendances, create far more interest and generate more excitement - as Rob has accurately said, the contrast between the damp squib ending of 2011 when a large number of meaningless matches were played out and the fantastic end to the 2012 season is a stark one, and I think it is clear that in terms of what is best for the sport play offs win hands down.

For myself, I was a dyed in the wool fan of top of the league wins the league until I went to the amazing Scunthorpe-Mildenhall NL play off final in 2011. The second match was undoubtedly the best I have ever seen and had the effect of completely changing my view.

Does anyone know when the cut off is ?

The cut off for the playoffs is 16th September

So after tonight`s match tonking for Leicester- I make it that Redcar can afford to lose by 22 points at Rye House to go through on race points.

Edited by racers and royals

So after tonight`s match tonking for Leicester- I make it that Redcar can afford to lose by 22 points at Rye House to go through on race points.

So who is it going to be who makes the so called Play Offs then??

Bears or Tigers??

so what happens if the score ends Rye House 57 Redcar 33?

rock, paper, scissors?...

best out of three....

no tactical doubles though if behind...

so what happens if the score ends Rye House 57 Redcar 33?

I would assume Leicester would progress as they would have scored more race points than Redcar- 1079 to 1061 Edited by racers and royals

hmm.. normally i'd agree but with the TS rule we have currently I would argue that the no. of double points scores for each side should be subtracted; and the side with the most 'legitimate' points should prevail...(but then the actual points difference between the two would surely be different, but more likely in favour of the right team).. i think

• Like 2

I personally hate the playoffs even more than tacticals, To have a chance of being champions a team only has to be good for 5 minutes, look at the EL, if Poole or Peterborough get in they will probably be favourites. Glad Diamonds probably won't come top like last year, avoid pressure of being best team but not champions. If there must be playoffs copy basketball and ice hockey where they are kept seperate but both important competitions or like America split into two leagues and meet at the end of the season. This way all the postives without the negatives rather than false champions and a micky mouse cup everbody forgots about seconds later for 1st place. Plus with injuries, luck is just as important as talent at this part of the season.

Nonsense.

Ask Plymouth what chance they have of being champions. You have to finish in the top 6, so the league season is anything but irrelevant.

Finishing top does have an advantage - and I am not sure what pressure there is if you get there - because you can avoid the form team to get to the final. Can you see Somerset or Ipswich picking each other ?

To me, there should be a reward for topping the league. But rather than an enormous mass of meaningless matches at the end of the season, it goes right to the wire - in fact, the match at Rye House on Saturday is crucially important - meaning more excitement and bigger crowds.

Finally, if you are lucky you will get an amazing finish, similar to those the NL have had for the past two seasons (Mildenhall v Scunthorpe 2011 is the best match I have ever seen).

Its not a coincidence that play offs are becoming the norm across sports, and there's no doubt in my mind that whichever we might individually prefer they are the best for speedway.

• Like 1

But rather than an enormous mass of meaningless matches at the end of the season

... you end up with a season of meaningless matches.

• Like 3

Fingers crossed we can make it, personally I don't think Edinburgh would pick Redcar - one of the few places we would have an outside chance of winning at. Obviously depends on who finishes, top but Edinburgh aside - I would expect the Bears to be first pick, subject to us avoiding heavy defeat.

... you end up with a season of meaningless matches.

Cracking Post!!! :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

The 'Play Offs' certainly make any achievements a Team make during a Season irrelevant. I've had a GREAT idea - let's CANCEL the League Meetings and just have a 'Play Off' Competition. The League System, at present, is only a 'Play Off' Qualifying Round. The League, in reality, is unnecessary because you get nothing for Winning it. Ergo, how can you be called League Champions when you patently obviously aren't?

There is an old adage that says "the League Tables NEVER Lie" - they DO in Speedway, and, to be fair in certain other Sports as well.

The LOGIC of it seems PERFECTLY CLEAR to me - I'm surprised that some folk cannot see it.

You will NOT be surprised at me saying this HT. Sorry. :wink:

• Like 1

Cracking Post!!! :approve: :approve: :approve: :approve:

The 'Play Offs' certainly make any achievements a Team make during a Season irrelevant. I've had a GREAT idea - let's CANCEL the League Meetings and just have a 'Play Off' Competition. The League System, at present, is only a 'Play Off' Qualifying Round. The League, in reality, is unnecessary because you get nothing for Winning it. Ergo, how can you be called League Champions when you patently obviously aren't?

There is an old adage that says "the League Tables NEVER Lie" - they DO in Speedway, and, to be fair in certain other Sports as well.

The LOGIC of it seems PERFECTLY CLEAR to me - I'm surprised that some folk cannot see it.

You will NOT be surprised at me saying this HT. Sorry. :wink:

Don't give the promoters any ideas for ?????sake........but having said that I really shouldn't have highlighted that because that means there's twice the chance that the promoters see that!
  • Like 1

the play off system is utter bollox and something ive never been a beliver of

i have to ask myself if we even deserve a spot after squandering point after point all season with a team that was very very capable of trouncing all and sundry all year we threw away meetings that should of been won because certain riders didnt turn up or were to preoccupied with riding for better money for their elite teams and not giving it 100% for redcar

The team comes top this year will have a real battle whoever they choose all sides have picked up points against other playoff teams this season. Also looks likely that Bears will get there with Lions poor show against Diamonds. Rye house stuffed bears in cup but less to fight for this time and potentioal tacticals in this meeting.

Edited by Big Diamond