British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
P T Preece

Wolves Vs Birmingham

Comfortable win for the Wolves, and cant see many teams getting much joy at Monmore this year. This team will only get better imo, and a good bet for the play offs with young improvers throughout the team..

• Like 2

Looks like a comprehensive team performance from wolves, stand out being pawlicki , the only minor negative (being very picky) would be morris?

For brum, I guess their reserves and second strings were competitive. But 15 from 13 rides (including two golden double rides) from the top three shows why they are one of two stand out favourites for the wooden spoon.

Also shows again I think that the top teams this year are going to be those with strong heat leaders and reserves.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that there will be a higher proportion of comfortable home wins in the Elite League this season. The new team rules with the limit on points for the top five and the NL reserves means that away wins will be at a premium.

• Like 1

I went to the meeting tonight

Sidney take note .

• Like 3

I have a feeling that there will be a higher proportion of comfortable home wins in the Elite League this season. The new team rules with the limit on points for the top five and the NL reserves means that away wins will be at a premium.

I'm not saying you won't be right, but I don't see why the changes you mention will give teams more of a home advantage?

Sidney take note .

Sidney hasn't been to an EL meeting this year :)

• Like 1

How easy was that??

I thought, well hoped, if we delivered on the promise shown in practice and last Monday`s opener that 60 points was in our grasp. Well we weren't far off.

Nice to see another big crowd getting a fix of good racing at, without question one of the best racing tracks in the country.

An awful bitterly cold wind certainly didn't help the viewing experience but the dominance of the league leaders soon helped warm the coldest of hands. No doubt the Birmingham lot must have froze to the spot waiting for a chance to clap there teams efforts.

Some hard and committed racing - well if you had a Wolves race jacket on, kept the fans happy.

I predicted 5-1`s in both opening heats to my co-horts who were not quite as sure as me but i knew after heat 2 this was going to be a rout.

Birmingham started as they finished - with no fight. A Phil Morris led side i`m sure would have shown a bit more battling qualities but whilst our management think Birmingham have a strong line up, i do not. And that point was bore out tonight.

Birmingham are full of riders who can, 1-5 all raise there games at times but as a whole unit? I worry where any win is going to come from - even at Perry Barr.

Make no mistake, Wolves were dominant but the Brummies were submissive and passive in most of the meeting.

LEAGUE LEADER MIGHTY WOLVES

WORLD CHAMP - Was threatened briefly by Barker who had not enough skill to take him on in heat 10, the result being that Woffy just forced him wide into the 4th bend allowing Jacob thru. Result Barker at the back. Don`t mess with what you cant beat. Quick and as always looking out for his team partner. One of many 15 pointers this year. 5/5

JACOB - Looks quick and prepared to battle for his points he possibly could have been a weak link in the main team at the start of the season. Think he has shown he is more than capable of beating other second string plus beat Brum`s top 2 to boot. More than did his job and then some. 4/5

TY - Battles as he always does. Doesn't seem quite as quick as his team partners but had the beating of most at what Brum threw at him. Considered the laughing stock because of mostly meaningless meetings lack of scoring but back in the busom of his beloved Wolves and team mates he proved that he will come good with time. No doubt Ty is laughing at those already writing him off - i know i am. 3/5

RICKY - looks really quick and another expected not to have much improvement if one listens to the `expert` predictors. Protected Ty in heat 8 and was chasing Nermark hard in heat 14 Another that more than did his job. 4.5/5

PIOTR - Our sensational Pole already looks like a master of Monmore and even when behind picked off more experienced Monmore performers with ease. Probably will finish with the higher average of the Pawlicki`s. For someone meant to struggle to even match his starting average has started with a paid maximum. CLASS CLASS CLASS. Just think, Poole could have had him on his starting average but deemed to high to take a risk. PMSFL. 5/5 MOTM

JOE - classy gating, confident in front and prepared to mix it. Our reserves will win us most meetings this season. Paid 8 is still a stunning start for the lesser experienced reserve. 4.5/5

ASH - Did his job in heat 2 but then just seemed to struggle with his bike and handling the track. Admitted on the post meet parade that he was nervous and he should have done better. Said he needs to relax on the bike more. 1st meeting nerves riding for his boyhood team out the way now. We still believe Ash! 1.5/5

BORING BRUMMIES

King - not even threatened to do anything like a number one should. Has had good meetings at Monmore and some bad ones. This is a latter performance. Not number one standard on this showing. 1.5/5

Skornicki - would be a threat on any Wolves visit. Showed fight in 2 heats then virtually invisible in the rest. 2/5

Barker - Did the business in heat 8 but was pretty dire otherwise, didn't even look interested in some heats. 1.5/5

Nermark - probably the pick of the visitors.2 fine wins but another who was invisible in the other heats. 2.5/5

Kennett - Isn't Ed meant to be quick and pacy this year so far? Looked ok in heat 3, got caught out by a briefly locking wells in heat 6 on his TR and his chance of points gone. Invisible thereafter. 0.5/5

Lambert - Decent effort, beat his opposite number 3 times out of 4 so more than did his job . 3/5

Starke - Good win in the 2nd reserves race and beat his opposite number 3 times. 2.5/5

ANALYSIS - Both teams reserves did a decent job. Wolves (9+2) to Brum`s 7 so little in it from that perspective.Wolves top 2 were immaculate (27+3) compared to Brum (13) so Brum woefully weak in that department. And if you take it top 3 v top 3 Wolves (32+4) and Brum (15) even worse.

The second strings was slightly more comparable Wolves 17+3 v Brum 13+1.

So the predicted poor Wolves side set off as they intend. No doubt our next home meeting against the Stars could be a different story. On to Leicester and 4 routine points.

Top of the table and staying that way. :approve:

Edited by stevebrum
  • Like 1

As predicted - a poor season beckons for Birmingham

Poor performance from the Brummies tonight with the match decided after 4 heats.Not much racing to talk of as the Wolves were so sharp out of the gate,with the Brummies offering little from the back.Tougher tests ahead but was impressed by young Jaccobs.

Comfortable win for the Wolves, and cant see many teams getting much joy at Monmore this year. This team will only get better imo, and a good bet for the play offs with young improvers throughout the team..

Just waiting for the masses to change there predictions, just like 2013. :P

Danny king and Edward kennett hang your heads in shame pathetic and I'm never critical of the lads..

The only positive was the reserves will do ok this season

Blimey, wasn't expecting that. Nice start. What I was expecting was a bit more from the Brummies.

3 weeks till the next meeting :shock:

• Like 1

Well if this is setting the tone for the season, Alan Phillips had best not have the bare faced cheek to complain when fans abandon watching this side assembled for £1.50, a highly uncompetitive side killing attendances will do just as much damage to the club as overspending.

I hope this is an occasional away blip, but done nothing to appease worries the side looks quite poor.

Despite the score line, a very entertaining meeting on a superb track with some excellent presentation thrown in.

A good night spoilt only by some a*seh*le breaking into my car.

Despite the score line, a very entertaining meeting on a superb track with some excellent presentation thrown in.

A good night spoilt only by some a*seh*le breaking into my car.

Sorry to hear that HT, what happened to the security?

How easy was that??

...No doubt the Birmingham lot must have froze to the spot waiting for a chance to clap there teams efforts.

... I worry where any win is going to come from - even at Perry Barr.

... Brummies were submissive and passive in most of the meeting.

BORING BRUMMIES

King - not even threatened to do anything like a number one should. Has had good meetings at Monmore and some bad ones. This is a latter performance. Not number one standard on this showing. 1.5/5

Skornicki - would be a threat on any Wolves visit. Showed fight in 2 heats then virtually invisible in the rest. 2/5

Barker - Did the business in heat 8 but was pretty dire otherwise, didn't even look interested in some heats. 1.5/5

Nermark - probably the pick of the visitors.2 fine wins but another who was invisible in the other heats. 2.5/5

Kennett - Isn't Ed meant to be quick and pacy this year so far? Looked ok in heat 3, got caught out by a briefly locking wells in heat 6 on his TR and his chance of points gone. Invisible thereafter. 0.5/5

Lambert - Decent effort, beat his opposite number 3 times out of 4 so more than did his job . 3/5

Starke - Good win in the 2nd reserves race and beat his opposite number 3 times. 2.5/5

Well, thanks for that. Just what we needed to know. I don't think that on the basis of that I need waste any money this Wednesday then. Nor, by the lack of a thread on the matter, does it look like any other Brummies fans are interested in the Belle Vue fixture either.