British Speedway Forum
BeoBrummie

Birmingham - The Future?

Crowds gather in Solihull office to confront Mr Phillips.................all 12-15 of them ..............

Apart from the gathering that turned up, it was interesting to see that a pi**ed off policeman and the Birmingham Mail "who were there strangely on time" to take photographs ?..................say no more.........

What a shambles.......................

Would love to know who arranged all this...........or maybe not............................what a joke some of you are at PR.......

Nigel speaks some sense when it comes to the concept of selling speedway in Birmingham.

When you have Poole who have been going for yonks, Wolverhampton who have been going for yonks along with Cov, then there is Birmingham where most of the city can't remember it.

So perhaps those in Birmingham judge it against all other current attractions that are perhaps more with it and upto date.

If speedway feels twenty years out of date, the new fans won't come back in their droves.

Flattery ..I like it.. :D

That's the problem speedway is unfashionable, not cool.. like a pair of flared trousers its outdated, the young generation will steer clear of anything that is not fashionable

Modernise or die is the reality. Engage with the young generation,

Im an old fart but all for modernising ..... too many Luddites about.

What about putting a side together that was the best in the land .

I dont want to go down this road its done to death on other threads but for the record Drury put the team together, every one said it would win nothing, wooden spoon they said. but by chance and unexpected form of some riders and the fantastic efforts of Phill Morris the team clicked... Phillips never rode a bike!

Your points are of course reasonable but not proven by previous entrepreneurial actions I am in my late sixties and have pumped a small fortune to help riders and clubs over the years.When promoting or marketing a product or service you have to look at the market potential. There are three market conditions to consider, a declining market, a static market and a growing market and which you invest in. Clearly everyone invests in a growing market for obvious reasons and protecting your share of a static market requires careful investment but to invest in a declining market can only have one outcome. Since 2007 Speedway attendance's have been in steady decline now don't look to blame anyone individual or body it is a fact for whatever reason. That decline has been influenced by the economic trends not necessarily the BSPA or your local Promotion so in that cruel market the opportunities to succeed are very limited indeed.

Now you may be disappointed that my realistic and qualified opinion isn't what you desire but harsh reality rarely is. Timing and market conditions are absolutely critical when it comes to a growth challenge, I don't wish to appear condescending Nigel but the expertise to achieve what you would like to see just isn't in British Speedway in a sufficient capacity to make a difference. Most of those who have had those skills have been dissed or driven out of the sport. Regards

I am an old fart....

you seem to have plenty of reasons for doing nothing, but non for doing something. You seem to suggest that declining markets cannot be halted or reversed and therefor we should not attempt to save our sport but let it slowly bleed to death.

May I respectfully remind you that among many other things even Football was at one time a declining market as was Rugby... where are they now,

May I also remind you Speedway was almost dead in 1959 with 7 tracks but the decline was "reversed" in the early 60s in one of the biggest booms in speedway history, again. the declining market hit speedway in 1934 and it was down to a handful of tracks but it reversed the decline with a pre war boom, pity Hitler spoilt it.. People keep writing off speedway as finished but it keeps bouncing back thanks to positive people with a can do attitude,

Are you suggesting that previous entrepreneurial failures mean their can not be future successes?

the harsh reality is we must modernise or die.....that is my unrealistic and unqualified opinion. ;)

Although I grant you no one has arrested the decline in Marks and Spencers market.... cloths for old farts ..not appealing to the younger generation ..has a familiar ring to it dont you think?

We seem to have the expertise at Cardiff... great show ,,,, the skills are out there

Edited by Nigel

You can't compare Cardiff with league speedway though, totally different baby! Apart from perhaps doing something special to get the fan's attention on parade ;-)

Crowds gather in Solihull office to confront Mr Phillips.................all 12-15 of them ..............

Apart from the gathering that turned up, it was interesting to see that a pi**ed off policeman and the Birmingham Mail "who were there strangely on time" to take photographs ?..................say no more.........

Would love to know who arranged all this...........or maybe not............................what a joke some of you are at PR.......

I need to point out to you Stan, this was kept quite because we didnt want Phillips knowing we were coming and the less people who knew the better, as it was we had a Judas in our group because the copper told us so.

The copper might have looked bored because it all went off without a problem, the Newspaper woman was called by the people who arranged it. No point doings something if nobody knows you have done it.

The idea was to deliver a letter to Phillips asking him to set it right, but the bloke didnt care.

We did have one result Phillips and his wife had a domestic in front of us, it sort of made the day.

• Like 1

I need to point out to you Stan, this was kept quite because we didnt want Phillips knowing we were coming and the less people who knew the better, as it was we had a Judas in our group because the copper told us so.

The copper might have looked bored because it all went off without a problem, the Newspaper woman was called by the people who arranged it. No point doings something if nobody knows you have done it.

The idea was to deliver a letter to Phillips asking him to set it right, but the bloke didnt care.

We did have one result Phillips and his wife had a domestic in front of us, it sort of made the day.

Sad.

I used to like and respect your views Stan but these chip on the shoulder attitude posts aren't no good for you and don't help in everyones common cause here which is the reopening of Birmingham speedway!

• Like 1

Apart from the copper being there, everything went to plan really.

You played a big part in the planning Peter and I know everyone is very grateful for the "James Bond" style surveillance you put forward lol.

Im really getting into it now Deano, just been out and brought a dinner jacket and bow tie, just got to get the aston martin now.

• Like 2

This is another BSF debate running out of steam but will carry on with the usual deviations, possibly in regard to what is the latest news in regard to Wimbledon Stadium?

This is another BSF debate running out of steam but will carry on with the usual deviations, possibly in regard to what is the latest news in regard to Wimbledon Stadium?

You've just deviated it yourself.... :o

• Like 1

I used to like and respect your views Stan but these chip on the shoulder attitude posts aren't no good for you and don't help in everyones common cause here which is the reopening of Birmingham speedway!

Sir, Im sorry to here that, I respect your views, but before passing comment do you know all the facts regarding the mindset of "SOME" of the Birmingham followers..

Sir, Im sorry to here that, I respect your views, but before passing comment do you know all the facts regarding the mindset of "SOME" of the Birmingham followers..

I fear there is a clique of Brummies Followers who seem to have there own agenda.....I say let them carry on.... :sad:

No Stan I don't know all the facts, but surely all Birmingham speedway fans whether they are nice people or not all want the same thing which is the reopening of Birmingham Brummies speedway next season?

I spectate at Ipswich more than anywhere else and like many Ipswich regulars I'm not a fan of the Louis' but they've been running Ipswich speedway continuously since 1989 and I doubt if anyone else could do any better, so I'm not loud in criticism of them!

All personal feelings should be put aside is what I'm preaching!

Edited by 25yearfan