British Speedway Forum
ProperSport

Workington Or Stoke

Just looking for some advice , was taking my daughter to her first ever Speedway match tonight but the weather has beaten us with Belle Vue v Swindon off - she really wants to understand why I love this sport so having looked at the fixtures and got a rare week off work Sat night throws up two fixtures of clubs within 1/1 half of Preston - Workington v Edinburgh or Stoke v Buxton , never been to either track - Workington seem like a really friendly club , was wondering on people's thoughts on views , food in case the 12 yr old gets bored in 2mins , closer meeting out of the two - Im thinking Workington and any other advice - will go to one and I suppose the weather again may play a part

Apologies if in the wrong section and any advice would be superb

Cheers

Chris

* Sorry posted twice *

Edited by ProperSport

The Workington V Edinburgh match should be a really good one, two well matched teams who should be fighting it out for honours at the end of the season. the battles between Craig Cook and the top Workington riders should be great, I'm sure Cookie will be looking for a maximum and track record too. Of course the weather may be a factor but there is a covered, seated grandstand with a couple of burger vans and bars. Hope to see you there!

• Like 1

Just looking for some advice , was taking my daughter to her first ever Speedway match tonight but the weather has beaten us with Belle Vue v Swindon off - she really wants to understand why I love this sport so having looked at the fixtures and got a rare week off work Sat night throws up two fixtures of clubs within 1/1 half of Preston - Workington v Edinburgh or Stoke v Buxton , never been to either track - Workington seem like a really friendly club , was wondering on people's thoughts on views , food in case the 12 yr old gets bored in 2mins , closer meeting out of the two - Im thinking Workington and any other advice - will go to one and I suppose the weather again may play a part

Apologies if in the wrong section and any advice would be superb

Cheers

Chris

* Sorry posted twice *

I'd go to Workington every time above Stoke.

Many reasons. 1) Stoke is a dump. 2) Track is usually badly prepared at Loomer Road. 3) It usually takes an age to run a meeting (other than those reasons, it's great!!).

The only thing Stoke has going for it is it's cheaper to get in. Workington it's £14 + free prog (Juniors 5-15 £4). Stoke charge £12 for adults and £2 for the kids. Workington do Family Tickets as well which bring the price down a bit if there are 1 adult and 2 kids, etc.

Edited by The Abbott
  • Like 1

I'd go to Workington every time above Stoke.

Many reasons. 1) Stoke is a dump. 2) Track is usually badly prepared at Loomer Road. 3) It usually takes an age to run a meeting (other than those reasons, it's great!!).

The only thing Stoke has going for it is it's cheaper to get in. Workington it's £14 + free prog (Juniors 5-15 £4). Stoke charge £12 for adults and £2 for the kids. Workington do Family Tickets as well which bring the price down a bit if there are 1 adult and 2 kids, etc.

Do you work for Stoke, you are sure making it sound far better than the last time I was there!

• Like 2

Do you work for Stoke, you are sure making it sound far better than the last time I was there!

Certainly don't! I support Newcastle.

Last time I was there was 2009 (I think!).

Only giving my personal opinion.

Workington v Edinburgh - best riders on show. Should be a cracking meeting!!

It's got to be Workington.

Big fast track, decent racing usually. Covered seated grandstand, good viewing. A few burger vans and bars. Workington v Edinburgh should be a good match with Craig Cook in opposition.

Stoke - once neat stadium which has suffered decades of neglect. Decent medium-sized track which has also suffered decades of neglect and never produces the standard of racing it should be capable of. Can park trackside and watch from car, or there's an Indoor seated bar area. Food actually quite ok by speedway standards. Local derby but Buxton will be weak opposition.

Workington. As it the best track going to be one heck of a meeting and you will love it

No question, Workington.

Abbott is just about spot on.

Wrap up warm, though !!

Certainly don't! I support Newcastle.

Last time I was there was 2009 (I think!).

Only giving my personal opinion.

Was tongue in cheek, I know you're a Diamonds fan. Just thought you were trying to make Stoke sound good! :wink:

• Like 1

I saw Edinburgh at Berwick last Saturday, and their meeting with Workington look set to be a cracker.

As a Stoke supporter for over 30 years it kills me to say it but Workington and Stoke are not comparable. Go to Workington!

Possibly 10 years ago you could've compared the two but not these days.

The track, stadium, team and promotion are all superior at Workington.

• Like 1