British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudtobeaBrummie

Brummies V Belle Vue 11/6/14

Sorry to say Cook has reached his level that is PL lacks ambition or he'd dump the PL and ride in Sweden and Poland Barker is another levelled out . Also how can Cook captain the Aces when's he's missing so often ?

I'll be the first to admit I thought this match would have been much closer than this, was expecting Belle Vue to push the Brummies' all the way.

It is good to see Birmingham perform well and get a good result.. I thought BV could be contenders for the Play-off's but some of their riders have to up their game, else they're season could be finish as 'also-ran's ' again

I feel Belle Vue have been the seasons under acheivers thus far. I would have had them nailed on for top 4 with the line-up they had on paper. I guess one or 2 riders have gone backwards instead of the predicted forwards.

Watching via bet 365 gives a good chance to see action from other tracks over a period of time, meets from Perry Bar I have personally found to be as entertaining as any.

Cookie averaging 9.5 at home and 4.25 away at the moment, overall 6.33. The problem is we have had 5 home matches and 10 away matches, of which he has missed 4. I am not sure if you can do this, but probably need to swap Scott and Cookie riding positions for away matches, unless Scott was promised number 5 home and away??

Edited by jimmy jimmy

It's a difficulty for promoters when it comes to track prep, especially against an Aces side. Do you prepare it for a home win to please the die hard fans or do you prepare it for entertainment value but risk losing and then see those fans drift away. The former will never attract new fans whilst the latter could see your core support hit.

At the end of the day it's a redundant discussion as if the home fans are happy then they pay their entrance and the club continue to operate. The feelings of a handful of visiting fans from a business point of view is neither here or there.

I feel Belle Vue have been the seasons under acheivers thus far. I would have had them nailed on for top 4 with the line-up they had on paper. I guess one or 2 riders have gone backwards instead of the predicted forwards.

I think we all did! But then you just know BV will always finish a couple of positions lower than loks likely while Poole will alays finish a few higher. It's the Morton/Ford effect.

Disappointed with Scott Nicholls too, only one race win at a track he has gone well at previously. Also threw a tantrum at the start marshall after he told him to move over, then got off his bike to do some gardening when the other 3 riders are at the tapes ready to race. Clearly delayed the start of the race and should have been excluded.

All the delaying did is make the refs mind up when he went down on bend 1. That was all for back 50% of the time but after his playing games he already had a black mark next to his name

Cookie averaging 9.5 at home and 4.25 away at the moment, overall 6.33. The problem is we have had 5 home matches and 10 away matches, of which he has missed 4. I am not sure if you can do this, but probably need to swap Scott and Cookie riding positions for away matches, unless Scott was promised number 5 home and away??

The number 5 does have a very slightly harder programme so maybe looking to move him would help, but not by a lot tbh. Especially as Cook is very much all or nothing.

Edited by SCB

It's a difficult one for Cook...he cannot just ride in the Elite League as there are not enough meetings so he needs extra meetings so I'm sure he'd love to race in Sweden and Poland as well.....but that is often easier said than done......you need contacts and a good negotiator ....and he is not a big name over there so is highly unlikely to attract the attention of a lot of clubs or get a particuarly attractive deal off the few that might be interested....it's not easy to get a foot in the door in the first place

England could do with more test matches abroad for riders like Cook to put themselves into the European market...and a really impressive World Cup or Grand Prix run will help...until that happens I think he is stuck doubling up as it's probably his best option now, although Belle Vue and Edinburgh are hardly great training for meetings on the big European circuits where he might catch the eye of foreign leagues

That's a good summing up of the season so far, as regards to cook riding abroad he stated at the start of the season the cost of doing so was prohibitive for him. Remaining in the PL is detrimental to his career.

• Like 1

All the delaying did is make the refs mind up when he went down on bend 1. That was all for back 50% of the time but after his playing games he already had a black mark next to his name

That's exactly what I said at the time, I think his antics at start lane swayed the referee decision as he was definitely clipped by King going into first bend.

• Like 1

That's exactly what I said at the time, I think his antics at start lane swayed the referee decision as he was definitely clipped by King going into first bend.

No he wasnt. (I stand on the first bend of the centre green so am a lot closer than anyone else.)

No he wasnt. (I stand on the first bend of the centre green so am a lot closer than anyone else.)

I was stood on first bend and there was definitely contact, not much but enough unsettle Nicholls.

That's a good summing up of the season so far, as regards to cook riding abroad he stated at the start of the season the cost of doing so was prohibitive for him. Remaining in the PL is detrimental to his career.

Can't see him being any good riding abroad he's just not got the skill level ....is not so much the lack of points it's the manner of how he rides

• Like 1

Cook has an excellent technique for the tight, technical tracks but it's always going to be a little more difficult on the pacier tracks. It's not so much of an issue for him in the PL when he's a bike length in front by 1st bend and can command the race from there on, but in the EL, and in the new format, there's no hiding place for guys like him.

A few heat leaders struggled earlier on and were able to turn the corner (Schlein springs to mind), and for BV's sake, they'll be hoping he can do the same. There's little point replacing him at this stage of the season as there's so many more home meetings to complete, which is his strength.

As for next year, he probably needs a move to a bigger track, lose the PL, and try to get some rides abroad.