British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside V Belle Vue 15/8/14

6pm FINAL WEATHER CHECK:

No rain at all here at the track since last night and threat of possible showers that were intimated earlier today has evaporated.

MEETING DEFINITELY ON - FIRST RACE 8pm

Although Belle Vue are turning up with a very disappointing team on paper, I'm hoping there will be some good entertaining racing.

It'll be good to see Robbo back at Arena even if it is for the opposition. I wouldn't mind seeing plenty of thirds and lasts for Worrall too!

• Like 1

Nasty fall for Davey in heat 15, although it's good to hear that that ambulance is only taking him for a precautionary ankle x-ray. I wonder if we'll see Danny guesting at Leicester tomorrow as well?

Scott worked very hard for his points tonight. Kim was also unlucky not to score more - he's looking much more confident now than he has done in the past.

A very solid effort from the Hammers - particularly Lewis and our reserves. Another paid max for Ben Morley including 2 wins over Worrall - brilliant!

Fingers crossed Davey isn't out for long (if at all).

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 1

Once again some very good racing at the Arena, despite a not particularly close match.

A word of praise for Stuart Robson. I thought he did tremendously well to lay his bike down when Davey reared and came off right in front of him. An ankle injury for Davey could have been so much worse without Robbo's reaction speed.

• Like 2

A word of praise for Stuart Robson. I thought he did tremendously well to lay his bike down when Davey reared and came off right in front of him. An ankle injury for Davey could have been so much worse without Robbo's reaction speed.

Absolutely - I forgot to mention this in my last post. He did well to put the bike down so quickly ... luckily for Davey it was an experienced rider behind him!

Other than Davey's injury it was a really entertaining night of racing.

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 1

A very solid effort from the Hammers - particularly Lewis and our reserves. Another paid max for Ben Morley including 2 wins over Worrall - brilliant!

I thought young Bens win in the re-run of heat 4 was the race of the night . With Kim Excluded and Ben off gate 4 it looked like a good chance of a 5-1 to the Aces but the way Ben hunted down first Neilson then Richie Worrall was what speedway is all about. The going out and beating Worrall from the gate later in the meeting was an excellent performance.

Nice to see Adam Ellis looking more confident ' His confidence seemed to dip a bit after some nasty falls earlier in the season but he seems to have changed his style now. No more hanging off the bike like Chris Holder, instead he had arms and legs neatly tucked in and looked much more in control of the bike. Reminded me a bit of Matej Zagars style.

People go on about NL riders watering the league down but I thought Ben and Adam were really good value tonight. Stefan Neilson did a decent job for the Aces as well.

Lewis looked very determined for his paid 14. If only he could turn that on more consistently.

• Like 1

What has happened to Richie?

He has made no progress at all this year. Still more or less on his starting average. I think he always has been a gater hand not much of an over taker and looking at the way he riides I doubt he will ever get a lot better than he is now unless there is a big change of approach. If you compare him with Richard Lawson, Worrall,was much better than Lawson two years ago but now Lawson is almost a point higher on his average and far better on away tracks.

Having said that, the way Ben Morley beat Richie last night when he hunted him down and passed him was just one of those occasions when something clicks in a riders mind, and they decide they are going for it and nothing is going stop them. Probably the best ride of Bens career. Anyone who was there wil remember it for a long time.

• Like 2

I thought young Bens win in the re-run of heat 4 was the race of the night . With Kim Excluded and Ben off gate 4 it looked like a good chance of a 5-1 to the Aces but the way Ben hunted down first Neilson then Richie Worrall was what speedway is all about. The going out and beating Worrall from the gate later in the meeting was an excellent performance.

Nice to see Adam Ellis looking more confident ' His confidence seemed to dip a bit after some nasty falls earlier in the season but he seems to have changed his style now. No more hanging off the bike like Chris Holder, instead he had arms and legs neatly tucked in and looked much more in control of the bike. Reminded me a bit of Matej Zagars style.

People go on about NL riders watering the league down but I thought Ben and Adam were really good value tonight. Stefan Neilson did a decent job for the Aces as well.

Yes, very good racing and brilliant effort from the reserves. Ben wanted that race more and it showed - such a determined ride! I'll be remembering that one for a while.

Richie seems to have gone backwards this year, making no progress despite spending some of his time racing (supposedly) weaker riders. I've always been unsure why he's been shouted about as being one of Britain's ones for the future as he often seems to get lost when he doesn't gate, backing down when other riders get near him.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I make tongue in cheek remarks about wanting him to not score many when he visits Lakeside given his past with us, I hope he can progress into a more well rounded rider. Having said that, I'm more than happy to have Richard in the team instead. A great guy, an improving and entertaining rider, and a good influence on the team I think. He did a great job of guiding the reserves home to 5-1s last night (and it looked to me like he slowed approaching the line to let them take the wins!).

The much criticised track at Lakeside produces great racing every meeting i have attended this season, even when the score line suggests a bit of a walk over The atmosphere too is greatly improved on years gone by.. Lewis Bridger was in great form as was Davey Watt and hopefully is not badly injured after lifting off the second bend in heat 15, ,and the team riding between the fast track reserves Adam Ellis and Ben Morley who had a brilliant night including the ride of his career so far, taking both Stefan Nielsen and Richie Worrell from the back and securing his second paid max in Hammers colours. and then when they team rode with Richard Lawson it was a joy to watch ... Kim Nillson showed in flashes what he is capable of,, and Danny King guest battled hard for his few points... Scott Nichols was the pick of the visitors...

• Like 2