British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Leicester Lion

Hemsley: King's Lynn A Race Track No More

Who doesn't hemsley upset is a good question,his remarks about kings Lynn is a real shocker when his track is so highly criticised by riders,managers & Fans.

I guess he won't be popular at kings lynn now

Interesting reading about people's perception of tracks, Speedway racing then and now, etc.

Suffice to say that, I'm being TOTALLY unbiased here guys. But nowhere, repeat NOWHERE, beat Waterden Road for close racing and overtaking - a point maybe substantiated by a myriad of various riders (in the 70's and 80's) stating in Speedway Mail & Star that Hackney was their favourite track.

Maybe the high banking on the bends, coupled with layer after layer of fresh shale, had something to do with this?

Suffice to say that at many tracks these days, I watch this sport and know only too well why the sport is dying on it's arse. :(

I enjoyed my Friday at eight visits but it was dark and gloomy and certainly had a home bias like most i would add.

The wick was a decent track when silver ran it, although I did witness some awful accidents there over the years. The racing was never as good when the track was changed in 1984, when crayford moved in.

Guest GiveusaB

I think the trouble with EL speedway tracks, is the fact that everything is being done with 'finance' or lack of? in mind! Therefore the track preparations are being compromised.....lack of dirt to handle the ever increasing power of the rnodern engine! Peterborough is the best track I've seen this season! Slightly irrelevant to the topic? but I think speedway tracks without a centre green are an eyesore imo!

Maybe Buster should give the concrete in the middle a lick of green paint.....at least it would look nicer!

• Like 1

As someone who went from watching 60 meetings a year to about 10 in 3 years I assure you that the standard of racing is NOT the issue. The 4 riders, 4 laps thing is as good now as I ever remember it being.

The politics and cheating is worse than ever.

The standard of racing may not be an issue for you but at kings lynn it is definately in decline although you probably havent been there for a couple of years, the racing at coventry has been better lately so you may not think its a issue at your track

The standard of racing may not be an issue for you but at kings lynn it is definately in decline although you probably havent been there for a couple of years, the racing at coventry has been better lately so you may not think its a issue at your track

Totally disagree for reasons already said

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted spectacles. I watched a DVD Leicester v Reading at Blackbird Road, 1980 or 81. Not a single pass all night. However Blackbird Road was a racers track and racing and passing could and did happen. Certainly not the case at BP where you can probably count on one hand the amount of good races since we re-opened. DH will always wear his promoters hat though, and I can't blame him for that he wants bums on seats, The problem is whether he actually believes what he is saying or simply saying it as a promotion push. I have yet to hear any positive remarks about the racing at BP, apart from Mr Hemsley's comments. If he genuinely believes that the racing is of a high standard at BP then we might as well keep out money in our wallets on a Saturday night. But that is not good for the long term future of the club, so while we continue to support the team and crowds remain healthy is it difficult to see anything changing. Therein lies the dilemma.. The only real prospect of change is to maybe put together a petition. How many Leicester fans would sign that? would Mr.Hemsley listen to it? I doubt it. I always think a non attendance protest would have some impact, just for one meeting, or maybe even the first heat. But getting everyone to sign up to that would be difficult. I have never met Mr.Hemsley but he has a reputation as someone who only listens to himself, and with that attitude he is part of the problem and not the solution. We all want what is best for Leicester Speedway. We all want a long term and sustainable future for the sport in the city. We also want a stadium and a track that we can be proud of. How we arrive at the second part of that is something I do not have the answer to...

• Like 6

Well, well, well, never seen so many experts on here !

Cant speak about the new Leicester, haven't been have friends who have. Most of them like going there, they say there;s a good atmosphere !

As for Buster, what all you budding stadium owners need to understand is that most of the income at Kings Lynn comes from Stock Cars, not speedway.

In order to facilitate both sports, Buster laid concrete down around 2005, trying running cars in the winter with a grass centre green, it gets a little 'mucky'.

To make money from a stadium, you need to run as many profitable events as possible, throughout the year, the concrete allows this to happen

Well, well, well, never seen so many experts on here !

Cant speak about the new Leicester, haven't been have friends who have. Most of them like going there, they say there;s a good atmosphere !

As for Buster, what all you budding stadium owners need to understand is that most of the income at Kings Lynn comes from Stock Cars, not speedway.

In order to facilitate both sports, Buster laid concrete down around 2005, trying running cars in the winter with a grass centre green, it gets a little 'mucky'.

To make money from a stadium, you need to run as many profitable events as possible, throughout the year, the concrete allows this to happen

I bet there is - the excitement of wondering if they'll actually see an overtake this week! :o

• Like 1

I bet there is - the excitement of wondering if they'll actually see an overtake this week! :o

. Kings Lynn along with wolves are the two best tracks in the EL that's fact how the hell DH can say his track is better is beyond me bad shape no passing just a bore fest FACT...........
  • Like 1

.....or Sub-editors who take out whole sentences or paragraphs to make the story fit the space, with not understanding the context of the whole piece!!!!! :oops:

Speaking up for the subs here, one might mention writers who are asked to produce so many hundred words and submit twice as many.

• Like 1

Speaking up for the subs here, one might mention writers who are asked to produce so many hundred words and submit twice as many.

....but that should be the skill of the sub-editor - shortening the story whilst ensuring it still makes the same sense and in the same context as the writer originally intended!! :wink:

Edited by Skidder1

....but that should be the skill of the sub-editor - shortening the story whilst ensuring it still makes the same sense and in the same context as the writer originally intended!! :wink:

Correct. We don't always get it right, though. Mind you, the same can apply to the writer...

In passing, many years ago I subbed a newspaper column in which the writer discussed sub-editors and described them, to the best of my memory, as "people who write headlines bearing no relation to the story (see above)" which rather put me in a cleft stick.

• Like 1

I also have first hand knowledge of 'news' sub-editors subbing and giving headlines to sports stories - which is the angle I was taking in my earlier comments.