British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ARU777

Dag Lovaas

If I remember rightly Dag stuck with a 2 valve Jap in 1975 at Oxford and in 1976 at White City. With most other riders on 4 valves that would certainly have put him at a disadvantage around the big White City track which would account for his slump in average from 10 plus at Oxford.

Never broke a bone either I don't think (in reply to the OP), but suffers from a bad back after Reider Eide stuffed him into the fence at Newport.

If I remember rightly Dag stuck with a 2 valve Jap in 1975 at Oxford and in 1976 at White City. With most other riders on 4 valves that would certainly have put him at a disadvantage around the big White City track which would account for his slump in average from 10 plus at Oxford.

Never broke a bone either I don't think (in reply to the OP), but suffers from a bad back after Reider Eide stuffed him into the fence at Newport.

Salty what was his brother Ulf like at the Heath?he was the 1972 Norwegian champion i only see him for Oxford he did look more than usefull not in Dag's class of course. Edited by sidney

I had the pleasure of watching Dag often at Tilehurst when the sport was big in Reading, and later he was an outstanding number one for the Rebels at Oxford.

Superb stylist and so effortless, his prowess in the wet came from practicing on ice in Norway on a conventional speedway bike it was said. He was the last man to ride a JAP in a world final but in the end they couldn't get it to work with the silencer.

His elder brother Ulf was a good rider and a tough guy, a Norwegian army sergeant.

Could the original poster be thinking of another great Norwegian speedway rider, Rolf Gramstad, who broke his back in a track crash in the early 1980s?

Could the original poster be thinking of another great Norwegian speedway rider, Rolf Gramstad, who broke his back in a track crash in the early 1980s?

i think you are right rocket,he rode for Swindon and moved to Leicester and really improved did another quite good Norwegian rider Einar Kylingstad get injured as well i believe you are right though Rocket.

As I mentioned in an earlier post Dag does suffer from a back condition caused by a racing accident. Clearly the OP has Dag right when he talks about Newcastle, Oxford and the World Pairs meetings alongside Reider Eide.

Rolf's accident (if I recall the same weekend that Penhall won at Wembley) was some 5 years after Dag retired.

Both Rolf Gramstad and Steen Mastrup joined the Robins, I'm guessing now in about 1979 (my mum threw all my attic stuff away since)...

Rolf became my favourite rider as a youngster and I ran him into him once outside what used to be called 'Paperback Parade', just off the Wyvern Square

It was a big moment for me and he was most friendly, I was hugely disappointed when he left Swindon and devasated when he had his bad accident !

Does anyone know how he is these days ?

Edited to add that perhaps it might have been nearer 1981...

Best Wishes to Rolf anyway...

Edited by yerropes

Both Rolf Gramstad and Steen Mastrup joined the Robins, I'm guessing now in about 1979 (my mum threw all my attic stuff away since)...

Rolf became my favourite rider as a youngster and I ran him into him once outside what used to be called 'Paperback Parade', just off the Wyvern Square

It was a big moment for me and he was most friendly, I was hugely disappointed when he left Swindon and devasated when he had his bad accident !

Does anyone know how he is these days ?

Edited to add that perhaps it might have been nearer 1981...

Best Wishes to Rolf anyway...

Remember that Yerropes" i can remember Rolf beating Mauger in one meeting he had quality.Rogers signed him for Leicester and he really improved bigtime.Mastrup,Holloway , Gramstad ,Henry ( was decent ) the old second halves were great.I Can always remember a young Robert Craven having a spin i think in 1979 i have a feeling Louis Carr and John WIlliams were there as well. Edited by sidney

Didnt Gramstad get hit by someone Doing a practice start which Caused his injury seem to remember it may have been the late Zdenek Kudrna for some reason.

Einar Kyllingstad got a cracking 15pt maximum one sunday afternoon against Swindon at Blunsdon followed by a fine tonking of the Robins by the mighty CHEETAHS of Oxford.

Read in Backtrack or Five1 that Dag Lovaas and Reidar Eide didn't get on as Eide was jealous of the new kid kn tbe block and it was thought by those who witnessed the incident that Lovaas had been fenced deliberately.

Didnt Gramstad get hit by someone Doing a practice start which Caused his injury seem to remember it may have been the late Zdenek Kudrna for some reason.

Einar Kyllingstad got a cracking 15pt maximum one sunday afternoon against Swindon at Blunsdon followed by a fine tonking of the Robins by the mighty CHEETAHS of Oxford.

Read in Backtrack or Five1 that Dag Lovaas and Reidar Eide didn't get on as Eide was jealous of the new kid kn tbe block and it was thought by those who witnessed the incident that Lovaas had been fenced deliberately.

I can remember the Kylingstad 15 point max he was decent, i can always remember ( what a joke but right really in 1974 ) Boocock who had broke his arm at Newport badly was aloud to start at reserve he scored 14 points took the pee Eric was a class act though.