British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
scottyfan

Poole V Lakeside Challange 26/3/14

The programme editor went with the gate positions originally supplied by BSPA/SCB. A 2nd revised version was then apparently decided upon but not fully advised to all!!!!

Feel for Davy Watt who, I understand, blew a brand new PJR tuned engine.

And that, will be a very expensive.

Well the new race format showed up the flaws. Josh scores well but only by beating his fellow number and reserves. Shows how important 2 and 4 will be this season. Pawlicki did well and the reserves did ok. Milik is going to need to get sorted and fast. Expected Poole to win easier than 6 against a side who are notoriously bad away from home. Think a Lynn or Belle Vue would have won last night

• Like 2

Well the new race format showed up the flaws. Josh scores well but only by beating his fellow number and reserves. Shows how important 2 and 4 will be this season. Pawlicki did well and the reserves did ok. Milik is going to need to get sorted and fast. Expected Poole to win easier than 6 against a side who are notoriously bad away from home. Think a Lynn or Belle Vue would have won last night

Don't forget though Poole were testing things & Lakeside weren't according to someone looking for the usual excuses & gave away loads of points as a result!!!!.

More spin than a politician.

Edited by Crazy robin
  • Like 5

Against a strong looking Lakeside and with Only 9 points from 15 by Ward and a poor night for their new signing the signs look ominous for the rest of the league. So thats one team in the play-offs who will the other 3 be ?

The local papers view of proceedings:

Poole Pirates: Early promise from Ford's men

THERE will be greater tests to come, but Matt Ford’s fledglings showed glimpses of the quality required for Elite League success as they passed their first examination of 2014 last night.

Against an erratic but dangerous Lakeside outfit, Pirates overcame several significant speed bumps in securing a 48-42 challenge match victory in their first competitive outing of the season.

With five heats gone, Aussie star Darcy Ward had twice been set back by engine failures and Vaclav Milik had experienced mechanical gremlins, with Lakeside able to cling on to a narrow lead from heat six until heat 11.

Arriving late to the party, Ward was once again Pirates’ lynchpin as he stormed to wins in heats 13 and 15, supplementing the terrific work of Shamek Pawlicki throughout the meeting.

Opening in untypical fashion, Ward retired on bend three of heat one as the hosts fell 4-2 behind.

Reserve Lee Smart gamely held off Adam Ellis, before ex-Pirate Davey Watt failed to swipe away Maciej Janowski in heat three, allowing the Pole and frontrunner Pawlicki to notch a 5-1.

However, a retirement for Czech new boy Milik resulted in the Hammers returning the maximum favour and the teams were locked at 12-12.

Ward’s engine misery continued in race five and there was further drama when the Hammers’ Mikkel Bech fell after locking up on bend three, only to remount and scoot home for a point.

The Hammers inched 19-17 in front with a 4-2 despite Pawlicki’s neat move inside Lewis Bridger and the advantage became four courtesy of Bech’s jet-propelled gate.

Heat eight was shared and the second reserves’ race proved a more exciting affair, with a frustrated Smart all over the back wheel of the third-placed Ben Morley.

Ward finally bagged three points before the heat of the night came in 11, as Bech passed Maciej Janowski and Pawlicki for the lead inside half a lap, only for the latter to come roaring back.

Supporters from both sides were relieved to see Kyle Newman get to his feet after sliding under the air fence in race 12 and then Ward delivered his second win in spite of an unintentional wheelie on bend four of the second lap.

A shared penultimate heat ensured that only a 5-1 maximum from the visitors would result in honours ending even and sure enough, Ward and Pawlicki delivered.

While skipper Ward left his rivals in the dust on the re-run, Pawlicki remounted mid-race to secure a point and a closing 4-2

Article from the Daily Echo continues.... http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/11104811.Poole_Pirates__Early_promise_from_Ford_s_men/

Edited by Poole Quay 7

THERE will be greater tests to come, but Matt Ford’s fledglings showed glimpses of the quality required for Elite League success as they passed their first examination of 2014 last night.

A promising start for 'Matt Ford's fledglings'...

With young Mr Darcy retiring twice and dropping 6 points together with Milik misfiring most of the night, 'Matt Ford's fledglings' still beat Lakeside by 6 points.

Suggest that 'Matt Ford's fledglings' will be the team to beat this year.. ;)

• Like 1

Don't forget though Poole were testing things & Lakeside weren't according to someone looking for the usual excuses & gave away loads of points as a result!!!!.

More spin than a politician.

Both sides were testing - not just machinery but racing positions as well!!

As for the race format, some 'interesting' match-ups!! Bech being half a lap in front of Smart being just one. Although there was no T/R last night, for the away team I think it shows the importance of having a strong No.5.

I guess there might often be different racing order home and away - we'll see.

PS. Had to smile reading the Lakeside summary this morning - 'in front of a large crowd'??????? I dread to think what Lakeside's crowds are like if they thought it was a large crowd at Poole last night!! Very poor crowd imo - but probably understandable after the big attendance at Havvy's on Friday - and it was b****y cold again!!

Both sides were testing - not just machinery but racing positions as well!!

As for the race format, some 'interesting' match-ups!! Bech being half a lap in front of Smart being just one. Although there was no T/R last night, for the away team I think it shows the importance of having a strong No.5.

I guess there might often be different racing order home and away - we'll see.

PS. Had to smile reading the Lakeside summary this morning - 'in front of a large crowd'??????? I dread to think what Lakeside's crowds are like if they thought it was a large crowd at Poole last night!! Very poor crowd imo - but probably understandable after the big attendance at Havvy's on Friday - and it was b****y cold again!!

The Lakeside summary doesn't say anything about a large crowd .........http://www.lakesidehammers.co/content/?p=7044

Interestingly the report in the North Korea and Bournemouth Echo mentions Poole's mechanical gremlins but doesn't mention the fact that Lakeside had some mechanical problems of their own, nor does mention that three of the Lakeside team were riding the track for the first time, that Adam Ellis well outscored the Poole reserves or that Mikkel Bech was second highest scorer of the whole match. Still, we don't want the Poole faithful choking in their Muesli.

Having said all that, once the league starts for real it is difficult to see anyone else getting within 6 points of the pirates at Wmby Road.

Lewis Bridger has tweeted this morning that the new system is going to be a wake up call riding at No5. I guess a lot of teams will have that problem but with Ward Shamek and magic Poole seem to have all their bases covered in that respect.

• Like 1

The Lakeside summary doesn't say anything about a large crowd .........http://www.lakesidehammers.co/content/?p=7044

Interestingly the report in the North Korea and Bournemouth Echo mentions Poole's mechanical gremlins but doesn't mention the fact that Lakeside had some mechanical problems of their own, nor does mention that three of the Lakeside team were riding the track for the first time, that Adam Ellis well outscored the Poole reserves or that Mikkel Bech was second highest scorer of the whole match. Still, we don't want the Poole faithful choking in their Muesli.

Having said all that, once the league starts for real it is difficult to see anyone else getting within 6 points of the pirates at Wmby Road.

Lewis Bridger has tweeted this morning that the new system is going to be a wake up call riding at No5. I guess a lot of teams will have that problem but with Ward Shamek and magic Poole seem to have all their bases covered in that respect.

Come on it must have been just the Poole riders testing & having mechanical problems as well as the font of all knowledge has said so & why would Lakeside do it as well in a Challenge match!!!!

Oh how I love the spin from the South coast as it must be like how Dorothy felt in that tornado in the wizard of oz.:-)

Edited by Crazy robin
  • Like 3

So 'Skidder1 seeing as you describe last night's attendance as a "Very poor crowd," how many do you think were at the meeting? 500? 1000? 1500?

So 'Skidder1 seeing as you describe last night's attendance as a "Very poor crowd," how many do you think were at the meeting? 500? 1000? 1500?

Wouldn't worry Bryn as there's nothing in the Lakeside report anyway so lord knows where he got that from!!

I`d like to think Lakeside can hold it pretty close with Bech scoring well. 48-42

:wink:

• Like 3

Oh how I love the spin from the South coast as it must be like how Dorothy felt in that tornado in the wizard of oz.:-)

Reminds me where is Shovvy today ?

Reminds me where is Shovvy today ?

Clicking his heels................ or waiting to cast out the next trolling net. :D